Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Development » Tools » Fable Window Mode Hook
Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 06:12 Go to next message
Wiccaan is currently offline  Wiccaan

Hey all, a friend of mine has just recently got me playing Fable as something to do and hack. Been working on a tool that I have yet to be seen done surprisingly after noticing how much of an active community this game has with modding and such.

I have attempted the basics when it comes to getting the game to run in a window at first to be sure my time wouldn't be wasted working on this project Mad The basics would include:

- Hitting ALT+Enter when in game.
- Using command line arguments (-win -window -w -console -dev etc.)
- Altering configuration files.
- Altering save game files.

And so on. None of which seemed to work for this game so yea.. I created this project.

Currently this is just a work-in-progress thing to become something a little bigger if I have the time to keep putting work into it. But yea, basically all it does right now is allows you to play Fable in a window.

As of this post, I have it setup to allow you to configure:
- Window size at launch.
- Window location at launch.
- Enable or disable window border. (Better to have it on.)
- Use hardware mouse. (I suggest not using this.)

A screenshot of proof:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4706/fablexu4.th.png

I figured I'd share it here as this seems to be the most active community for Fable according to Google Smile Currently, I don't have a public release ready but should be done within the day or so. I want to make sure all the bugs are out and make sure its fully working for public release.

Known bugs / issues as of now:
- Mouse is locked to window. This is due to the fact the mouse is used in game. Removing the mouse from being hooked causes issues and the mouse does not properly align with the in-game mouse. It's better to leave this the way it is.
- The mouse is not always free'd correctly when you alt+tab away from the game. Simply clicking anywhere on the screen brings it back though.
- You cannot move the window or minimize/maximize it (easily) due to the mouse being rehooked as soon as the window regains focus. When the window has focus you also cannot grab the window and move it because it cannot leave the inner rect.

Some things to note:
- You can safely readjust your resolution while in game. It will not effect the overall window size, but instead, it will adjust the in-game GUI only to fit the current window resolution.
- The loader loads the settings.ini file when its launched, and saves it when you click Launch before launching the game. So you can easily edit the settings before running the game.

Any issues just contact me, I will check this thread every now and then. Requests are fine too, although I can't guarantee anything. (At this time, this is remaining closed source. I plan to add more to it for other things. Might release the source later on though.)

Enjoy!
- Wiccaan

edit: *Sticky* - BlueTooth
  • Attachment: FableHook.rar
    (Size: 156.93KB, Downloaded 14160 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2007 14:20] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33168 is a reply to message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Please don't be discouraged, but I think some us don't mind Alt+Tab, and the rest of us use this thing.

But if you can make one with a less confusing interface, something that anyone can easily understand, it'll be a winner. Very Happy
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33169 is a reply to message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean_s is currently offline  Sean_s
"this thing" doesn't even work for some people, me included (no one is quite sure why). I think it'll be a quite neat unity for various reasons.

New? Or looking for information? Look here before posting.
Help the community by adding this to your sig!

Assistant for Conquest
By the way, call me Searyan
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33170 is a reply to message #33168] Tue, 30 October 2007 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

JohnDoe wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 09:59

Please don't be discouraged, but I think some us don't mind Alt+Tab, and the rest of us use this thing.

But if you can make one with a less confusing interface, something that anyone can easily understand, it'll be a winner. Very Happy

3DAnylzer isn't the best method to do things as it's an emulation of something you don't have. (And their window mode hook is far from... well.. good.) I have used 3DAnalyzer on my laptop for a few games due to the crappy gfx card it has, and have used their window mode hook and can't say I'm impressed by it. Confused

This project on the other handle will eliminate the need for using 3DAnaylzer to run the game in a window Wink Alt+Tab works, it just has a bug or two that needs to be worked out.

I have a release almost ready for public testing as well Smile
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33171 is a reply to message #33170] Tue, 30 October 2007 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Very true. A good replacement will make me happy (faster TNG editing). Smile
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33172 is a reply to message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Making some progress with the bugs and such as I want to try to fix everything before releasing. (Or at least everything that I can figure out right now.)

Firstly, the major bug that I wanted to fix is fixed. The mouse is no longer 'invisible' until you click when you alt+tab out of the game. It's freed normally now and should be visible as soon as the game looses focus. (This can fail sometimes, but it's working 95% of the time.)

I removed the ability to remove the window border, it caused too many issues with some things so it was better to just remove it instead of leave it and have people complain about glitches cause of it.

