Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Looking around.
Re: Looking around. [message #67350 is a reply to message #67337] Thu, 27 September 2012 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
Thanks for the reply DarkONI. Smile

Having replayed the game, I see a great number of opportunities to change and improve the way things are. Sadly this community isn't as active as I had hoped, but hopefully the information I need is still here as well as a couple people to put out advice now and then.

Having taken another more thorough look at the game, it's apparent that you can't do a whole lot if it gets in the way of quests. For example, you can't merge all the maps because quests like to be started in their specific maps. You can either sandbox the game by removing all quest elements and killing gameflow or you can just work around it.

Another thing I've noticed, there are no ways of triggering cutscenes on demand, with the exception of the darkwood silver key arrow stone thingy but I don't know if that's tied into the quest or hardcoded or what. Might be dangerous to play with. But what this means is that there's no way to create new cutscenes and get them into the game.

What I haven't checked into yet is mapping. I may not be able to merge maps and keep gameflow but I hope I can at least make the existing maps better, bigger. More information on that would be most appreciated.

I'm still looking into a hundred other things, new creatures, items, trophies, weapons, potions, clothing, interactions, and I'm looking into changing the way the hero morphs based on stats as well as villages and towns and crimes and so many other things. Time, all things in time. I'll figure it all out eventually.

----
Edit:
Once I get my modeling and graphics editing tools installed and ready, I see a lot of models and textures that are compatible with each other. What I mean is that they look like they're made in a mix'n'match manner which allows for customization of buildings, characters, weapons, and a lot more. Definitely worth probing.

I'm curious, how is NPC navigating handled? That looks like a complicated subject when I browse through the binaries with FableExplorer. I was screwing around with the heightmaps in the maps and, aside from the height being about 5000 times higher than I expected, the landscape didn't go with it. So I was walking on air way high in the sky. Maps in particular appear to be extremely complicated, it seems that it would be very difficult to create my own from scratch. A lot of things I still don't understand. I am reading around the forums but it would save me so much time if someone pointed me in the right direction or just told me what I need to do.

----
Edit:
Having some trouble with my utility installs, but that gave me more time to look at the files and FableExplorer's features and took interest in animations. They don't look like any format I've ever worked with before. Is it possible to make new ones or just edit existing ones? There aren't really any tools for editing the animations, is editing them even possible?

Without animations, cutscenes, terrain mapping, quest scripting, or navigation data editing, there really isn't a whole lot I can do here. Neutral

[Updated on: Thu, 27 September 2012 22:23]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message