Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Effects and graphics discussions. (Split)
Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60362] Mon, 22 November 2010 21:59 Go to next message
KeithShap is currently offline  KeithShap
I've been searching, but I was wondering if there was a way to change the color of an augmentation? Working on an already awesome Frostmourne.

In the face of insurmountable odds, there is only one thing you can do.
Re: physical shield [message #60364 is a reply to message #60362] Mon, 22 November 2010 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
KeithShap wrote on Mon, 22 November 2010 23:59

I've been searching, but I was wondering if there was a way to change the color of an augmentation? Working on an already awesome Frostmourne.
Depends on what you mean.
If you mean changing the augment item itself, yea, retexture. Or if you want to be badass, build a new model for a new augmentation item.

If you mean the augment effect, well that gets a little more complicated. You have to edit the effects and of all the people who still frequent the forum and mod Fable, I'm the only one who can do that. And it's not something that can casually be taught. I can't give you a step-for-step guide on it.

Unless of course you simply mean using a different effect, in which case that's easy to change out. Just browse the weapon's CDefs, find one that says something about augments and open it, then change out effect IDs. Many effects will just crash though, so be careful. Some effects don't die off, and stack on top of each other which eventually leads to lag, so that's another concern.
Re: physical shield [message #60365 is a reply to message #60362] Mon, 22 November 2010 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking to change the color of the fire augment. You see, I've started working more and more with the frostmourne, and the only augment that encases just the blade is the fire aug. Ergo, the one I want to look icy. Which it would look alright IMO. Plus it would be something I would love to learn. Thanks in advance. OH, and also wondering if you could turn the "pulsing" of the fire aug off, or is it a constant?

Edit: Well, any help on changing the colors would be awesome. Even if you can just get me to the basic area, I might be able to figure it out by myself.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 22:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: physical shield [message #60366 is a reply to message #60365] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
KeithShap wrote on Tue, 23 November 2010 00:43

I'm looking to change the color of the fire augment. You see, I've started working more and more with the frostmourne, and the only augment that encases just the blade is the fire aug. Ergo, the one I want to look icy. Which it would look alright IMO.
Any of the effects can be edited to change their size. If you want a fiery icy thing going on, I suppose I could do that.

Plus it would be something I would love to learn. Thanks in advance.
No thanks needed, because I'm not going to teach you. As I said, I can't give you a step-for-step guide on it. I had to teach myself, and seeing it for myself, I understand why no one taught me. It's a mostly unknown art, no, not an art. It's more like experimenting with alchemy, you do some stuff and something happens. If it's cool, you keep it. If it's crap, you throw it away and try again.

OH, and also wondering if you could turn the "pulsing" of the fire aug off, or is it a constant?
I know what you're talking about and yes, it is possible to do away with it.

Edit: Well, any help on changing the colors would be awesome. Even if you can just get me to the basic area, I might be able to figure it out by myself.
I wouldn't mind doing it for you, it's been a while since I edited the effects and I need the practice.

But if you want to do it yourself, here's what you do. Open the OBJECT root entry. Browse the CDefs, find the one that says something about augments. It will have a list of effects used for each augment. Find the ones for fire and open those. Export the entry data. Open the exported entry data with a hex editor. Make your edits, import them back into the same entries (or make new entries, recommended) and you're good to go.
Re: physical shield [message #60367 is a reply to message #60366] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would be a life saver if you did it for me, and I'll also look into modding some for myself. All I wish to do is change the color to a light light blue.

Red: 199
Blue: 255
Green: 255

Edit: Maybe even lighter, but at the moment I believe this will def. do.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 23:08]

Re: physical shield [message #60368 is a reply to message #60367] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
razziel765 is currently offline  razziel765
actualy that brings up an awsome idea...

infact is there a way to make it so it literaly looks like the blade is giving off ice fog? like an ice cube pulled from the freezer on a hot day and it just seeps to the ground

not all the way of course

and give it a blue fire augment base

aswell as make the augment effect solid, and make if the majority augment so anything else wouldnt show, just the frost one

as in put health and mana on it but the flame one is the only one showing

this is quite a badass idea and im going to take a look into it, i honestly want to give this a big go Very Happy

Death and Decay...
is the only way...

http://ahrimanes.mgbr.net/cutenews/data/upimages/standing.gi f  http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs10/f/2006/085/b/8/RazielSNK.gif http://www.stephenpauladams.com/images/icon_busyGir.gif
Re: physical shield [message #60369 is a reply to message #60368] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
razziel765 wrote on Tue, 23 November 2010 01:21

infact is there a way to make it so it literaly looks like the blade is giving off ice fog? like an ice cube pulled from the freezer on a hot day and it just seeps to the ground
Yes. That's an effect edit. The framework for it can be copied from the flaming sword effect, as it gives off smoke. Then all that's required is changing the smoke into fog, basically making it use a different texture, color, and a little refining here and there.

not all the way of course
What does that mean?

and give it a blue fire augment base
And what does that mean? I think you mean the effect, which would obviously be an effect edit. Just as above, copy the framework for the fire augment, change out which texture is used, change the coloring, and a little refinement, and you're set.

aswell as make the augment effect solid, and make if the majority augment so anything else wouldnt show, just the frost one

as in put health and mana on it but the flame one is the only one showing
This can't be done in the effects. And in fact I think I know what KeithShap is talking about now by "pulsing", I'll go over that again. But anyway, the only way to make only one augment effect appear is to null out the other effects used for augments on that weapon. Which is easy enough, just edit the values for effect IDs to 0 for all but the desired augment effect. So if a person uses X augment, it won't show up, but if someone uses the Y augment, the effect appears. Though, it might still rotate between the effects and just have no effects for when it's doing the other augments... stuff to watch out for.

