Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » Smithing!
Smithing! [message #16138] Wed, 24 January 2007 06:41 Go to next message
Gllen Nadix is currently offline  Gllen Nadix
I just had an idea!

A Smithing Skill. Well, sort of, it wouldn't really be a skill, but close. Since the experience and all that can't be applied, there would simply be extremely difficult enemies to fight before you can make the next level of weapons.

But it would work like this:

You need to gain certain items, including metals, woods, gems, and designs, and when you have all those items, you'll be able to (at any town smithy's shop) forge and smith your own weapons. The designs would be the hardest thing to obtain, protected by increasingly more and more powerful enemies in relation to the weapon design they protect.

Then, when you go to a smith (like the one in bowerstone) you could use his forge and anvil to make weapons based on the designs you had found, and the raw materials you had.

So, what do you guys think, is this a decent idea for a project?
I plan to undertake the majority of it on myself, but if anyone wishes to contribute, I would gladly accept it. I think it would make it a bit more of a task to get better weapons rather than people just getting a decent bit of cash and jumping from iron to master weapons.

Most people fear death, but not I.
No, what I fear most is living forever.
Re: Smithing! [message #16143 is a reply to message #16138] Wed, 24 January 2007 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kain is currently offline  Kain

really good idea. when i read it, i thought of "monster hunter freedom" on the psp.

i dont know if it is possible, but if it would, fable would be more exciting, even after finishing "dragon jack", because you want to get the best weapon.

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Smithing! [message #16148 is a reply to message #16138] Wed, 24 January 2007 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, It would include all new legendaries, and monsters that put Dragon Jack to shame. I'm working on making a list of all the weapons and items and what items are needed to make what weapons, i'll post it up here by tommorrow.
  • Attachment: 1.txt
    (Size: 5.10KB, Downloaded 626 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2007 10:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Smithing! [message #16153 is a reply to message #16138] Wed, 24 January 2007 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to double-post but I must, it won't allow me to post multiple files per message and I have two files to post realated to the Smithing Skill Idea. Also, rememeber, this is only the work of about 1 hour of writing and 3 minutes of thought, so any and all suggestions will be accepted.
  • Attachment: 2.txt
    (Size: 2.19KB, Downloaded 568 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2007 10:16]

Re: Smithing! [message #16155 is a reply to message #16153] Wed, 24 January 2007 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcopolo is currently offline  Marcopolo

i know how to do this

give the smithy fire like the one at bowerstone a chest script then make a custom key such as and item called "raw materials" to "open/use" the smithy fire then you get the basic sword and the "plans" (could be a note or something) then you use that note to "open/use" an anvil to get the final product

the only problem would be i think you'd have to have a different anvil/chest for each sword so say you could forge only one sword in bowerstone and only one in knothole glade and so on.

i'm not shure bit it may be possible to make one chest use multiple keys so that you have to have say a metal chunk, an ebony chunk, and a crystal chunk for it to open, but i'm not shure if that's possible or if you'd just have to have a series of different smithing tools as steps. another thing i think may be possible is have one "chest" with a few compartments so that each different "key" or item would give you a different thing. but this is all just speculation, i have no idea if these last two ideas are possible, but i know you could do it the first way

There once was a member of this land,
a humorous posting he planned,
but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
and now he has found himself banned.
Re: Smithing! [message #16174 is a reply to message #16138] Wed, 24 January 2007 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not quite what I was thinking.

I was thinking a custom menu, sort of like the weapon purchasing menu, but it would require you to have certain items to make the weapons, like a silver key chest, but with a menu to pick what you want to make, and it will take the items (except for the plans to normal weapons) after you make it.

And also, the plans would be protected by monsters that you would have to kill all of to get the plans as a drop. And the raw materials would be scattered about albion, in chests, demon doors, and where ever else I pleased.

But yes, you would use the forge/anvil for melee weapons, possibly a workbench for ranged weapons, and the select from a menu which weapon you wanted to make. The game would then check to see if you had the items, and if you did: Voila! You have a new weapon.

Also, there would be one set of designs for normal weapons and another set of designs for legendaries.

That is, if any of this is even possible

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2007 18:28]

Re: Smithing! [message #16175 is a reply to message #16138] Wed, 24 January 2007 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ailia is currently offline  Ailia
For now any custom menus and such are completly out of the question, would require some major exe modding ^^
Re: Smithing! [message #16176 is a reply to message #16175] Thu, 25 January 2007 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah, that's why i suggested what i did...

but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
Re: Smithing! [message #16177 is a reply to message #16138] Thu, 25 January 2007 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, since that is out of the question, how about this idea, the forge works like a demon door, takes you to a small, secluded area. Then in that small area, there are many different chests, each clearly labeled as the item you'd get from it. Then it requires those different raw materials as keys, but takes them when you use it. Would that be workable?

Re: Smithing! [message #16181 is a reply to message #16177] Thu, 25 January 2007 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

dont think you can have the game take away an item unless you have a cutscene and a quest so no i guess that's out of the question

but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
Re: Smithing! [message #16186 is a reply to message #16138] Thu, 25 January 2007 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok then, how about you just need the items, it won't take them away. But you'll only be able to use the smithing once per item, cause they'd be in chests, and after that you can't get the items again.

Re: Smithing! [message #16187 is a reply to message #16186] Thu, 25 January 2007 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Gllen Nadix wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 23:35

Ok then, how about you just need the items, it won't take them away. But you'll only be able to use the smithing once per item, cause they'd be in chests, and after that you can't get the items again.

