Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » VISTA USERS READ THIS  () 2 Votes
icon4.gif  VISTA USERS READ THIS [message #37802] Fri, 08 February 2008 06:39 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Vista Education From a Non-Vista User
(The problem isn't Vista, it's you.)

This guide has been rewritten, Click Here to go to the new guide.

The issue:
I've seen too many Vista users who haven't taken the time to learn about their OS blame our tools and our advice for their troubles. It never occurred to them that it's a Vista-related issue, but if they could be bothered to do some deductive reasoning: It works for people with XP, but not for the Vista user, it's not the tools/advice, it's the Vista user.

Vista is not a travesty, it's not a monster, it's just something you haven't learned how to use yet.

The rule of Vista:
Excerpt

In Vista the rules are that if you don't have explicit (by requesting) elevated permissions to write to C:\Program Files, the system lets you think you are writing there but actually redirects (virtualizes) your writes elsewhere.
What this means:
It means that you and any applications you use will need permission to write to system files, including Program Files. If you installed Fable in the default location, which is in C:\Program Files\, then you, FE, AE, FreeRoam, ChocolateBox, and every other app will need permission to write to it. They files are essentially read-only until you have permission, this means no mods will work properly until you have permission, this means get permission and stop complaining that it doesn't work, twat.

It's simple, look at the pictures, hold your mouse over them, hell, click them even.The more technically advanced of you who want more in-depth details can check this out.

How to solve this issue:
This tool will add an option in the right-click context menu to gain ownership of a file. You will find you can't do much with the contents of Program Files without ownership.
The other way to get ownership is to use this method.
Other options are running FE/AE/FreeRoam/Whatever on an administrative account, right-clicking it and running it as an administrator, setting folder permissions to allow changes, changing your account status to administrative, or installing the game outside of program files.

There, several methods. Have fun.

Other Threads of Interest
These were written by DarkenedSoul. I don't have Vista and so cannot give any more information on it, but he does have Vista and mods on Vista without a problem, he knows more about it than I do, so be so good as to read what Vista materials he's been so kind to put together:

TUTORIAL: How To Use FreeRoam On Vista!
Chest Spawning In Vista - Tutorial
[General] Modding on Vista - The Basics

If anybody else has a thread or knows of a thread that deserves a link in this sticky, let me know.

.:: Edit: Added some emphasis on key parts.
.:: Edit: Organized it a little better, added an image. Also, JohnDoe doesn't like bandwidth thieves.
.:: Edit: Plugged DarkenedSoul.
.:: Edit: Added link to rewritten guide.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2010 02:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: VISTA USERS READ THIS [message #56245 is a reply to message #37802] Mon, 22 February 2010 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

JohnDoe wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 08:39

Also, [size=1]JohnDoe doesn't like bandwidth thieves[/color].

I love it!

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: VISTA USERS READ THIS [message #56772 is a reply to message #37802] Thu, 08 April 2010 08:33 Go to previous message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

Xx Ultima xX wrote on Sun, 04 April 2010 01:55

How do you get to virtual store anyway? Ill start looking for it

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Found that in 30 seconds on Google.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Previous Topic: Fable 3 Modding
Next Topic: IRC Logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 20:21:08 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01222 seconds