Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Fable Crash
Fable Crash [message #60412] Wed, 24 November 2010 21:34 Go to next message
Scythe of Blades is currently offline  Scythe of Blades
yes hello there all peering eyes, you see i have a problem, whenever i assign one of my custom meshes to an object in fable, and proceed to buy or retrieve said object, as soon as the preview for the weapon or clothing or whatever i put in there comes up, my fable crashes, it never fails, i have followed and studied many tutorials for hours on end and as far as i can tell im not doing anything wrong in 3ds max or fable explorer, please help me get this issue resolved so i can start releasing some of my mods. and play with them myself.

Note: my fable doesn't crash when i use a custom mesh someone else made

I envy because of the heart,
I glutton because of the heart,
I covet because of the heart,
I am prideful because of the heart,
I sloth because of the heart,
I rage because of the heart,
Because of the heart
I lust for everything about you
Re: Fable Crash [message #60416 is a reply to message #60412] Wed, 24 November 2010 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
The usual suspects.

First, if you're using new textures, make sure the alpha bit on the textures is correct. If it uses alpha, it needs to be DXT:3, otherwise it needs to be DXT:1. DXT:1 means you need Alpha:0. DXT:3 means you need Alpha:1. If you're not sure about any of this, then you probably need to open the new textures and change Alpha from 1 to 0. Apply changes and you're good to go.

Second, you may have done something stupid in the definitions of the new object. Make sure you're using the correct type of mesh in the OBJECT and CAppearanceModiferDef entries. In the OBJECT entry, the mesh needs to be a static "folded" mesh. If you don't have a custom one, just copy a mesh ID number from an existing clothing OBJECT entry. In the CAppearanceModifierDef, the mesh assigned is the animated (rigged/skinned) mesh that the Hero wears.
Re: Fable Crash [message #60418 is a reply to message #60416] Wed, 24 November 2010 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know how to use custom textures, i have a couple dds files i would like to use as textures but don't
know how to get them into FE, so thats not the problem, but the second one might explain why none of my clothes have been working in game, but this also happens with weapons i try to make as well, the place to overwrite an existing weapon mesh with a custom one is in object->graphic, is it not?

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2010 22:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Crash [message #60419 is a reply to message #60418] Wed, 24 November 2010 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Yep. And you're screwing something up.

For weapons it can be any number of things, a good examination of the mesh and more importantly the definitions will find the problem in no time at all.

For clothing, I feel it's important to mention this again. The static/folded mesh ID number goes in the OBJECT entry. The mesh you made will have its ID number go in the CAppearanceModifierDef. And like the weapons, it would help to review the definitions and the mesh.
Re: Fable Crash [message #60420 is a reply to message #60419] Wed, 24 November 2010 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, ive got the clothes thing down, one can only make the same mistake a number of times before figuring out what the problem is. i just dont get the weapons thing it looks just fine in the graphics.big but when i assign the mesh.... yeah well you know the rest, what else should i look for in the definitions of the weapon i applied my custom mesh over? if it helps im applying my custom sword mesh over OBJECT_IRON_CLEAVER_01 in the graphics section

Because of the heart
Re: Fable Crash [message #60421 is a reply to message #60420] Wed, 24 November 2010 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Scythe of Blades wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 01:11

if it helps im applying my custom sword mesh over OBJECT_IRON_CLEAVER_01 in the graphics section
So you're hijacking a mesh, you're not making a new mesh entry, new definitions, new OBJECT and all of that?

Well then it is definitely a mesh issue. Upload the mesh (DirectX file, attach it to your post, don't put it in your post, just attach it) and I'll take a look at that.

