Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Some Information about Custom Bodyguards
Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23107] Wed, 01 August 2007 19:31 Go to next message
fledermaus is currently offline  fledermaus
My first post, Hi all.

I've been working on a Whisper bodyguard. She's working and I'll try to do a kind beta release as soon as I figure out how to make an .fmp and where to put it. But I'll talk about her later in the appropriate place if anyone is interested.

This post is about something I figured out while working on her. I haven't seen this information here or on the wiki so I thought I would post it. This may have already been discussed or proven to be unreliable/dangerous, if so I apologize for wasting your time.

What I Did:

1: created a duplicate of WHISPER_ARENA or whatever.

2: spawned her with this-
ScriptName BodyGuard;
ScriptData "_Whisper"

3: created new TEXT entries in the format-
TEXT_QST_016_BODYGUARD_Whisper_HIRED

This allows her to behave like a bodyguard (teleport, fight, charge wages, and respond to other bodyguards) but use her own audible dialogue and keep her own stats.

If anyone wants more info I'll try to help but I'm pretty much a noob at this. Also if anyone knows a good reason I shouldn't be doing this, please let me know. If this is useful information I would be very pleased; I have enjoyed the creations of the hardworking folks here and would like to give something back.

P.S. I don't post much, so I'm sorry if this looks all crappy and stuff.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 August 2007 02:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23112 is a reply to message #23107] Thu, 02 August 2007 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Nice first post Cool

You could create a custom BRAIN entry for this, based on Whisper's BRAIN.

How To

->Start Fable Explorer

->Find BRAIN in the left panel and click on the [+] next to it

->Find BRAIN_WHISPER

->Export the data from BRAIN_WHISPER

->Right click on Game.bin

->Select 'create new entry'

->Symbol name: BRAIN_WHISPER_BODYGUARD
->Type: BRAIN

->Select the data file you exported from Whispers BRAIN

->Select 'Create new Entry'

->Find your new entry

->Add SG_MINION_FOLLOW_PLAYER to the list of behaviours

->Click 'Apply Changes', and 'Actions' and 'Save mods and run Fable'

Now you can use this brain as a bodyguard brain for whisper when you spawn her;

[ OverridingBrainName BRAIN_WHISPER_BODYGUARD; ]

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 August 2007 03:28]

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23113 is a reply to message #23107] Thu, 02 August 2007 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks OldBoy Smile

Actually she does use a custom Brain. I don't know why I thought she didn't, I'll edit that. But in her Brain I used SG_MINION_FOLLOW_THING. What's the difference between the two?
Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23116 is a reply to message #23113] Thu, 02 August 2007 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Don't know what the difference is.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23145 is a reply to message #23107] Thu, 02 August 2007 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe SG_FOLLOW_PLAYER makes the creature automatically follow when the player gets close enough. If I remember correctly, the player doesn't have to speak to the creature, and the creature doesn't get a following icon overhead. SG_FOLLOW_THING gives the creature the standard ability to be recruited by the Follow expression.
Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23208 is a reply to message #23107] Fri, 03 August 2007 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
I'm pretty sure FOLLOW_PLAYER was what i used for the balverine that follows me around Bowerstone. Theres no icon or anything, it's basically like a giant, vicious puppy.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 August 2007 01:39]

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23294 is a reply to message #23107] Sat, 04 August 2007 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andymac525 is currently offline  andymac525
are you using a bodyguard script? can you tell me if everything is correct in this script? thanks.

NewThing AICreature;
Player 2;
UID 18446741874686313861;
DefinitionType "CREATURE_RIVAL_HERO_WHISPER_COMPANION";
ScriptName BodyGuard;
ScriptData "_Whisper";
ThingGamePersistent TRUE;
ThingLevelPersistent TRUE;
StartCTCPhysicsNavigator;
PositionX 97.392334;
PositionY 60.368358;
PositionZ 29.5;
RHSetForwardX -0.465258;
RHSetForwardY -0.885149;
RHSetForwardZ 0.0;
RHSetUpX 0.0;
RHSetUpY 0.0;
RHSetUpZ 0.999994;
EndCTCPhysicsNavigator;
StartCTCRandomAppearanceMorph;
Seed -1334292695;
EndCTCRandomAppearanceMorph;
StartCTCTargeted;
Targetable TRUE;
EndCTCTargeted;
StartCTCTalk;
EndCTCTalk;
StartCTCEditor;
EndCTCEditor;
StartCTCVillageMember;
VillageUID 0;
EndCTCVillageMember;
StartCTCContainerRewardHero;
EndCTCContainerRewardHero;
StartCTCEnemy;
FriendsWithEverythingFlag FALSE;
EnableFollowersEnemyProxy TRUE;
FactionName "";
EndCTCEnemy;
Health 45.0;
OverridingBrainName BRAIN_BODY_GUARD;
HasInformation FALSE;
WanderWithInformation FALSE;
WaveWithInformation FALSE;
ContinueAIWithInformation FALSE;
EnableCreatureAutoPlacing FALSE;
AllowedToFollowHero FALSE;
RegionFollowingOverriddenFromScript FALSE;
RespondingToFollowAndWait TRUE;
CanBeCourted FALSE;
CanBeMarried FALSE;
InitialPosX 3281.412109;
InitialPosY 4118.064453;
InitialPosZ 24.63022;
EndThing;

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/andymac525/thGandalf.gif

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2007 18:12]

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23301 is a reply to message #23107] Sat, 04 August 2007 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, except for health, that script is the same as mine. I didn't write it though. I used the Wizard in Albion Explorer to place a Bodyguard and changed ScriptData and the over-riding Brain entry. I changed a lot of things to see if it would solve my NPC duplication issues, but I think those two are the only things I had to change to get her to work as a custom bodyguard.
Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23452 is a reply to message #23107] Tue, 07 August 2007 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that whisper_hired the only text entry you created? i see several bodyguard whisper entries and this is the first time i've looked in the text so i don't know what was there and what wasn't. thanks.

