Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Gameplay balance
Gameplay balance [message #60742] Thu, 16 December 2010 16:20 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Objective: Revamp Fable gameplay balance to be steady and steadily increasing in difficulty. Not necessarily make it harder or easier, just sensible.

So I was thinking about putting together a gameplay balance mod and started taking stock of all things that affect balance. And then I realized that the list includes everything. Here's the list that I've come up with so far. It overlaps and is a bit redundant, but that's better than not having all the bases covered.

List of balance aspects

I'm willing to bet I missed a ton of things. Right now I just want a complete list, I'll figure out what to revamp and how later. Feel free to chime in.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 01:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60743 is a reply to message #60742] Thu, 16 December 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicomon is currently offline  nicomon
Maybe something involving regions?

I divided by zero and survived.
Two of Diamonds, people. This is important.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60744 is a reply to message #60743] Thu, 16 December 2010 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
nicomon wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 18:45

Maybe something involving regions?
What would regions have to do with gameplay balance? Except for where things are (covered under creature/item placement), I don't really know what could be done with regions to affect balance.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60745 is a reply to message #60744] Thu, 16 December 2010 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scythe of Blades is currently offline  Scythe of Blades
Gold rebalance, it far too easy to get gratuitous amounts of gold early on, thus leading to platemail and the solus greatsword before you get half way through the game

I envy because of the heart,
I glutton because of the heart,
I covet because of the heart,
I am prideful because of the heart,
I sloth because of the heart,
I rage because of the heart,
Because of the heart
I lust for everything about you

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2010 17:21]

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60746 is a reply to message #60745] Thu, 16 December 2010 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IDontKnow
Scythe of Blades wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 01:21

the solus greatsword before you get half way through the game

If I remember correctly I believe that after the arena your already past half way through the game.

27/4/11 23:XX (11:XX Pm) She went to a better place. 28/4/11 10:XX She was burried; RIP

Leren van de taal van Nederland is leuk.
Ik heb nog veel te leren, hoewel.

Tengo la ambición de aprender a español.
Yet I have no idea how to start.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60747 is a reply to message #60746] Thu, 16 December 2010 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really, from that point on you still have to go to the northern wastes, prison, beat maze id say prison is about halfway through the game

Because of the heart
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60748 is a reply to message #60745] Thu, 16 December 2010 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Scythe of Blades wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 19:21

Gold rebalance, it far too easy to get gratuitous amounts of gold early on, thus leading to platemail and the solus greatsword before you get half way through the game
Solus is a weapon and plate mail counts as an armor, item placement's already on the list. Everything else about gold is already accounted for, chests and such... but I didn't think about other ways of getting gold such as quest rewards, pub games or boasting. That'd be a good thing to add to the list.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2010 18:39]

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60749 is a reply to message #60747] Thu, 16 December 2010 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IDontKnow
I'd still say around the arena is about half way through the game,
If I ever got asked.

Also..

You might want to do something about the simple trading system.
E.g. Buy 10 diamonds at 543 each, as you buy them to price should go up. [This probably means getting rid/changing of the buy in bulk option, which is a simple maths thing E.g. 543x10=5430 [That's how simple the system is, as far as I can see.]

27/4/11 23:XX (11:XX Pm) She went to a better place. 28/4/11 10:XX She was burried; RIP

Leren van de taal van Nederland is leuk.
Ik heb nog veel te leren, hoewel.

Tengo la ambición de aprender a español.
Yet I have no idea how to start.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2010 19:30]

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60750 is a reply to message #60749] Thu, 16 December 2010 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
IDontKnow wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 21:28

I'd still say around the arena is about half way through the game,
If I ever got asked.

Also..
No one asked, not sure anyone really cares. But that does remind me of arena round rewards. While I can change the amount, there's still the matter of the announcer saying how much gold is accumulated. I might be able to remove those lines from the cutscene though.
IDontKnow wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 21:28

You might want to do something about the simple trading system.
E.g. Buy 10 diamonds at 543 each, as you buy them to price should go up. [This probably means getting rid/changing of the buy in bulk option, which is a simple maths thing E.g. 543x10=5430 [That's how simple the system is, as far as I can see.]

Already on the list as 'Item cost variables'. The general idea is to null it out. Shopkeepers don't rip you off, you don't rip them off, everything's retail value. Ideally, I'd like to have all things cost a certain amount, and selling items only gets you half the retail, but I don't think I can set that up.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60751 is a reply to message #60750] Thu, 16 December 2010 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicomon is currently offline  nicomon
JohnDoe wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 19:34

Ideally, I'd like to have all things cost a certain amount, and selling items only gets you half the retail, but I don't think I can set that up.

