Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Semi-transparency
Semi-transparency [message #45765] Wed, 24 September 2008 11:02 Go to next message
SirAvo is currently offline  SirAvo
Hello there!
Whilst I try to figure out how to import new weapons into Fable, I've decided to do some retextures.
I'm editing the Cutlass Bluetane right now, I've got an idea but I don't know how to pull it off.
I'd like the blade of the cutlass bluetane to be see through (semi-transparent).
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, because I don't have the slightest clue where to start with this kind of thing.

The textures all finished, I'd like to make the blade semi-transparent though Very Happy

Thanks!
Re: Semi-transparency [message #45767 is a reply to message #45765] Wed, 24 September 2008 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikeyscene is currently offline  mikeyscene

The only way I could think of would be to open the texture file in pshop and set the transparency level to that of your liking, however, this may just make it to where the texture is see-through and not the model, leaving you with a *insert_color* model and a transparent texture laid over on it... If that makes any sense.

http://img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/9/20/f_mikeyscenefm_6c57988.gif
Re: Semi-transparency [message #45768 is a reply to message #45767] Wed, 24 September 2008 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hm, I was thinking of doing that but I thought it'd either make a darker, desaturated colour in-game or show the no-colour model.. if it involves editing the model then I'll have to learn a lot more than I already know.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it when I can find the time.
Re: Semi-transparency [message #45770 is a reply to message #45768] Wed, 24 September 2008 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
If you have a program that can take the alpha down to 25%-75%, that would work.

Modeling note:
What I liked to do with this sort of thing is also make a clone of whatever was to be made translucent and flip the normals and give it the same texture. This way, not only can I see though the foreground but I can see a translucent background, the other side of the model, giving it depth and making it more realistic.
Re: Semi-transparency [message #45774 is a reply to message #45765] Wed, 24 September 2008 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That makes sense I guess, I'll play around with Alpha later today.

I did have that idea planned. If I was able to make the texture see through then I'd expand on that idea and make the blade translucent, as you said.
I will have a search around the forums to find out more about Alpha and if successful, find out more about the cloning and 'flipping the normals' to make it translucent - mainly because right now I need an understanding of those kinds of things before I go fiddling about with them.

I guess this is all getting a lot more technical compared to just re-colouring, ey? ;D

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2008 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Semi-transparency [message #45776 is a reply to message #45774] Wed, 24 September 2008 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
SirAvo wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 01:27

I guess this is all getting a lot more technical compared to just re-colouring, ey? ;D
The alpha/transparency/translucency can be done in most image editing programs that support alpha. The flipping of normals and such has to be done to the model itself. It's more realistic, in my opinion. Take, for example, this image:You don't just see through it, you can see inside of it as well. This provides more realism. When you check out the texture with alpha at 50% or something you'll understand what I mean.
Re: Semi-transparency [message #45777 is a reply to message #45765] Wed, 24 September 2008 23:59 Go to previous message
Ahh, I understand now.
So, do the alpha in Photoshop to make it see-through..
But I'm guessing I need a 3d Modelling program to flip the normals? Or is it possible to do that in Chocolate Box? Confused

Well, I got to go to school now, I'll check the forums after school, thank you ;D

Edit-
Right, well.. I can't find any Alpha Channel in Photoshop.. so I did what was suggested in another thread. Made sure the background was transparent, then I set the eraser tool to 40% and erased over the weapons blade which then showed the transparent background, but faintly showed the blade.
What then?
Do I save it without merging any layers or anything?
Because when I go to save it as a .png I have to save it as a copy, but even then I can't save because there's supposedly a disk error.

If I do the above, but leave the only layer as the background layer, I erase the blade but it only get's darker, is this what I'm mean't to do?

Sorry for all the questions. Again, all help will be appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2008 11:41]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: problem shortening clothes
Next Topic: Blender Weapons Tutorial [helpers]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:50:47 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01358 seconds