Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Weapon Idea Factory
Re: Weapon Idea Factory [message #55506 is a reply to message #55505] Sat, 02 January 2010 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Satoh wrote on Sat, 02 January 2010 00:23

morrowind
Ah, you're coming from Morrowind, okay. I figured you had some prior experience, which is good, but sadly Fable modding is still something of a tedious and difficult gauntlet of self-punishment.

If staff animations are on the table then I can also post some dual-saber designs(once I re-find them).
This is something I've recently been thinking about doing myself as it so happens. Unfortunately we're limited to existing animations, and the existing animations for staffs are for Maze and Whisper, and Maze doesn't move around with his staff too much and Whisper attacks like a woman, which is fine, but the Hero attacking like Whisper will appear odd. Keshire and Sean_s have each made mods that add a set of animations to the Hero that allow him to use the staff.

If there's any other weapon animations that can be used I'd like to know, as it opens up new pathways for me to create.
The animations themselves are stored in the graphics.big. You can't really do anything with them except preview them. To do this, you can open the MESH_HERO entry, then browse up towards things prefixed with ANIM, E3, CS. Those are animations, and a few things in between such labeled entries are too. You can click'n'drag an animation entry over the preview window of an open mesh entry to see the animation.

There are seven sets of weapon animations, BOW, CROSSBOW_PUMPACTION, CROSSBOW, HEAVY_WEAPON, STAFF, SWORD, and THROWING_THINGS, as listed in the CWeaponDefs. There's also the unarmed type, of course. There are various Types, Classes and Properties of weapons defined in the CWeaponDefs as well that have some effect on the animations. For example, a light axe is a type:1 and a light sword is type:0, both use the SWORD animation group, class:1 and property:0, but a type:0 can be used to stab dead bodies and a type:1 cannot. Then there's various things to take into account that have to deal with how you hold it, how you sheathe it, at what angles, etc. That's about all we've got on that.

morerunes wrote a tutorial on how to add animations to the Hero, you can find a link to it in OldBoy's sticky in the General Mod Discussion section.

I was just wondering if there were any dual wielding characters or anything else fancy like that that I've yet to see in the game.
Twinblade, Thunder (his shield counts as a weapon) and Nostro are the only ones. But you don't want to use those animations, unless you intend to turn the Hero into Twinblade or Nostro. The animations push the bones where they would be in the proper mesh, which doesn't look right on the Hero. And we can't do new anims.
Satoh wrote on Sat, 02 January 2010 01:28

Come to think of it, there are no knives or stabbing weapons in Fable are there?
Nope. What you see is what you get. We have to practice a great deal of creativity and ingenuity to work around what we have to create something that is really original in Fable.

Thinking on it... there is a knife. Mesh. Two actually, but only one of the two is good to go for use as a weapon, the other has to be reworked. But for all intents and purposes it is a sword.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Some Help Here
Next Topic: Making Towns Look Different.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 22:25:41 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05684 seconds