Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » NPC Navigation
NPC Navigation [message #49024] Sat, 07 February 2009 20:20 Go to next message
A_symmetry is currently offline  A_symmetry
I believe Keshire brushed this topic at one time somewhere. I have a question about NPC Navigation and Spawning Buildings.
When I spawn buildings my enemy NPCs walk straight through them. I was wondering how I could apply clippings to my buildings to prevent this. Would I need to modify my NPCs as well? I used chocolate box. I also already tried to make the perimeter around the buildings unwalkable with the editor tools in chocolate box. Alas it has been to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
There's one more thing. In the filler levels, how can I modify my NPCS navigation to actually walk around in the filler? Is it even possible? Can I edit this through .tng files I assume?

[Updated on: Sat, 07 February 2009 22:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NPC Navigation [message #49025 is a reply to message #49024] Sun, 08 February 2009 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
A_symmetry wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 22:20

I believe Keshire brushed this topic at one time somewhere. I have a question about NPC Navigation and Spawning Buildings.
When I spawn buildings my enemy NPCs walk straight through them. I was wondering how I could apply clippings to my buildings to prevent this. Would I need to modify my NPCs as well? I used chocolate box. I also already tried to make the perimeter around the buildings unwalkable with the editor tools in chocolate box. Alas it has been to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
The only modification of the NPCs would be the scripts of those who are going to own and live in the building. Check existing scripts to see how this works.
A_symmetry wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 22:20

There's one more thing. In the filler levels, how can I modify my NPCS navigation to actually walk around in the filler? Is it even possible? Can I edit this through .tng files I assume?
Navigation information is stored in the lev. ChocolateBox was at one time capable of editing navigation data, and I think AE either still is or was capable of doing this as well. There was a problem though, it was very buggy and limited (most likely why it was removed from CBox).

The best you're going to get until there's a tool for it is doing it yourself with a hex editor. Specifications here. Good luck.

But, I've a suggestion first. Try lowering the Z position of the building to the point that a complete circumference of it is underground. Still might not work, but is worth a try.
Re: NPC Navigation [message #49029 is a reply to message #49025] Sun, 08 February 2009 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
The navmode is still in CBox, but it's disabled because some people might mess up their lev files unintentionally. If you want to use it (at your own risk) open ChocolateBox.ini and Add NavModeOn=true to the Settings section. But the system is not as complete as the system in AE.

The problem is how the navigation data is saved. We're (or maybe just me) missing some key piece of information. From what I can gather it may be related to map size 'cause it seems to work better with square maps.

Busy!

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2009 07:39]

Re: NPC Navigation [message #49040 is a reply to message #49029] Sun, 08 February 2009 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Cool, thanks for that info. Smile
BayStone wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 09:37

The problem is how the navigation data is saved. We're (or maybe just me) missing some key piece of information. From what I can gather it may be related to map size 'cause it seems to work better with square maps.
That would explain it. I couldn't get NPCs to act right in a northern wastes filler (320x288), but I do remember doing creature hub and having it work just fine.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2009 12:33]

icon14.gif  Re: NPC Navigation [message #49066 is a reply to message #49024] Mon, 09 February 2009 12:48 Go to previous message
A_symmetry is currently offline  A_symmetry
yeah i lowered the z positioning but it didnt work.I also have been experimenting with the Cbox's navigation feature. I like Cbox a lot. It's quick and efficient. So much better than spawing things via .tng files. You're awesome Baystone.
Previous Topic: Renaming Creaturehub
Next Topic: finished mods dont seem to happen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:00:36 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01374 seconds