Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread)
Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread) [message #39941] Thu, 10 April 2008 23:38 Go to next message
Shadow_Net is currently offline  Shadow_Net
Let's face it this place is nearly dead. Nobody takes the risks that are going to push this any further. We're all here for fun so here is a thread that is here for fun. This thread is also meant to push existing knowledge further than it previously had been. There will be no questions, ramblings, or any side comments. Answer the challenge or at least come close and then post something stupid you want to accomplish. These will not be easy tasks and the end result may seem pointless. Little do you know how pointless expirements have gotten this community this far. We definetly need some headway on the STB and the EXE. All those who think we need to 'crack' the EXE need to go die. You do know that this won't be textbox editing? right? You're are going to need to get off your sorry asses and attempt something or it will go nowhere. Lastly don't expect awesome mods to come from this thread. These are stupid challenges that are more of a proof of concept than anything.

Firstly to participate if you know nothing about a hex editor you may just hit that back button now. All EXE stuff will require a dissambler (IDA Pro , Ollydbg etc..) and perhaps a basic understanding of assembly. Your exe must be non-packed (just grab the no cd version, hint: google fable the lost chapters no cd, it is unpacked already). Just for the record when I started here I knew very little and kept at it and at least learned something from this place.

Alright since I'm posing the first challenge I shall at least demonstrate something stupid to begin with. This is by no means awesome, it is in fact rather stupid. I'm going to demonstrate how to spawn something other than a beetle in the Barrels at beginning of the game 100% of the time and in mass quantities. This is a basic EXE edit so get your disassemblers and hex editors ready.

Hit spoiler tag to view it:
Toggle Spoiler

Now for the challenge(s) since this is the first (probably the only post that will come from this). I will make the challenges a little diverse (Pick one).

EXE - Modify something along the lines of the minion in the barrel example. (Don't do a different creature, don't even do the barrels) Just do something simple that modifies a segment that has not been indentified and report how you did it. I'll even give a generic example of what last I tried. I was trying to make people able to have sex outside of marriage. Meaning that you could pick up someone without marrying them and only required to have a house in that town. I made it to the go to bed question but I was never prompted like the game does. So it was very close.

STB - Modify a level. I'm more interested in if you can move a segment of land. More than likely you'll need to familiarize with the texture coordinates and how it all works. If you need something to decompress the sections PM me and perhaps I'll give you a generic utility that compresses and packs a lev file. (Only works on Creature Hub as I hardcoded unknown data).

Perhaps do something level related. Like create a new one? You could copy old data and borrow existing data to simply prove that you were able to and have the game accept it.

That is all for now.

[edit] Sticky - BlueTooth

[Updated on: Thu, 16 October 2008 22:47] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread) [message #39948 is a reply to message #39941] Fri, 11 April 2008 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evolvulate is currently offline  Evolvulate
This Function goes through all the Body Gaurd Checks when hiring.
sub_E5FD40

This bit of assembly compares your current number of henchmen to the hard coded max of 2. Change the 2 to whatever you want your max henchmen to be. That is how BlueTooth did it.
.text:00E60689 cmp eax, 2

There's quite a few variables within that particular function. And it should be very easy to test. Wink

Ok. I think the rules of the thread is that if you answer a challenge you then in return create one of your own. -S

Edit:: I've attached ppf to allow 255 bodyguards -S

[Updated on: Mon, 14 April 2008 22:55] by Moderator

Re: Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread) [message #40016 is a reply to message #39948] Sun, 13 April 2008 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver wrote on Fri, 11 April 2008 03:35

Ok. I think the rules of the thread is that if you answer a challenge you then in return create one of your own. -S

Mine was just an example, and had already been done. I'll leave the challenge for the EXE the same.

EXE - Modify something Script related.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2008 06:21]

Re: Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread) [message #40155 is a reply to message #40016] Fri, 18 April 2008 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shadow_Net is currently offline  Shadow_Net
First I'd like to thank John Doe for pointing out a few important variables in script.bin I used along with this exe modification. What I decided to do was to modify the Fisticuffs script. I changed the people and the faction they belonged to. I then changed the TNGs around that dumped the Bandits into Bowerstone and mainly right in front of the tavern area.

First in script.bin I changed the start and end time to around 8:30 am - 10:30 am. I enlarged the ring radius (not enough in the video) and increased the timeout. I then laid down the markers to get bandits around the exits and replaced Tyler with another class of bandits and had him go into the tavern and wait on you. If you fight the bandits they will go away and leave the town alone. If you watch the video you'll see that level 3 bandits raid the town and you only fight level 1 bandits. Well besides Tyler, who is a level 2. I only did this because the guards can kill a raiding level 1 to easily and level 3 are hard fighting by hand. This is of course the first fisticuffs level so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Anyhow lets go through the exe modifications.
.text:00E8491F loc_E8491F:                             ; DATA XREF: .text:off_E84968o
.text:00E8491F                 push    0FFFFFFFFh      ; jumptable 00E84918 case 1
.text:00E84921                 push    offset aCreature_bs_fi ; "CREATURE_BS_FISTICUFFS_MEMBER"
.text:00E84926                 jmp     short loc_E8494A