If you do that, you should get rid of trade items as well.

I divided by zero and survived.
Two of Diamonds, people. This is important.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60752 is a reply to message #60751] Thu, 16 December 2010 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
nicomon wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 21:44

Or find some ridiculous purpose for them, but yea, if I get the pricing done in traditional RPG style I'll likely just toss them. The original idea behind them was to make money by selling them for profit. One other idea is to have them as items that can be found/stolen here and there, and sold as hot loot.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60753 is a reply to message #60752] Thu, 16 December 2010 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the gold you recieve for marriage? and the glitch where you can put trophies in a house, sell it for more than its worth break into the house, steal the trophies back and buy it again for less and keep selling it?

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2010 20:01]

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60754 is a reply to message #60753] Thu, 16 December 2010 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Scythe of Blades wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 22:00

What about the gold you recieve for marriage? and the glitch where you can put trophies in a house, sell it for more than its worth break into the house, steal the trophies back and buy it again for less and keep selling it?
Those are all good. Dowry can be edited. Trophy value can be edited, so can house value, I can also remove that problem altogether by making it such that you cannot hang trophies in houses. Good additions.

Way late edit: Or I can just make it such that you cannot sell the house or rent it out.
Even later edit: Breakdown of demon doors.
WitchwoodCavern
DemonDoor_LookoutPoint

DemonDoor_BanditCampPath
DemonDoor_Barrowfields
DemonDoor_Bordello
DemonDoor_DarkwoodSporeSwamp
DemonDoor_GreatwoodBanditToll
DemonDoor_GreatwoodCaves
DemonDoor_Guild
DemonDoor_HauntedHouse
DemonDoor_KnotholeGlade
DemonDoor_Necropolis
DemonDoor_GreatwoodGrannysHouse

The ones that are stricken out are needed for quests. Unlisted demon doors only connect to other regions (after Thunder fight; after graveyard quest). So that leaves 11 demon doors that can be removed.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 December 2010 01:03]

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60874 is a reply to message #60751] Tue, 21 December 2010 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mayki is currently offline  Mayki
nicomon wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 20:44

JohnDoe wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 19:34

Ideally, I'd like to have all things cost a certain amount, and selling items only gets you half the retail, but I don't think I can set that up.

What about making it so the pricing isn't based on current stock,
but instead on stock + quantity the shop will be purchasing,
or just purchase quantity,
that way you can't use the same items to become a millionaire,
instead you'd be forced to buy from multiple shops to sell to one,
or maybe limit how much the shops want,
so they won't buy 100 wedding rings from you,
they'll only purchase a set amount so as to not overstock.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60879 is a reply to message #60874] Tue, 21 December 2010 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

I have an idea for adding balance myself. Make enemy npc attacks(except for bosses and undead)slower to make it easier to be a decent swordsman. Also it would be nice if your character didn't start out with 1h combat animations like that of a master. Seriously, he wields those things gracefully as a CHILD! Would it be possible to make new weapon classes specifically designed so that you have newbie, novice, intermediate, and master swordsmanship styles? I think that might help balance out fable some.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60897 is a reply to message #60879] Wed, 22 December 2010 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Butts is currently offline  James Butts
asmcint wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 10:06

I have an idea for adding balance myself. Make enemy npc attacks(except for bosses and undead)slower to make it easier to be a decent swordsman. Also it would be nice if your character didn't start out with 1h combat animations like that of a master. Seriously, he wields those things gracefully as a CHILD! Would it be possible to make new weapon classes specifically designed so that you have newbie, novice, intermediate, and master swordsmanship styles? I think that might help balance out fable some.

erm.... he has had years of guild training..........

Dammit
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60898 is a reply to message #60897] Wed, 22 December 2010 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And not much could be done about it anyway, except for editing the animations so you attack like a zombie or something. But there would be no way to change the animations back to normal based on renown, experience or alignment. In short it's not possible.

