Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Mounts.
Mounts. [message #57380] Fri, 28 May 2010 14:33 Go to next message
nicomon is currently offline  nicomon
JohnDoe wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 02:14

Mounts, oh good god yes, I want to ride my horse into combat.

Wouldn't you be able to do something similar by editing the balverine transformation mod so that it changes you to a creature who's model is [INSERT MOUNT HERE] with the hero attached to the top? the only problem would be getting armour to show up correctly, and finding the right animations to use with the mount.(through the CAppearenceDef Sucks app)

I divided by zero and survived.
Two of Diamonds, people. This is important.
Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57388 is a reply to message #57380] Fri, 28 May 2010 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
nicomon wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 16:33

Wouldn't you be able to do something similar by editing the balverine transformation mod so that it changes you to a creature who's model is [INSERT MOUNT HERE] with the hero attached to the top? the only problem would be getting armour to show up correctly, and finding the right animations to use with the mount.(through the CAppearenceDef Sucks app)
No animations for that exist.
Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57389 is a reply to message #57388] Sat, 29 May 2010 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 20:24

nicomon wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 16:33

No animations for that exist.

Not even if we used Arachanox as the mount? Riding around on a big scorpion would be kinda fun. Not much room to attack with a weapon, but you could always make it so that you attack with the claws.(I think you could, anyways.)

Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57390 is a reply to message #57389] Sat, 29 May 2010 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
nicomon wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 02:07

Not even if we used Arachanox as the mount? Riding around on a big scorpion would be kinda fun. Not much room to attack with a weapon, but you could always make it so that you attack with the claws.(I think you could, anyways.)
And what animations would the riding Hero be using? This is the problem. Wink
Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57391 is a reply to message #57390] Sat, 29 May 2010 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure how that's a problem, as you wouldn't really need animations for the hero's legs, because he's using them to stay on the mount, while you could just the normal animations for his torso, or not at all like his legs if the mount is big enough for the weapon to not reach/look strange when used. the only problem I can see with it is the animations for the hero actually getting on the mount, which can be masked by using the "jump" animation (I remember seeing an expression someone made a long time ago that made the character appear to be jumping), and some effects.

Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57392 is a reply to message #57391] Sat, 29 May 2010 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
What would happen is, assuming we could somehow get the Hero model onto a mount, the Hero model would be dragged along motionless relative to the mount. If you've ever done simple mesh swaps with certain non-human meshes, you'll remember either not being able to move or being able to move but not really using your legs to move.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2010 00:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57407 is a reply to message #57392] Sat, 29 May 2010 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 00:49

What would happen is, assuming we could somehow get the Hero model onto a mount, the Hero model would be dragged along motionless relative to the mount. If you've ever done simple mesh swaps with certain non-human meshes, you'll remember either not being able to move or being able to move but not really using your legs to move.

Personally, I wouldn't whether or not the hero moved, so long as he was positioned correctly. As for getting the hero on the mount, would it not be possible to just make a new mesh of the mount and the hero attached together that just looks like the hero is on it. Also, the hero's mesh not responding to the animations is a good thing, because it means we can leave the hero's bones in the mesh so that the armor still has proper weighting.

Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57409 is a reply to message #57407] Sat, 29 May 2010 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
nicomon wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 20:29

so long as he was positioned correctly.
Again, this is the problem. He would be dragged across the floor, standing on his feet, just gliding across the map.

would it not be possible to just make a new mesh of the mount and the hero attached together that just looks like the hero is on it.
Okay, but then you have the problem of assigning clothes and hair and horns to go onto the dummy Hero. GLWT.

Also, the hero's mesh not responding to the animations is a good thing, because it means we can leave the hero's bones in the mesh so that the armor still has proper weighting.
I think you don't know what you're talking about.

If this continues, I'll be splitting these posts to another thread.
Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57411 is a reply to message #57409] Sat, 29 May 2010 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 19:24

Also, the hero's mesh not responding to the animations is a good thing, because it means we can leave the hero's bones in the mesh so that the armor still has proper weighting.
I think you don't know what you're talking about.

I meant to say assigning(or whatever the term is for the armor,etc. to go on the hero's mesh correctly), not weighting, sorry.(Your reply to the second quote made me realize that)
The third quote answers your reply to the second, unless all the creatures that it wouldn't be nonsensical either have at least one bone in their mesh that has the same name as one the hero's, or have animations that would be used that the hero's mesh responds to.

If it still seems like I don't no what I'm talking about, or it seems like there are still major problems with it, then please explain the errors in my thinking.
Sorry for the trouble, by the way. You can just delete these posts if you to if it's easier than splitting them(I don't know it is or not) Also, even if you do delete the posts, I would still like to know what the error in my thinking is.

Re: Impossible Ideas Thread [message #57415 is a reply to message #57411] Sat, 29 May 2010 21:17 Go to previous message

Retired
Alright, first you'd need a way to mount something. Use a cutscene to transform into a quadruped. The only quadruped I know of is the balverine, and even then it only has really, really fast quadruped animations, it walks around with biped animations though.

Then, you need a way to put the Hero on it. This is the first big problem. How do you get the Hero on it? The only way I can think of is to have the Hero set as a clothing item, but it would have to be a different model because it would need different bones, this means you'd have to do rigging which is difficult, especially for the Hero. But nevermind that, and let's say that somehow we were able to assign the Hero model to the horns (clothing item that's always worn by the Hero), have the transformed creature use the horns (I've not discovered how to do this yet) and have the horns only use the Hero mesh when the transformation is active (another thing that I don't think is possible). And let's say we can manage all that. We still have two other major problems.

How would you go about assigning clothes to the Hero and not the mounted creature? The mounted creature would have to have a different set of bones (at least named differently) and the animations would have to be edited to correspond with these new bones (this is actually possible). This would also be needed to keep the Hero from assuming the animations of whatever creature was being used, a problem that anyone who has ever done a mesh swap is familiar with. The Hero would have to have the same bones (at least, named the same) for the clothes to snap onto that, and there lies another problem - the Hero is a clothing item. Can clothes wear clothes? Will the clothes snap onto the bones of a clothing item? But forget all that, let's say we can pull all of that off.

The last big, major problem that would definitely prohibit mounts in this manner is this: managing to get the Hero to ride the mounted creature. Again, anyone with experience in mesh swaps would know, you swap the model and all you have is a creature model with facial hair and Hero clothes inside or around it. Depending on what mesh was swapped for the Hero's, the Hero clothes meshes will move but the swapped mesh won't (animations don't match bone names). This is related to the problem here, you would need animations that would hoist the Hero mesh up on the back of the mounted creature, and even if it's a singular pose, all it has to do is stay relative to a single point on the mounted creature's back, and there is nothing that can do that. What would happen is you'd have a Hero mesh sliding across the ground at the Scene-Root point of the balverine as it mad-dashes across the map on all fours.
Previous Topic: Two Fables, one PC
Next Topic: Question about the STB.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:21:45 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01209 seconds