Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Importing meshes into fable explorer
Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60303] Sun, 21 November 2010 01:26 Go to next message
Scythe of Blades is currently offline  Scythe of Blades
hello, pardon my ignorance but I wish to inquire on how to get a finished clothing mesh (.x) from 3ds max 9 into fable explorer, ive been searching for a detailed way to do this but as of yet i cant find any. you see im making scythes outfit for fable tlc i just finished the trousers by using crazy bunnys video tutorial, i have all of the bones assigned correctly it is textured etc so long story short is how do i get a brand new .x file into FE?

I envy because of the heart,
I glutton because of the heart,
I covet because of the heart,
I am prideful because of the heart,
I sloth because of the heart,
I rage because of the heart,
Because of the heart
I lust for everything about you
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60304 is a reply to message #60303] Sun, 21 November 2010 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Start by importing over an existing mesh, in this case one of the Hero's trouser meshes. Assign the textures*, rename the entry to something unique, apply changes, package the edited entry in an FMP, close FE without saving changes. Open FE again, load the FMP. Actions|Save Mods and Run Fable.

Do this correctly and you'll have duplicated an animated mesh entry with the desired edits.

*Important note. Something you'll need to know when assigning textures.
JohnDoe wrote on Wed, 30 December 2009 16:37

Apply Changes - Very important. If you edit the submesh properties table, click this Apply Changes button first, then click the upper Apply Changes button, else it won't work.
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60308 is a reply to message #60304] Sun, 21 November 2010 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so if im following you right, while in 3ds max assign a existing fable trouser mesh to scythes, i then export it into a folde, open FE go into graphics.big load the .x file there give it a unique name and apply changes?

Because of the heart
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60309 is a reply to message #60308] Sun, 21 November 2010 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
No, you're done with 3DS. Open FE, find one of the Hero's trouser meshes, import your new mesh over that. Then continue with the rest of the steps.
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60321 is a reply to message #60309] Sun, 21 November 2010 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok then, so i have scythes trousers as a .x file i open fable explorer double click graphics.big scroll down to HERO_MESH_DRESS_TROUSERS_01 open that, now do i import the .x file to the sub header and the entry data? or do i leave those alone and click load right next to where it says save model LOD, and import the .x file that way? do i mess with the submeshes and materials tabs? youll have to forgive me ive been reading things on this forum for over a year now and i know you have little patience for people like me, but for me to be able to do this im gonna need extremely precise directions on what to do, sorry if i am wasting your time.

Because of the heart
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60323 is a reply to message #60321] Sun, 21 November 2010 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Don't touch entry data/sub header as that's for raw data. Click Load LOD. Interesting but unrelated note for weapons and other types of meshes, you load the mesh for all but the last LOD. The cool thing about the Hero's clothing is that there's only one so you don't have to worry about the rest.

Now, after importing the mesh, switch over to the materials tab. This is where you assign textures. There will be a list of submeshes on the left, click one. On the right is where you'll find the submesh data. All you'll be doing here is adding a texture ID number for Base Texture ID and changing MaxTextureLayers to 1.

This part is important. You're going to see two buttons labeled Apply Changes. One is at the bottom and the other is near the top with those other buttons you were considering earlier. The one to click right now is at the bottom. When you edit a submesh, click the bottom Apply Changes first, then continue to the next submesh. When all submeshes are done, click the top Apply Changes button.

Then follow along with my earlier instructions.
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60324 is a reply to message #60323] Sun, 21 November 2010 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah, you have been most patient with me and i appreciate it, so if the first thing i do when i open MESH_HERO_DRESS_TROUSERS_01 is load the lod then ive been doing it right. but that means i must have messed up something in 3ds max, because when i try to load the lod i get an error saying object reference not set to instance of an object, or something very similar to that, i dont suppose you know what my problem is this time?

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2010 21:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60329 is a reply to message #60324] Sun, 21 November 2010 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
You'll want to make sure your hierarchy is correct in 3DS as an orphan submesh will cause FE to throw that error. A mistake I make all the time (just a few hours ago in fact) is having everything set up just right but I forgot to parent my new mesh into the hierarchy. This is an easy thing to fix though, you can even do it in notepad if you know what you're doing.