OH, and also wondering if you could turn the "pulsing" of the fire aug off, or is it a constant?
Revisiting this because I misunderstood last time. You mean the fade in/fade out, yes? If so, yea, that can be taken care of quite easily. It's a change in color codes. It's usually three phase, one for start color, another for peak color (when it's brightest), and a third for fade out color. The big factor in this is the alpha value, and on that...

KeithShap wrote on Tue, 23 November 2010 01:07

You would be a life saver if you did it for me, and I'll also look into modding some for myself. All I wish to do is change the color to a light light blue.

Red: 199
Blue: 255
Green: 255

Edit: Maybe even lighter, but at the moment I believe this will def. do.
Do you have a preferred alpha value? Works the same as the other color values, but determines transparency. For instance, an alpha value of 128 will make the color 50% transparent.
Re: physical shield [message #60370 is a reply to message #60362] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds pretty cool to me. Smile but I doubt you can have two effects going on a sword at a time, I.E. fog + fire effect. I could transfer smoke animation, and add it to my sword via augment, but again, I don't know how to change the color of it. Plus, if i changed the color of the smoke then all smoke would be effected. i would have to change the fire aug color only because it would be the only one that I would use for it. However, I am wondering if there is a way to get certain parts of a sword to glow. Again, something I've looked for, but can't find. I'd get the blue tinted letters to glow so it would look more.. true to it's original. But thats about it.

Re: physical shield [message #60371 is a reply to message #60369] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 75 to 68 percent transparency would do just fine. So, like 165 to 180. Depending on which one you think looks best.

Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60375 is a reply to message #60370] Tue, 23 November 2010 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
KeithShap wrote on Tue, 23 November 2010 01:43

That sounds pretty cool to me. Smile but I doubt you can have two effects going on a sword at a time, I.E. fog + fire effect.
Sure you can. Using the example I used before, the flaming sword effect entry has several effects going, some for fire, some for smoke. It all happens simultaneously. The only downside is that stacking up a lot of effects will cause lag. Two effects is alright though, if done right. And the rest of the issues you mentioned can be fixed by creating new effect entries. If nothing else uses it, nothing else will be affected. Wink

KeithShap wrote on Tue, 23 November 2010 01:43

However, I am wondering if there is a way to get certain parts of a sword to glow. Again, something I've looked for, but can't find. I'd get the blue tinted letters to glow so it would look more.. true to it's original. But thats about it.
That's a mesh and texture thing. You might want to check out a few existing meshes that use glowing. A good start would be MESH_FOCAL_SITE_ACTIVE_01 (4007). Basically, the stuff you want to glow is a separate submesh. Jack up the glow variable to a high number (I think it's 0-255, not sure on that though, might be 0-100) and you're good to go.

Edit: Split the thread and locked the other one because this is off topic and the original question was answered.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2010 00:35]

Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60413 is a reply to message #60362] Wed, 24 November 2010 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Keith, you may want to consider different color codes, because this is very bright.
Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60431 is a reply to message #60362] Thu, 25 November 2010 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Update on the effect. It looks good... aside from the color as I imagine you had something else in mind. The color and textures used are no problem and can be fixed in no time.

The only real problem right now is that I have to isolate a variable. There is one boolean that dictates whether or not the effect kills itself when being swung. I don't know which one it is, and there are 62 of them to test. That will take me a while.
Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60443 is a reply to message #60362] Thu, 25 November 2010 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
If you want to go with ice fog like effect I'd ditch that overt looking one your using as a base. Grab a smoke effect and try to fit it to the sword's size.

For another effect
It'd also be cool to see an epic mickey style effect where drops of whatever leave the weapon and float upward.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60444 is a reply to message #60443] Thu, 25 November 2010 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Haven't even started on fog yet. Wasn't considering doing it to be honest, it was more an exercise of thought on how to. The effect in the screenshots is a mostly unedited fire augment wisp effect with a different texture for the flamelick. I want to work out the booleans before adjusting it further, as its current state allows me to quickly see whether or not a desired effect is taking place. Then color codes and everything else.

But for fog, there's already a good foundation for a fog piece on the unused flaming sword effects that everyone used to like so much, that could easily be modified a bit and put into place.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 23:39]

Re: physical shield [message #60446 is a reply to message #60364] Fri, 26 November 2010 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arenar is currently offline  Arenar
(

That's ...... AWESOME!

[Updated on: Sun, 28 November 2010 01:35]

Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60467 is a reply to message #60413] Fri, 26 November 2010 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 21:41

Keith, you may want to consider different color codes, because this is very bright.

Basically just looking for an icy blue effect. So, as I mentioned before, whatever the settings you wish to use. I very much appreciate this by the way. I'm working on getting the symbols on the blade to glow, coming along, but still a ways. Very Happy Thanks again.

Re: Effects and graphics discussions. (Split) [message #60477 is a reply to message #60467] Sat, 27 November 2010 12:10 Go to previous message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

If you want the symbols to glow, make the symbols a submesh, and in FE go into the submesh through the mesh's material entries, enable alpha, and set a glow strength from 1-100.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Previous Topic: Blender mesh broken
Next Topic: MAELSTROM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 21:43:40 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02129 seconds