Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works.
Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56367] Tue, 09 March 2010 04:17 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
http://i.imgur.com/ud5oJ.jpg

I think I'll call it the Boomsday. That little red thing underneath will be the pump part. It will (hopefully) fire a shot similar to the Doomsday shot (prior mod) with the effects of the hobbe ranged staff, only smaller, faster, and straight as an arrow as opposed to arcing over the target. I haven't thought of what I'll do for explosions yet. And one of the things I've been thinking about is how to fix the multiarrow bit, it's broken on the Doomsday, prompting a crash. I could fix it up like standard crossbows, but that would be boring. I want this to be special. And something else I want to do is edit the effect (zombie death effect when you kill undead creatures) so that it doesn't make that haunted yelling sound, it gets annoying after a while.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2010 04:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56368 is a reply to message #56367] Tue, 09 March 2010 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hade1 is currently offline  hade1
Like the look for the most part, just don't think the colors for the pump part and the handle go well with the gun. Think a wood like texture for those 2 parts might be nice. Would be great to have a gun like that for a ranged weapon though.

Also, removing the undead yelling sound would be greatly appreciated, atleast by me Smile
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56369 is a reply to message #56368] Tue, 09 March 2010 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
hade1 wrote on Tue, 09 March 2010 08:20

Like the look for the most part, just don't think the colors for the pump part and the handle go well with the gun. Think a wood like texture for those 2 parts might be nice. Would be great to have a gun like that for a ranged weapon though.
I don't have much to work with. I'm using the original texture for the legendary pump action crossbow so that reskins can be used without making it look really weird. Well, it probably will still look weird, but it will be less weird if it's using only one reskin of the same texture and not two reskins of different textures.

I also tossed the sights because they bug me.
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56370 is a reply to message #56369] Tue, 09 March 2010 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

Extraordinary! I love the look, the weirder the better, as many guns of the past were ornate and had wild colors and markings. This makes it fit Fable perfectly in my opinion.

Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56371 is a reply to message #56370] Tue, 09 March 2010 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Butts is currently offline  James Butts
Does fe or any app open that effect, if so, I would think the sound file was in there somewhere and you could delete all references to it. other than that, I love this gun, is it going to be pistol or shotgun size?

Dammit
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56373 is a reply to message #56370] Tue, 09 March 2010 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
jwc2200 wrote on Tue, 09 March 2010 09:04

Extraordinary! I love the look, the weirder the better, as many guns of the past were ornate and had wild colors and markings. This makes it fit Fable perfectly in my opinion.
I'm glad you like it. And you make a good point, several historical guns looked just crazy. I didn't think of that, but it's a good excuse for why I did the handle that way (a man can only do his best).
James Butts wrote on Tue, 09 March 2010 09:41

Does fe or any app open that effect, if so, I would think the sound file was in there somewhere and you could delete all references to it. other than that, I love this gun, is it going to be pistol or shotgun size?
Hex editors can open the effect files. Razz
I'm going for a shotgun size, slightly smaller than the Doomsday, but without all the other stuff that the Bluetooth Arquebus, JohnDoe Doomsday and the original Harvester have. The result is the simplified design shown in the image. I've tried it out in-game, looks good, fires good, still deciding on a few things and trying to figure out a couple others.

I'd like to make this an old-style steam punk shotgun, but I can't figure out how I can make it fire more than one shot at a time except to allow it to fire continuously without reloading. One thing I could try is to have more helpers in the model, specifically duplicates of the helper that tell Fable where to spawn the ammo. So if there are five of those helpers, the theory is that it will fire five shots at a time. Still need to test that though. And I can only imagine how this will affect the multiarrow spell (which currently works, yay!).

Going back to the effects, I can't just get rid of the zombie sound. At least I don't think I can. If I can, that would be pretty cool, but otherwise I'd have to replace it with a different sound. It's already going to make an explosion sound, so I think I'll just throw in another explosion, won't be noticeable at all. Or I might just not use the zombie effect, I definitely won't if I figure out the shotgun thing, I don't want to see a few hundred zombie effects every time I wipe out a city.

And I would do a pistol if I could get the Hero to shoot it with just one hand. With any crossbow or pump action crossbow, the Hero's always got both hands on it. The hobbes have those ranged staffs that they shoot with one hand, but that's because that's how their animations are set up. That can't be done so easily with the Hero. I could just change the animations such that the Hero doesn't use his left arm, but that would affect the animations for every pump action crossbow, maybe even all crossbows, and it might not look so pleasant.

Might be better to just leave it at one shot at a time as I don't want to make anymore godly weapons. If you were kind enough to read all of that, I commend you and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edit: In-game screenshot. Please ignore that a retextured Jack with no eyes is holding it, that's something else for later. Notice that I added a flaming barrel, I'm thinking about removing it though. Comment on this if you will.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2010 09:17]

Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56375 is a reply to message #56373] Tue, 09 March 2010 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would think that you should remove the zombie effect, and the explosions, and just make it fire glowing bullets or something like that.

Dammit
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56388 is a reply to message #56375] Wed, 10 March 2010 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Okay, I've gotten rid of the explosion effects, but the explosion is still there as that's how the weapon will deal damage (that way the Hero doesn't gain experience for using it). As with the JohnDoe Cannon, the explosion is small enough that it will only work on one creature at a time, two at the most. No more godly weapons.

I'm using almost the exact same shot as the JohnDoomsday, it's changed up a bit so that the arrow trails actually come out the right direction (it came out the side before). Oh yea, and the shot is flaming. I had to use an augment to get custom effects on it, so it has one augment slot that's already filled with a fire augment.

The multiarrow part is finished, it isn't changed much from the original as I couldn't figure out any cool configuration for it, so mostly it just gets rid of the standard effects that it slaps on the extra arrows, I figured it was too much in addition to the fire.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out the right amount of damage and a good name and description for it. Then I'll release an FMP for testing and at that point I'll make some revisions if any are needed.

Really liked the zombie effect though, I tried it both with and without that effect and I admit it's better without, it just doesn't seem complete without something cool like that in there.

Edit - Here's the shot:
http://i.imgur.com/I61pg.png

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2010 00:23]

Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56390 is a reply to message #56388] Wed, 10 March 2010 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you make the tip of the shot green and gold to match the weapon rather than pink and black?

Dammit

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2010 07:37]

Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56391 is a reply to message #56390] Wed, 10 March 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Well, not green and gold, because the green goes with the handle.

I made it more bullet-shaped. Nevermind the ones without effects, there were just too many at once to process. In actual gameplay, there shouldn't be more than one of those in play at a time, or only a few more if using the multi-arrow spell, which the game will be able to handle.

I don't think I can be made to modernize it much more than that, else I'll scrap this and just make a nuclear bomb and drop it on Bowerstone. After making the children mortal, of course.
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #56393 is a reply to message #56367] Wed, 10 March 2010 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noctus is currently offline  Noctus

Administrator

Bloody brilliant.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9540/helpmeaaa.jpg
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #57203 is a reply to message #56367] Wed, 12 May 2010 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkboy1234 is currently offline  darkboy1234

Really nice!

JoBin
Re: Another JD Ranged Weapon in the works. [message #57204 is a reply to message #57203] Wed, 12 May 2010 19:14 Go to previous message

Retired
Production on this has since been halted and the files for it have been deleted. I'll pick this up again some other time, just not right now. In the future, I will try harder not to post on something that isn't even close to completion.
Previous Topic: Setting mnigame max bets?
Next Topic: Fable/Albion Explorer messes with my game's color?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 22:21:39 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01110 seconds