Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » The Infamous White Balverine Bug
The Infamous White Balverine Bug [message #24242] Thu, 16 August 2007 19:04 Go to next message
Daeymon is currently offline  Daeymon
Has anyone fixed or attempted to fix the White Balverine bug?

Just in case your not sure what I'm talking about, its the bug where a random Knothole Glade NPC dissappears during the White Balverine quest but isn't considered dead, because whatever property their linked to won't go up for sale, and more importantly they don't respawn.

I've seen similar discussions on here about creating respawn markers, but that was on the basis that it was always the same NPC that dissappeared.

From what I can gather its a random Knothole Glade male that dissappears. I've gone through it several times, and it's either a logger or a shop keeper who goes missing. I'm currently looking through the Knothole Glade TNG, in hopes of finding some clues.

But I'll be grateful for any useful information people can give me.
Re: The Infamous White Balverine Bug [message #24245 is a reply to message #24242] Thu, 16 August 2007 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fable freak is currently offline  Fable freak
Yeah...my knothole glade blacksmith is gone...he's not coming back either Crying or Very Sad
EDIT: I wish the balverine took a logger... Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 16 August 2007 19:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Infamous White Balverine Bug [message #24252 is a reply to message #24242] Thu, 16 August 2007 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay with a little experimenting with the a trophy, there seems to be one valid villager that you can show it to prior the cutscene where you enter Knothole. Then after that cutscene, the trophy says there is no one to show it to.

Now I know it wasn't the gate guard or the people outside banging on the door because none of them had a question mark above their heads. It wasn't the chief because he sticks around after the cutscene and is ignored by the trophy.

So we have a mystery villager present, which I reckon the cutscene removes, and as it's not a traditonal "killing", the game doesn't consider the NPC dead, therefore won't respawn and can't buy the linked property.

So now onto looking at the cutscene script.
Re: The Infamous White Balverine Bug [message #24259 is a reply to message #24252] Thu, 16 August 2007 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Daeymon wrote on Thu, 16 August 2007 22:58

Okay with a little experimenting with the a trophy, there seems to be one valid villager that you can show it to prior the cutscene where you enter Knothole. Then after that cutscene, the trophy says there is no one to show it to.

Now I know it wasn't the gate guard or the people outside banging on the door because none of them had a question mark above their heads. It wasn't the chief because he sticks around after the cutscene and is ignored by the trophy.

So we have a mystery villager present, which I reckon the cutscene removes, and as it's not a traditonal "killing", the game doesn't consider the NPC dead, therefore won't respawn and can't buy the linked property.

So now onto looking at the cutscene script.

If it's not the cutscene it's going to be the quest script itself. And then your screwed.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: The Infamous White Balverine Bug [message #24311 is a reply to message #24242] Fri, 17 August 2007 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked the TNG, nothing I could spot. Checked the cutscene script and again nothing.

But on a whim, I dunno why, I started wondering why it was only the employment property of the missing NPC that wouldn't go up for sale, why did all the houses still go up for sale.

All the KHG NPC's are assigned a house, and they all got to die for that house to go up for sale. So that got me thinking, what if they are assigned a house, and its always the same house. That Chief's Hut that always seems to have no one living in it, always open and you can sleep in the bed.

I checked it's Buyable and Villager Def's and guess what, it should be buyable and it should have one NPC assigned to it. So as an experiment I set it as Initially Buyable. That way the house would be ignored when assigning villagers a house. And low and behold, there is no longer a missing NPC. Well their might be, but when you kill everyone, everything goes up for sale. Checked several times.

Well, except the Chief's Hut which losses its For Sale status shortly after you enter the region. So I don't think the Quest is bugged, I think that house is.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 August 2007 08:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Infamous White Balverine Bug [message #28040 is a reply to message #24242] Thu, 20 September 2007 14:32 Go to previous message
saedi
i'm a complete noob here, and i hope i'm not violating.. ok. so, i have, at least for myself, found the mysterious disappearing npc. (or an incarnation of it. or maybe just a hint?) at least, i think i have.
bear with me please...

ok, during the white balverine mission, right when i entered the gates and before i confronted the white balverine for the first time, i went left and down chasing the confrontation with the wb... into that area where the workers saw and fetch wood stacks. in the corner near the balverine, there is a woman [so far, it's always been a woman with very short brown hair]. durring the battle i got her to follow me before i reached the 10 hit limit for the first time. she stuck with me through the cutscenes and battle all the way up until i received the letter and the bloodline book from the chief, at which point she disappeared before my eyes.

the next time i played through, i dragged her into the melee with all the balverines at witchwood lake. she was killed, and after i completed the mission, i emptied the town of the npc's, and everything except the chief's house was up for sale and there were no other missing npc's.
this works for me evey time. somehow, i am sure it is sometimes others that disappear rather than her, but if she dies before i finish the quest, all's well and i don't lose any other important npc's.

i apologize if this has been mentioned before. i've read through everything i've come across about this bug, but if it's been said before, i've missed it. i'm sure someone has noticed this before, but... i suppose there is no harm.
Previous Topic: shopkeeper respawn time
Next Topic: Bad Mod
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 08:48:05 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01853 seconds