I cleaned up the hook a little bit to 'optimize' some things and such to make sure it stays small, compact, and does what it should Smile Loader is working fine from what I can see as well. There was one bug with it not being able to close when you right click it and choose close from the task bar. But that is also fixed now too.

Version 1.4 is looking to be the public release version. Just testing it a little more and making sure things are a-ok Smile
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33174 is a reply to message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Updated main post with download. Theres still one major bug that I can't figure out whats causing it right now. Nothing huge though.

When you ALT+TAB out of the game. You need to make sure that you either use ALT+TAB to go back into it, or click the icon on the task bar for the window. Do not directly click the window to go back to it. It wont crash or anything, it's just the next time you ALT+TAB, you have to click to see the mouse. I can't figure out which message is causing the click to mess up the ALT+TABing.

Other then that, I think it's all good. Tested on 3 machines, all worked fine. Hope it works for you guys Smile

Enjoy!
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33176 is a reply to message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silverback is currently offline  Silverback

Cow Tipper
Nice work! Tried it out and it works great, the window bug is minor. 3dAnalyzer would do much worse Very Happy
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #33178 is a reply to message #33167] Tue, 30 October 2007 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
Nice work. It seems I'm one of the only ones to never have a problem with 3DAnalyzer.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2007 12:55]

Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #35089 is a reply to message #33178] Mon, 10 December 2007 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master_Bankai is currently offline  Master_Bankai
hrrrrrmmmm... i like this, on account of the fact that my screen is big, but i really haven't got the ram to support it(fable tlc) full screen.
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #46065 is a reply to message #33167] Sun, 05 October 2008 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sineyman is currently offline  sineyman
Nice program, also nice a Wiccan.
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #46067 is a reply to message #33167] Sun, 05 October 2008 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello all, sorry I haven't really done much more with this. I had planned on doing quiet a bit more to it but, sadly I lost interest in the game and such, just not something I was kept interested in with the story line.

I plan on releasing the source to this soon so others can update it with more features and such if wanted. So I will try to clean it up and release it soon. Smile
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #46068 is a reply to message #46067] Sun, 05 October 2008 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Cool stuff. We haven't had much of anything that looked like talent for a while, so it's sad to read that you'll be leaving before we can have a chance to make a slave out of you. Razz
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #53011 is a reply to message #33167] Thu, 23 July 2009 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charwaii is currently offline  Charwaii
Err how do you actually use it? Sorry im new to all of this.
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #53022 is a reply to message #53011] Fri, 24 July 2009 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
You open the tool, select resolution of the desired window for Fable, click launch.

Screenshot since the one in the first post has 404'd.
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #53025 is a reply to message #53022] Fri, 24 July 2009 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charwaii is currently offline  Charwaii
JohnDoe wrote on Fri, 24 July 2009 17:55

You open the tool, select resolution of the desired window for Fable, click launch.

where do you set the resolution?
can you make it a bit easier to understandd?
sorry lol

[ERROR] Failed to Launch the Process
omgomgomg??
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #55224 is a reply to message #33167] Mon, 14 December 2009 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaedee333 is currently offline  jaedee333
I can't seem to run it. When I click "Launch" it says:
[ERROR](reg): SetupPath Entry Missing!
I don't know how to fix it!
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #55226 is a reply to message #55224] Mon, 14 December 2009 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
jaedee333 wrote on Mon, 14 December 2009 15:25

[ERROR](reg): SetupPath Entry Missing!
There's a problem with the registry, namely the SetupPath entry is missing. I thought that was pretty straightforward.
To fix it is easy though, install Fable. A formal installation will write/rewrite the registry entries.
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #60060 is a reply to message #33167] Thu, 04 November 2010 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daddy7860 is currently offline  daddy7860
THIS WORKS PERFECTLY thank you!

Neelix: Try my new experimental blend of juice.
Tuvok: I would rather not.
Neelix: Ensign Golwat loved it.
Tuvok: Ensign Golwat is Bolian, her tongue protects her from even the most corrosive acid.

^Burn^

Daniel: This tastes like chicken...
Carter: So whats wrong with it?
Daniel: It's... Macaroni and Cheese...
Re: Fable Window Mode Hook [message #60262 is a reply to message #53022] Fri, 19 November 2010 09:33 Go to previous message
Kilrathi101 is currently offline  Kilrathi101
Im having this same problem as well..

[ERROR] Failed to Launch the Process

[Updated on: Fri, 19 November 2010 09:34]

Previous Topic: XBOX360 Controls! FINAL 12/16 Get it while it's hot!
Next Topic: Merging fmp's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 01:55:22 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01941 seconds