That would work. But it'd be nice if someone could check to see if you can trigger cutscenes via regular markers.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Smithing! [message #16197 is a reply to message #16186] Fri, 26 January 2007 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Gllen Nadix wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 21:35

y'know that's pretty much what i said just simplified...

but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
Re: Smithing! [message #16207 is a reply to message #16197] Fri, 26 January 2007 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very true, but thats just because I realized how difficult what I had originally envisioned doing would be (as in imposssible) so I went with your idea, only slightly different as instead of the forge being a chest, it would be a teleporter, then in the room it teleports you to, there would be another teleporter for each of the different types of weapons, then in those rooms would be the chests with Iron/Steel/Obsidian/Master/Legendary or the equivalents of these weapon quality levels.

But you are right, I'm going with the method you suggested, just slightly more in depth.

Re: Smithing! [message #16224 is a reply to message #16138] Sun, 28 January 2007 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kain is currently offline  Kain

when do you think will this mod be released?
i ask because it sounds so cool... xD

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Smithing! [message #16226 is a reply to message #16138] Sun, 28 January 2007 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As soon as I get the teleports working and the rooms made, I'll post a beta. Then I'll see about making the different key-based chests. It should not take more than a few weeks. Asuming all goes well.

Re: Smithing! [message #16227 is a reply to message #16187] Sun, 28 January 2007 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
BlueTooth wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 07:50

That would work. But it'd be nice if someone could check to see if you can trigger cutscenes via regular markers.

When I was messing around with the cutscenes, I tried a whole lot of ways, but none of them seemed to be working. Although, I admit I don't know all the fancy ways of using the TNGs.

Who knows, maybe one of the CTCs does this...

Busy!
Re: Smithing! [message #16229 is a reply to message #16227] Sun, 28 January 2007 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

baystone i managed to activate a cutscene using one of the fae stones, the one that has the silver key in it, if you could just edit that cutscene somehow then you may be in business

but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
Re: Smithing! [message #16249 is a reply to message #16138] Mon, 29 January 2007 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, Marco, could you tell me how you got the game to activate a cutscene? And what are fae stones?

Thanks again.

Re: Smithing! [message #16252 is a reply to message #16249] Mon, 29 January 2007 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

http://fabletlcmod.com/wiki/doku.php?id=def_editing:cutscene s

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: Smithing! [message #16253 is a reply to message #16229] Mon, 29 January 2007 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcopolo wrote on Sun, 28 January 2007 23:07

baystone i managed to activate a cutscene using one of the fae stones, the one that has the silver key in it, if you could just edit that cutscene somehow then you may be in business

I remember you mentioned that, but if I remember correctly there was some issue with it... I'm not sure what it was though. Smile

EDIT: Ah yeah, at least one of the problems is that it didn't mention the cutscene anywhere. Or I just didn't find it.

Hmm, maybe I should check it out again.

OldBoy wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 15:33

http://fabletlcmod.com/wiki/doku.php?id=def_editing:cutscene s

Yeah, we can write cutscenes, the problem is we can't trigger them in proper places.

Busy!

[Updated on: Mon, 29 January 2007 07:02]

Re: Smithing! [message #16277 is a reply to message #16253] Mon, 29 January 2007 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

baystone i dont think it was a stored cutscene i think it just accesses the two camera point scripted splines near by it so i wonder what would happen if i screwed around with those numbers

/me patents the use of the rock for cs Wink

but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
Re: Smithing! [message #16302 is a reply to message #16138] Tue, 30 January 2007 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, just so everyone knows, I'm putting this mod on hold until:
A) I finish my Weapon Revamping.
and
B) Somebody figures out how to start cutscenes on demand.

I will finish it eventually, just not until those two things are done.

Re: Smithing! [message #16333 is a reply to message #16302] Wed, 31 January 2007 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slashkamei is currently offline  slashkamei
well why do you need a cutsence? Can't you just do it without one?
Re: Smithing! [message #16347 is a reply to message #16138] Thu, 01 February 2007 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, can't remove items from the hero without one.

Plus, it makes it far easier than trying to completely rework how silver key chests function in order to create my own chest+key system.

One way or the other, I won't be starting on this until I finish with my Weapon Revamp, and by then hopefully we'll be able to start cutscenes at will. If not, I'll consider ripping apart the silver key chests scripts. But don't count on me actually doing so.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 February 2007 08:26]

Re: Smithing! [message #16350 is a reply to message #16138] Thu, 01 February 2007 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked out what Marco was talking about earlier... here's the results. Smile

A solid way to trigger a cutscene at will is by using the Silverkey generator used in Darkwood.

The basic idea:

1. Add some object (like a signpost) to a TNG, make it so that it can be targeted and perhaps gives user some feedback about what to do.

2. Add a duplicate of the previous object into TNG at the same location, but set its ObjectScale to slightly smaller. Also, set the ScriptName to TargetForKey.

Now when the user hits the object the CS_STANDING_STONE cutscene will be triggered. This works only once for one instance of the object that has the TargetForKey scriptname.

The bad side of this system is that the Darkwood silverkey thing is lost.

Busy!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2007 02:59]

Re: Smithing! [message #16352 is a reply to message #16138] Thu, 01 February 2007 10:14 Go to previous message
Yes, but I need to be able to start a cutscene for each smithed item. Thats a lot of cutscenes. And they'll need to be started from a different location than darkwood lake. So, until you guys figure out how to start any number of cutscenes and activate them from anywhere we please, I'm pretty much screwed. So for now, I have tought up a nice array of far more possible mods than this currently is, and am in the process of working on them. Until then, I'm done with the Smithing mod. If somebody else wants to try and do it with what we currently have, be my guest, but It will be better if and when the cutscenes have been hacked.

Previous Topic: Spawning Jack's Mask (wearable) - can someone help?
Next Topic: is there a turual on how to make weapons?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:08:21 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01437 seconds