There are a couple other things that can go wrong but let's start with that one because it's the most likely and easiest to explain and fix. The rest just gets complicated.
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60333 is a reply to message #60329] Sun, 21 November 2010 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i figured that was the problem i was just hoping it wasnt, because as i hear those are rather tedious to fix. if you would be so kind as to let me know what i need to do in notepad to fix this, or link me to another thread that explains this process in its entirety i would be most grateful, im kinda itchin to get this done i just dl'ed a star wars 3d model pack and am lookin to put some outfits into fable (i.e Darth revan)
here is the notepad for my .x file of scythes trousers

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 18:41]

Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60346 is a reply to message #60333] Mon, 22 November 2010 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Remove that entire thing from your post. While you can fix it in notepad, if you don't know how, then you can do it the other way, which is in 3DS before export.

This is an example hierarchy from a mesh straight out of Fable.

http://i.imgur.com/USyox.png

You want your mesh to look just like that.

Scene-Root
-Mesh Parent
--Submeshes
-Bone Parent
--Bones
-Orphaned_Helpers

The bone parent and all of the bones need to have a Bone offset matrix child node. All of those child nodes need to be at 0,0,0.

If your hierarchy doesn't look like that, show it to me and we'll get started.
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60350 is a reply to message #60346] Mon, 22 November 2010 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scene-root
MESH_HERO_DRESS_TROUSERS_01
TROUSERS_SCYTHE
movement_dummy
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
sub_movement_dummy
bip_01
bip_01-pelvis
bip_01-spine
bip_01-R_thigh
bip_01-L_calf
bip_01-L_foot
bip_01-L_toe0
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
bip_01-thigh
bip_01-R_calf
bip_01-R_foot
bip_01-R_toe0
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
bip01-spine1
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
BONE_OFFSET_MATRIX
Orphan_Helpers

now its giving me the "cannot export module" whenever i try to export it using panda exporter, i have created one weapon using panda exporter so i know that works.... now im just stumped...

Edit: nevermind i got it working and loaded into FE thank you so much john i sincerely appreciate the help, my only problem now is that in the preview for the trousers the mesh is rotated the wrong way it should be standing up but its laying down.

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 19:41]

Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60352 is a reply to message #60350] Mon, 22 November 2010 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well....its a start...

index.php?t=getfile&id=9313&private=0

Because of the heart
Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60356 is a reply to message #60352] Mon, 22 November 2010 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Scythe of Blades wrote on Mon, 22 November 2010 21:33

in the preview for the trousers the mesh is rotated the wrong way
This one is tricky and requires black magic. The technique is simple, screw around with the export settings. Starting with the correct settings doesn't work. What I do is export a mesh several times, scrambling through all the settings and options for each export, then when I'm ready to see if the mesh will export properly, I put them all to these settings. It's black magic because it works, though no one really knows why it works.
Scythe of Blades wrote on Mon, 22 November 2010 22:15

Back to the drawing board. Make sure the mesh is at origin. What this means is it has to be positioned at 0,0,0, rotated at 0,0,0, and scaled at 100% on each axis. Further, you'll probably have to skin it/rig the bones again. Make sure to delete the Skin modifier before adding a new one.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 20:58]

Re: Importing meshes into fable explorer [message #60377 is a reply to message #60356] Tue, 23 November 2010 01:34 Go to previous message
i think the problem is when i select the edit envelopes button, i didnt really move anything in there so could that be the problem with the way the mesh looks in game, also i did get it to stand the right way in the preview of it. i know there is a certain thread on here that details how to turn new clothing into an object so i can place it in game, but i cant seem to find it, so if you could direct me to that thread so i can make sure im doing that right as well i would be most appreciative.

Edit: another interesting thing to note when i look at the full mesh of scythe in 3ds max in contrast to the one in the graphics.big in FE, the left and right sides of the mesh are flipflopped on either one...no clipping or anything like that, the left and right arms are switched etc...

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2010 04:40]

Previous Topic: Importing/Opening A Weapon In Blender
Next Topic: Blender mesh broken