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23466 is a reply to message #23107] Tue, 07 August 2007 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made everything with BODYGUARD_Whisper in the name.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 August 2007 12:02]

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23516 is a reply to message #23107] Wed, 08 August 2007 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how did you change the voice? i know it's something to do with the text, right? also, how did you change the script data? everytime i go to scripts fe crashes. thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2007 13:05]

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23556 is a reply to message #23107] Wed, 08 August 2007 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I used Fable Explorer. The only thing you need to open script.bin for is to change the bodyguard costs and time per cost.
The dialogue for bodyguards is in text.big. To add an entry to it, right-click on the top line in the lower-left tree-view window.
All the bodyguard dialogue is in the format: TEXT_QST_016_BODYGUARD_GOOD1_INTRO. Create a new entry keeping the same format, but change the "_GOOD1" part to whatever you're going to put in the ScriptData portion of the spawn script that gets added to the .tng where you want to spawn your bodyguard.
You can use the decompiled text.big found http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=86&s tart=0&here to figure out which entries you need to duplicate. Not all the entries have to be duplicated, but your bodyguard will only say the things that you create for her. You can also use the decompiled text.big to find the dialogue lines of the character you're creating as a bodyguard.
When you open one of the dialogue entries you created for the first time, FE throws an error because the entry is empty. There are two kinds of text.big entries; check FE's wiki page to find out about those. If you export one of each type of entry, you can use them as templates. When FE throws that error I mentioned above, just import the appropriate type of entry then close and re-open your entry. It will now have the same data as the template, but it will be a unique dialogue line: changing it will not affect anything in the base game. Now change the data fields in your entry to match the data fields of the entry you wish to mimic (this info can be gotten from the actual dialogue entry in text.big(which is a real pain to find) or from decompiled text.big (which is much easier since it can be searched and the search results displayed in columns)).
I think that's enough to get you started...
If the alphabet-soup above needs clarifying or you have any other questions, go ahead and ask. I'll try to help, and if I can't maybe we can get some of the real modders in here to explain.
Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23682 is a reply to message #23107] Fri, 10 August 2007 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still can't do it. i create a new entry but there's no way to input words to say. i even tried importing some and still didn't show the words i imported. help, please?

[Updated on: Fri, 10 August 2007 09:20]

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23686 is a reply to message #23107] Fri, 10 August 2007 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, here are the steps with a little more detail...
1. Create a new Entry. It sounds like you've got this one.
2. Export an entry of the Type you want to create. This can be Type 0 or Type 1. The FE wiki page explains the differences.
3.Open the Entry you created. FE will generate an error because the entry is empty.
4.Under 'Entry Data' select 'Import'. Choose the entry you exported.
5. Click 'Apply Changes' then close and re-open the entry.
6. Change the data (for Type 0 entries it will be 'Identifier', 'Sound File', etc.) to whatever you need and click 'Apply Changes'.

That's pretty much all there is to it. If you still can't get it to work, post back. Give details; describe the steps you take and any errors FE gives. If there is an mistake in your procedure we should be able to spot it pretty easily.

P.S. You are adding entries to Text.big right?
Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23689 is a reply to message #23107] Fri, 10 August 2007 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i'm using text.big. thanks, i think i've got it now.

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23724 is a reply to message #23686] Fri, 10 August 2007 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fledermaus wrote on Fri, 10 August 2007 10:47

OK, here are the steps with a little more detail...
1. Create a new Entry. It sounds like you've got this one.
2. Export an entry of the Type you want to create. This can be Type 0 or Type 1. The FE wiki page explains the differences.
3.Open the Entry you created. FE will generate an error because the entry is empty.
4.Under 'Entry Data' select 'Import'. Choose the entry you exported.
5. Click 'Apply Changes' then close and re-open the entry.
6. Change the data (for Type 0 entries it will be 'Identifier', 'Sound File', etc.) to whatever you need and click 'Apply Changes'.

That's pretty much all there is to it. If you still can't get it to work, post back. Give
etails; describe the steps you take and any errors FE gives. If there is an mistake in your procedure we should be able to spot it pretty easily.

P.S. You are adding entries to Text.big right?

i done every step above. i changed the entry and identifier to briar. then i tried to listen to her voice with scriptdialogue and then with scriptdialogue2. there is no voice at all for the two entries i have done so far just text. any suggestions? i uploaded the two entries if you want to look at them.

Re: Some Information about Custom Bodyguards [message #23726 is a reply to message #23107] Fri, 10 August 2007 21:38 Go to previous message
Yeah, I'll check it out. I'm not sure how much time I'll get this weekend though...

EDIT: OK, in the 'Identifier' field you need to put an original game dialogue entry, like TEXT_QST_038_BRIAR_ATTACK or whatever. It's the original game entries that have the voices. In other words, all of your "masking" entries will have the data for an original entry.
That was fairly horribly explained; if you need more/better explanation, just ask.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 August 2007 21:57]

Previous Topic: Look Like A npc?
Next Topic: Halp.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:03:22 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01485 seconds