Because of the heart
Re: Gameplay balance [message #60902 is a reply to message #60898] Wed, 22 December 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Could you do new weapon classes with novice, intermediate, and master combat styles? Master combat ones being 10000 gold just for steel, and novice being standard price for current weapons.
EDIT:And to james butts, he has that uber masterful combat style even being a little kid with his stick.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2010 11:23]

Re: Gameplay balance [message #60906 is a reply to message #60874] Wed, 22 December 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Lots of ideas, good. Smile

Mayki wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 09:29

What about making it so the pricing isn't based on current stock,
but instead on stock + quantity the shop will be purchasing,
or just purchase quantity,
that way you can't use the same items to become a millionaire,
instead you'd be forced to buy from multiple shops to sell to one,
or maybe limit how much the shops want,
so they won't buy 100 wedding rings from you,
they'll only purchase a set amount so as to not overstock.
I can kill the shop exploit, but not the way you're talking about, there's just no way I'll be able to set that up.

asmcint wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 12:06

That's mostly animation stuff, and sadly there's hardly anything that can be done with that.

Scythe of Blades wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 10:08

And not much could be done about it anyway, except for editing the animations so you attack like a zombie or something. But there would be no way to change the animations back to normal based on renown, experience or alignment. In short it's not possible.
That's exactly right, with a few exceptions. The Hero uses different running animations after the arena quest. They're exactly the same as the old animations, but something in the game makes the switch. As far as I can tell, that's the only time this happens. There's also that one augment type that causes changes in the Hero's attack style, I can't really explain that one either.

asmcint wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 13:22

Could you do new weapon classes with novice, intermediate, and master combat styles? Master combat ones being 10000 gold just for steel, and novice being standard price for current weapons.
EDIT:And to james butts, he has that uber masterful combat style even being a little kid with his stick.
No. I am limited to what I can work with. There's nothing in place that would allow that. Weapons and items don't change combat style.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61159 is a reply to message #60742] Sun, 16 January 2011 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DarkONI is currently offline  DarkONI
What can be done about the Greatwood bandits? (the bandit toll camp)

After you slaughter them the region is totally empty, there should be something else in case that the bandits are dead.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61160 is a reply to message #61159] Mon, 17 January 2011 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

Here is my version of the Bandit Toll and Greatwood4(Greatwood Gorge when combined in-game). There are traders and a tent and a bed that will be there all the time, before and after the toll quest. I removed all the fences and rocks. If you want things to be the same, only add traders, copy the individual scripts to your original tngs. The bench teleports to the Darkwood Demon Door Region btw. The second tng is not vital, it only makes that part of Greatwood Gorge bare also.
Greatwood4:
http://www.box.net/shared/204td3q7d9

GreatwoodBanditToll:
http://www.box.net/shared/t0ixp9p8j4

Re: Gameplay balance [message #61161 is a reply to message #61159] Mon, 17 January 2011 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
I've been putting a lot of time studying all the CREATURE entries that use definitions and animations compatible with the bandit mesh in the hopes of creating the perfect bandit. Sadly I think I'm going to end up using the vanilla assassin. Weird how that works out. TNG editing will come much later, studies come first.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61165 is a reply to message #60742] Tue, 18 January 2011 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
I'd say remove all the items you get from barrels and such. And put ownership defs on the destroyable objects too. You shouldn't be able to go busting up someone's barrels just to get a potion or apple...

As for the trophy/house exploit, I think upping the crime penalties should help with that. As long as the rest of the income/health stuff is balanced out it'll provide a good reason not to commit crimes.

Throw in guard upgrades sooner with the possibility of wizard guards and I'd be happy.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61178 is a reply to message #60902] Wed, 19 January 2011 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Butts is currently offline  James Butts
asmcint wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 11:22

Dude, how can you call that graceful, I can swing a stink around too, that's all hes doing. doesnt the child have separate animations john? could he be made to swing like a zombie only as a child?

Dammit
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61179 is a reply to message #61178] Wed, 19 January 2011 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
The child Hero doesn't exactly face any real enemies as a child so it's negligible.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61182 is a reply to message #61179] Thu, 20 January 2011 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

JohnDoe wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 21:07

The child Hero doesn't exactly face any real enemies as a child so it's negligible.

Reminds me of this mod.
Great little mod that, unfortunately it's not on available anymore.
Anyone still have it?

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: Gameplay balance [message #61185 is a reply to message #61182] Thu, 20 January 2011 04:28 Go to previous message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

OldBoy wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 02:25

JohnDoe wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 21:07

Reminds me of this mod.
Great little mod that, unfortunately it's not on available anymore.
Anyone still have it?

I posted what I think is a similar mod in the thread OldBoy linked to. It lets you do what the original mod did, the best I can figure from reading the thread.

Previous Topic: FE game.bin problems
Next Topic: Need help!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:38:51 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01353 seconds