You take a look at the mesh entry in the graphics.big.
Make sure you've imported the mesh over each LOD, assigned textures to each submesh in each LOD.
Change Max Texture Layers as needed (1 for only a base map, 3 for base and bump maps, 5 for base and spec maps, 7 for all three).
If the textures have alpha, change Material Alpha Enabled to 1, if it doesn't have alpha, leave it at 0.
Leave all the unknowns and Cloth Enable at 0.
Do not edit Material ID. That's not for assigning textures.
Re: Fable Crash [message #60422 is a reply to message #60421] Wed, 24 November 2010 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this doesnt have a texture but it what im trying to work on now, no im not making new defs or a new object, i dont know how unless its the same way you make a new mesh

Edit:ok john, you forever have permission to label me as an idiot, i didnt load my mesh over all the LODs.... just the first one...
  • Attachment: soul edge.X
    (Size: 249.93KB, Downloaded 537 times)

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 00:01]

Re: Fable Crash [message #60424 is a reply to message #60422] Thu, 25 November 2010 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Scythe of Blades wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 01:38

Edit:ok john, you forever have permission to label me as an idiot, i didnt load my mesh over all the LODs.... just the first one...
That is likely not the only problem, though it is possible. If everything else is working properly, the only problem you'd see in game is that you only see the custom mesh when the camera is very close to it, and at any other time you will see the other LOD meshes. So keep looking for anything else that might be off.

As for the mesh itself, everything appears to be okay. However, I will say that sometimes Fable just won't like your mesh and will refuse to run with it, despite there being no real problem with it. I can't explain it, but it has happened to me plenty of times before. If everything else is ruled out, I would recommend breaking apart all the vertices, welding them again, then adjusting everything here and there. This will hopefully get rid of or fix whatever it is Fable doesn't like about it.
Re: Fable Crash [message #60426 is a reply to message #60424] Thu, 25 November 2010 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks john, this seems to be my luck though for some reason im gonna try and get it working a few more times, but in the mean time would you mind testing it for me to see if it works on yours, you will still need to spawn it.

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 04:30]

Re: Fable Crash [message #60427 is a reply to message #60426] Thu, 25 November 2010 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
You only packed an OBJECT entry. It doesn't have the mesh, textures, text entries, it doesn't have the CInventoryItemDef, CStockItemDef, CWeaponDef, CObjectAugmentationsDef or the CCarryableDef. But I can see that you made a new OBJECT entry, so I'll go ahead and say that your problem is a definitions problem.

From what I can see, you changed the inherited ID of several important CDefs to the ID number of your new OBJECT entry, yet you didn't attach any new CDefs. What I suggest is making new CDefs.
Re: Fable Crash [message #60428 is a reply to message #60427] Thu, 25 November 2010 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there a tutorial that will explain to me how to do that for a new weapon?

Because of the heart

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 04:30]

Re: Fable Crash [message #60429 is a reply to message #60428] Thu, 25 November 2010 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Scythe of Blades wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 12:34

is there a tutorial that will explain to me how to do that for a new weapon?

-> Open a CWhateverDef (or any entry within FE, objects, cdefs etc.)
-> Rename it
-> Click apply changes (NOT: save mods and run Fable)
-> Do this with all the CDefs you want (or any entry within FE)
-> Put them in an FMP
-> Save the FMP
-> Shut down FE
-> Start FE
-> Load your FMP
-> Now you have all your new entries.
-> Change them how you want (don't forget to apply changes each time)
-> Make sure it's all linked correct (again don't forget: apply changes)
-> Make a new FMP with all the new and changed entries
-> Save it.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 04:19]

Re: Fable Crash [message #60430 is a reply to message #60429] Thu, 25 November 2010 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a coincidence, i used the search function and found a thread about you telling someone essentialy the same thing, nonetheless i thank you but ive got one more question, to rename the cdef do i rename the definition or the symbol name?

Because of the heart
Re: Fable Crash [message #60432 is a reply to message #60430] Thu, 25 November 2010 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
You're going to have to apply some intuitive logic and some instinctive common sense because we can't spend our whole days helping you learn every little basic thing.

Edit the symbol name. The definition type is for which type of entry (OBJECT, CAppearanceModifierDef, etc.). The symbol name will be unique to the entry.
Re: Fable Crash [message #60433 is a reply to message #60432] Thu, 25 November 2010 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright i think i can do it now, thanks for the help and i promise no more wasting of your time with my problems, i'll only post from now on if i have something to contribute. good day

Because of the heart
Re: Fable Crash [message #60434 is a reply to message #60433] Thu, 25 November 2010 05:13 Go to previous message
DarkONI is currently offline  DarkONI
Visit the tutorial section to find tutorials about how to mod Fable: The Lost Chapters.
Previous Topic: Fable 2 female hero textures?
Next Topic: change the sky??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:19:08 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01196 seconds