Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh
I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50864] Wed, 22 April 2009 19:51 Go to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

Alright, I admit that I cannot get this mesh to not crash the game. I have tried basically everything that I can think of, and nothing I do seems to fix it.

I'm trying to make a Skeleton Key that will be required to open any generic chest, but the model I'm using keeps crashing the game every time it loads, and even though I've used CBox for it, then deleted the entry and made it in FE, and then tried again with CBox, no matter what I do fixed it.

So now I'm here, asking for your help. I've attached an fmp of what I have so far. If anybody is willing to at least spawn the darn thing and tell me if it works for them, I would be more than grateful. At least that would tell me that it's just my fable setup (which I'm beginning to consider, because the last few meshes I've made have had the same effect, but work for other people)

My guess is that I'm doing something stupid wrong, and I've forgotten some basic step in the whole process in my absence.

Also, needless to say, don't steal the object or model or texture without attributing me, or I will saw your face off through your monitor.

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"

[Updated on: Wed, 22 April 2009 19:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50865 is a reply to message #50864] Wed, 22 April 2009 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reznik is currently offline  Reznik
It worked fine for me sits in my inventory and everything. Unfortunately it's probably your setup.

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50866 is a reply to message #50865] Wed, 22 April 2009 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

That's great news!

Yay! Thank you, very much. I will go back to scratching my head over why the heck it doesn't work for me.

Since you have seen it, how do you think it looks btw?

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50868 is a reply to message #50864] Wed, 22 April 2009 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks good, like a rusty old key. I assume that's what you were going for. Laughing

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50872 is a reply to message #50868] Thu, 23 April 2009 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

yay! Yeah, that's pretty much it, just wanted to make it look old.

-- edit --

AAAAAAAARRGEHEEHEHHHH!!! It still crashes my game off a new installation of fable Mad

Am I cursed or something??

What program did you use to load the mod?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 April 2009 04:56]

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50874 is a reply to message #50864] Thu, 23 April 2009 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The New Fabled Ravrn
Does that key open everything in Tam...I mean Albion Rolling Eyes ?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9329/newim.gif http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4678/rulesq.gif
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50875 is a reply to message #50874] Thu, 23 April 2009 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

No, the idea is that it's stupid that all those chests would be lying around with stuff in it, because it'd all be gone by now. So I'm making a key necessary for all of those generic chests and calling it a skeleton key.

It's a great idea, assuming I can get it to not kill my game every time it appears

[Updated on: Thu, 23 April 2009 04:58]

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50876 is a reply to message #50875] Thu, 23 April 2009 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
Try changing the texture or add/remove a few vertices.

Busy!
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50879 is a reply to message #50876] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

BayStone wrote on Thu, 23 April 2009 14:28

Try changing the texture or add/remove a few vertices.

Yeah, sounds like a possible solution.

I once had a problem with too much texture layers, but only on my current pc... No problems on my other setups, so it was specific to this graphics card.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 April 2009 08:24]

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50880 is a reply to message #50872] Thu, 23 April 2009 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes wrote on Thu, 23 April 2009 07:23

What program did you use to load the mod?

Just loaded it up with Fable Explorer and placed it in a chest using Albion Explorer. By the way having a key for those things is a pretty good idea. It's a bit strange that every chest would still have its full contents when anybody walking by can open them. Laughing

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50882 is a reply to message #50880] Thu, 23 April 2009 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

There's only one texture layers, and it seems to work for reznik, but I'll try messing with the model a bit and see if that works.

-- edit --

Nope, didn't help at all, but thanks for the ideas. I don't know what's going on, but it's really really really irritating.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 April 2009 12:52]

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50883 is a reply to message #50864] Thu, 23 April 2009 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicomon is currently offline  nicomon
Are you remembering to save it after you load it up in FE?

I divided by zero and survived.
Two of Diamonds, people. This is important.
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50886 is a reply to message #50883] Thu, 23 April 2009 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Yes, and now I've managed to get it to not crash the game, but it doesn't show anything at all now Sad

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50910 is a reply to message #50886] Fri, 24 April 2009 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
Change the mesh keep the texture and other way around.

I'm guessing this is either somehow related to either your graphics card, or the game objects themselves aka. something's causing a conflict.

Also, how are you spawning the object? Try changing the UID.

Busy!
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50911 is a reply to message #50910] Fri, 24 April 2009 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Yea, there have been isolated incidents of very strange problems related to the models, though it'd be strange for it to crash the game for one and not others.

I would suggest a few things, but they are more trivial than anything else, but then again they sometimes work too, so...

You could try exporting the model using FE/CBox, importing it into 3DS/Blender, exporting it from 3DS/Blender again as DirectX, importing back into graphics.big with FE/CBox. Because this is like "re-encoding" the model, it might work out a mysterious bug with the model. Note that you can lose quality of the mesh doing this (hard to notice unless you're looking for it). Alternatively you can just remake the model.

If that doesn't work, it could be a texture-related problem. You could export the texture as bitmap, save as non-transparent png, reimport into textures.big. I don't actually expect this one to do anything, but I've instructed people to do it before with a laundry list of other trivial things to do and they sometimes come back with positive replies. Perhaps worth a shot.

If that doesn't work either, it might not be related to the content (model/texture) but instead have to do with the definitions. Try remaking the entries. This makes less sense than the last two weird things to try, especially given that the mod as is worked for someone else.

If all else fails, change out the apps you're working with. 3DS <-> Blender; Photoshop <-> Gimp <-> Paintshop Pro <-> Whatever; FableExplorer <-> ChocolateBox.

If you can pinpoint the cause of the problem, and whether it is specific to a tool or a graphics card or anything like that, be sure to let us know. If a workaround can be made, it'd be good info to have so that people can avoid making a mod work for some and not others (the potential leading cause in SeeminglyNoobitus).
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50919 is a reply to message #50911] Fri, 24 April 2009 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Alright, well, none of those worked, except I loaded the original on a new install of fable (for the third or fourth time) and this time I didn't install all my WIP files for TNW, and it worked, so now I just to figure out why the heck it did that.

-- Edit --

Well, it's all working now, and I still have no idea why the heck it did that. Guess it's just one of those mysteries.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 April 2009 21:01]

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50921 is a reply to message #50919] Fri, 24 April 2009 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
morerunes wrote on Fri, 24 April 2009 22:47

Well, it's all working now, and I still have no idea why the heck it did that. Guess it's just one of those mysteries.
I'm very glad you've got it working.

On another note, I like the idea of it too. Stupid chests laying around unlocked and such.
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50933 is a reply to message #50864] Sat, 25 April 2009 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

I like this. It's been done in Item Pack too.

Maybe you can make certain types of chests needing certain types of keys.

Me being uncreative, maybe a bronze chest and a gold chest? Wink

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50938 is a reply to message #50933] Sat, 25 April 2009 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Well, the idea here is that there should be three kinds of chests: regular chests, silver key chests, and Craft Chests, each needing their own key.

Re: I'm out of ideas, a broken mesh [message #50940 is a reply to message #50938] Sat, 25 April 2009 20:13 Go to previous message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

morerunes wrote on Sat, 25 April 2009 19:53

Well, the idea here is that there should be three kinds of chests: regular chests, silver key chests, and Craft Chests, each needing their own key.

I see. I like it.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Previous Topic: I was thinking...
Next Topic: Successfully Packaging a Fable Mod
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:33:36 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01744 seconds