Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Adding new content without replacing - how much?
icon5.gif  Adding new content without replacing - how much? [message #62944] Sat, 21 May 2011 15:06 Go to next message
Dark_Ansem is currently offline  Dark_Ansem

Hope this question was not asked before (at least, search says so).

How much and what can we add to the game WITHOUT replacing existing content? I'm talking of any kind of content, from textures to music. thanks for the time you'll use for answering.
Re: Adding new content without replacing - how much? [message #62946 is a reply to message #62944] Sat, 21 May 2011 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

We can add new objects, which includes new models and textures, we can make new text entries for these new objects, I think we can even add new effect entries if we use edited versions of existing effects(editing has to be done by hand with hex editor). We can also make new attack styles for the hero using existing animations, via the cappearancedef. But we can't make new spells, we can't make new levels, we can't make new quests, we can't add new NPC dialog, or edit existing NPC dialog for that matter. Pretty much, what makes modding most games really awesome, (IE:Full conversions, new areas, new quests), we can't do. But considering how much lionhead hates us, we can do a lot. Very Happy

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Adding new content without replacing - how much? [message #62948 is a reply to message #62944] Sat, 21 May 2011 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

new levels means new areas right? dammit.
and spells can only be overwritten. stupid lionhead. I guess it will have to do.

any idea on how to replicate the "diverse skies" mod?

effect entries, you mean augmentations? or actual damage types?

what about music? is it possible to add new music/set new music for, say, boss battles? or one can only overwrite it?

[Updated on: Sat, 21 May 2011 16:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Adding new content without replacing - how much? [message #62962 is a reply to message #62948] Sun, 22 May 2011 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Dark_Ansem wrote on Sat, 21 May 2011 19:10

any idea on how to replicate the "diverse skies" mod?

Nope.

effect entries, you mean augmentations? or actual damage types?

I mean the effects from effects.big. Rolling Eyes

what about music? is it possible to add new music/set new music for, say, boss battles? or one can only overwrite it?
Only overwrite existing music that I know. Confused
Hope this helped.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Adding new content without replacing - how much? [message #63202 is a reply to message #62944] Wed, 01 June 2011 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Alright. We can't do quests, spells, cutscenes or levels. Those are edit-only. And even with that, there are some limitations.

We can add new items, creatures, textures, meshes, effects and other stuff that I can't think of right now to our heart's content. There is an issue though, conflicts with effects, CAppearanceDef (animation) entries, collision meshes, and certain game.bin entries that make use of names.bin links. Because these things hold variable values in a way that FE/CBox can't automatically adjust when loading an FMP, we have to be careful and clever in how we do use them.

For example, I won't use new textures for a custom effect because the texture ID in the effect won't match up with the ID of the new texture unless the person using the FMP has the exact same mods loaded as I do. And with entries that link to names.bin offsets as opposed to enums, I will only use values that already exist because the offset will be different for the person using it. I wish I could think of a more detailed example for that one but I can't remember one offhand. Other than that I can't think of anything we can't add more of in the game.

Music, well, you can add music but it's such that it would be easier to just replace it, same result really. I can't remember where the value is held but the OGG file names are listed in the names.bin so they're being called somewhere in the game.bin.
Re: Adding new content without replacing - how much? [message #63205 is a reply to message #63202] Wed, 01 June 2011 00:51 Go to previous message

but music files are really a few in-game... that's why I asked about adding it new.
Previous Topic: Ultra low graphics for Fable TLC.
Next Topic: Fable Mods for Mac?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:47:47 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01187 seconds