These are the people who will rush into town. Not the people who you'll fight against. I'm using this in place of the above creature.
.rdata:012E2BB0 aCreature_ban_7 db 'CREATURE_BANDIT_LEADER_LEVEL3',0

Then you need to replace the "Champion" aka Tyler (Fight Club reference) as referred to by Fable.
.text:00E849BF loc_E849BF:                             ; DATA XREF: .text:off_E84A08o
.text:00E849BF                 push    0FFFFFFFFh      ; jumptable 00E849B8 case 1
.text:00E849C1                 push    offset aCreature_bs_pu ; "CREATURE_BS_PUNCH_CLUB_CHAMPION_01"
.text:00E849C6                 jmp     short loc_E849EA

In place of the push "CREATURE_BS_PUNCH_CLUB_CHAMPION_01" I'm calling
.rdata:012DEEA8 aCreature_bandi db 'CREATURE_BANDIT_GRUNT_LEVEL2',0

I know a level 2 while the others are level 3. Well the guards won't attack this one because he is not an enemy. If he were you could not ask him to fight. Remember you do not fight the level 3 bandits.

This is all worthless unless you make them your enemy. So:
.text:00E83B27                 push    offset aFaction_neut_0 ; "FACTION_NEUTRAL"

I replaced neutral with:
.rdata:0125FE68 aFaction_bandit db 'FACTION_BANDITS',0  ; DATA XREF: sub_6DEEE0+252o

Now if you wanted to (I wouldn't do this as it breaks the fisticuffs stuff) you can change the Fisticuffs champion's faction.
.text:00E8372E                 push    offset aFaction_neut_0 ; "FACTION_NEUTRAL"
With the same as I did above would work.

Now you'll need to change the people who you are to fight against. locate:
.text:00E8A2BE                 push    offset aCreature_bs__6 ; "CREATURE_BS_FISTICUFFS_FIGHTER_01"
.text:00E8A2C3                 lea     ecx, [esp+0CCh+var_8C]
.text:00E8A2C7                 call    sub_99EBF0
.text:00E8A2CC                 push    0FFFFFFFFh
.text:00E8A2CE                 push    offset aCreature_bs__7 ; "CREATURE_BS_FISTICUFFS_FIGHTER_02"
.text:00E8A2D3                 lea     ecx, [esp+0CCh+var_88]
.text:00E8A2D7                 call    sub_99EBF0
.text:00E8A2DC                 push    0FFFFFFFFh
.text:00E8A2DE                 push    offset aCreature_bs__8 ; "CREATURE_BS_FISTICUFFS_FIGHTER_03"
.text:00E8A2E3                 lea     ecx, [esp+0CCh+var_84]
.text:00E8A2E7                 call    sub_99EBF0
.text:00E8A2EC                 push    0FFFFFFFFh
.text:00E8A2EE                 push    offset aCreature_bs__9 ; "CREATURE_BS_FISTICUFFS_FIGHTER_04"
.text:00E8A2F3                 lea     ecx, [esp+0CCh+var_80]
.text:00E8A2F7                 call    sub_99EBF0
.text:00E8A2FC                 push    0FFFFFFFFh
.text:00E8A2FE                 push    offset aCreature_bs_10 ; "CREATURE_BS_FISTICUFFS_FIGHTER_05"

Now for each "push offset aCreature_bs__" I'm calling a level 1 bandit as I said before.
.rdata:012E5634 aCreature_ban_8 db 'CREATURE_BANDIT_GRUNT_LEVEL1',0

That is it you did enough to have raiding bandits. I had a lot of fun with this one. So much I plan on doing the rest of the towns and maybe actually releasing something out of it. I plan on the future of changing some of the other fisticuffs stuff, like them cheering or their speech itself. I also am curious on some of the idle stuff so they don't look dumb when they aren't busy killing your town.

I've included a brief youtube video that shows what I did. You'll see that the bandits still fight each other like the fisticuffs did. I liked it that way as it kept the bandits moving through the town and gave them something to do. Very Happy

Cheers,

I'll pose the same challenges (hit the spoiler tag to see them again) as before as I am feeling a bit lazy and I don't think anyone is going to seriously participate in this.
Toggle Spoiler

Thanks for the video upload Silver,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6J4cY1htlc

[Updated on: Fri, 18 April 2008 02:03]

Re: Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread) [message #40156 is a reply to message #39941] Fri, 18 April 2008 03:00 Go to previous message
I'm curious if you could call the statue master time function, so that you could script the attack times. Though if that messes with the fisticuff script names, it may work better to look into flipping custom quest sections on and off based on the statue master then place the fisticuff stuff into that....

Guess I have something to look into now.
Previous Topic: Fable History
Next Topic: Question about Making new weapons
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:09:44 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01105 seconds