Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Blender problems
Blender problems [message #60795] Sat, 18 December 2010 23:48 Go to next message
Bloody Nose is currently offline  Bloody Nose
I'm having trouble with loading and saving .x files with blender. I get an unrecognised vertex error message when I load a file saved with blender. What settings do I need to use to import and export properly?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2010 00:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Blender problems [message #60796 is a reply to message #60795] Sun, 19 December 2010 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're importing the longsword model, yes? If so, the problem is not Blender, but the DirectX file. Open it in notepad, find the subframe labeled "sword" and change it to "hilt" or something, anything. Save, then import to Blender. Read this.
Re: Blender problems [message #60801 is a reply to message #60796] Sun, 19 December 2010 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, its the bordello dominatrix, I somehow messed the mesh up just by importing and exporting it. I've never used blender before so I could use an intro on the function of the buttons. Rolling Eyes

Also the settings I should use to import/export, I played around with those a while but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Re: Blender problems [message #60805 is a reply to message #60796] Sun, 19 December 2010 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I guess thats alot to ask for... Embarassed
It had the same problem with thunder's shield and I didn't even open it with a graphics program...

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2010 17:41]

Re: Blender problems [message #60806 is a reply to message #60801] Sun, 19 December 2010 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Oh, well... I'll be honest with you, I don't know too much about Blender as I pretty much stick with 3DS. If you can tell me what you were doing with Thunder's shield, that might give me a clue. You say it wasn't in a graphics program, I can't imagine what else you'd do with it. But the problem with Blender sounds like an import problem, sadly I just don't know enough to help you with that.
Re: Blender problems [message #60807 is a reply to message #60806] Sun, 19 December 2010 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it might have been the sword issue kind of thing you were talking about earlier. I was exporting it so I could make a new mesh entry in FableExplorer with a different texture. By the way, what would I have to rename the demonic helm(the object is cube in blender). Would helm work and would the say the cuiass be shirt?
Re: Blender problems [message #60808 is a reply to message #60807] Sun, 19 December 2010 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
The helmet should offer no problem. To make a new graphics entry is pretty easy and your problem with Blender shouldn't get in the way here. Take the mesh entry, rename it, change the texture for each LOD, click apply changes, pack the entry in an FMP. Close FE without saving. Open FE again, load the FMP, and you have a brand new mesh entry with a different texture.

About assigning textures, this is important. You change the texture, click the bottom Apply Changes button, change to the next LOD, repeat until you get to the last LOD which should be blank. Only after you're done with each LOD do you click the top Apply Changes button. If you do this wrong your changes won't be applied.
Re: Blender problems [message #60809 is a reply to message #60808] Sun, 19 December 2010 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what LOD's do..I assumed they involved bones since they seem to twist the model when I switch between them. Thanks, also is there anyway I could create a model by combining two models in blender? Shocked That was also causing an error message.
Re: Blender problems [message #60810 is a reply to message #60809] Sun, 19 December 2010 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Bloody Nose wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 23:40

Thats what LOD's do..
Level of detail. Basically, the mesh gets less and less detailed the farther away the Hero is from it to save GPU power to keep the game running smoother.
Bloody Nose wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 23:40

is there anyway I could create a model by combining two models in blender? Shocked That was also causing an error message.
Mmm, no. Well, yes and no. For Hero clothing for use by the Hero specifically, you could do it within FE by editing the clothing's CAppearanceModifierDef. It is what determines which meshes are added to and removed from the Hero when he wears a particular clothing item.

For creatures and NPCs, it's better to mix and match as best you can in the CCreatureDef, because when the mesh is exported, it is converted to DirectX and loses a lot of its data, including dynamic cloth which is really what makes the mesh look good, not to mention skinweights which I assume has something to do with the conversions from Lionhead's custom floats that they used because they suck at everything.

For weapons, yea, you'd have to do that in a 3D modeling package like Blender.
Re: Blender problems [message #60880 is a reply to message #60810] Tue, 21 December 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, now I remember Morrowind had LOD for land and Oblivion does too I think.

You mean the EE6CAB01-Unknown entry right? I changed the mesh list from bodyguard mesh to dominatrix and added the helmet mesh with the same entries as the merc head.
Nothing seems to happen. Sad
I also added the actual object into her inventory, but still nothing...no surprise there really though. Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2010 13:14]

Re: Blender problems [message #60881 is a reply to message #60810] Tue, 21 December 2010 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"For creatures and NPCs, it's better to mix and match as best you can in the CCreatureDef, because when the mesh is exported, it is converted to DirectX and loses a lot of its data, including dynamic cloth which is really what makes the mesh look good, not to mention skinweights which I assume has something to do with the conversions from Lionhead's custom floats that they used because they suck at everything."
Especially sequels. Very Happy
hmm heres something interesting..there are "coop spirits"? Was Lionhead planning on making Fable multiplayer at some point? Just thought I'd mention it since I seem to be asking 10 questions a day anyway. Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2010 16:29]

Re: Blender problems [message #60883 is a reply to message #60881] Tue, 21 December 2010 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

I believe they were intending to make it co-op, but dropped it to meet a deadline. And it is possible to implement that system into modding, but it's as Johndoe says, "Anyone who has the skill doesn't have the time or dedication, and anyone who has the time or dedication, doesn't have the skill." Also, it's not a good idea to double post, you have an edit button for a reason. Wink

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2010 16:38]

Re: Blender problems [message #60890 is a reply to message #60883] Tue, 21 December 2010 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't actually planning on implementing that lol...I don't imagine there would be enough people playing a 10year old game, on the pc to make it worth implemening to be completely honest.
I could use some help getting a helmet mesh to show up on an npc though. Confused

sorry won't happen again Very Happy
Re: Blender problems [message #60892 is a reply to message #60881] Tue, 21 December 2010 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
This is getting off-topic. What I meant by 'they suck at everything' in the context of what I was talking about is that they used custom floats in their graphics, did animations in what has to be the most screwed up proprietary animation format that I've ever seen, did collision meshes in a completely different format altogether, can't maintain consistency if their lives depended on it, and quite possibly have the worst compression implementations ever. They suck at everything because it would appear that none of the devs even bothered to talk to one another about anything throughout the whole development process, yet I happen to know that the contrary is true which only makes it worse.

I wasn't at all talking about the stuff that was supposed to be in the game, the stuff that could have been in the game, or the stuff that used to be in the game before they removed it, that's a discussion that's already been had and settled.
Re: Blender problems [message #60893 is a reply to message #60892] Tue, 21 December 2010 22:02 Go to previous message
The problem with the mesh is obviously in the sub header and entry data. There is a crc list which I assume is part of both of these. If I can change these correctly, I should be able to import the dominatrix and demonic helm meshes.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2010 20:00]

Previous Topic: Creatures into clothing
Next Topic: Is this possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 09:46:59 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01555 seconds