Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » Armour value discovery
Armour value discovery [message #67376] Thu, 04 October 2012 18:58 Go to next message
primavista is currently offline  primavista
Probably not exactly a discovery, as I'm sure people have already found this out. Still, I was just tinkering around a little (thinking of changing round some armour values for my balancing mod) and I found that if an armour value is reduced to zero then you become invulnerable. Not even that you take to damage; no, hits just bounce off without even phasing the hero.

Thought this was kind of interesting, and just wondered if anyone had encountered this before, or knew the reason why! I'll also need to check if you need a full set of 0-armoured equipment for this to work (I just had the full naked set on) or if one will do.

"A humorous anecdote that makes you crease every time you read it."

"Great quote that is both philosophical and quality banter." - Some legendary person
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67377 is a reply to message #67376] Thu, 04 October 2012 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sativarg is currently offline  Sativarg
RE: zero = no damage

If the game engine calculates damage by dividing the hit by the armor rating then divide by zero = infinity 1/0=infinity. Well actually dividing by zero would just no be allowed.
Just guessing.
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67390 is a reply to message #67376] Mon, 08 October 2012 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
It's not dividing by zero, it's a multiplier, it multiplies by zero. Razz
The lower the number the lower the damage, with 1 being standard. For example, a value of 1.5 will cause it to take 1.5 times the damage.
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67416 is a reply to message #67390] Thu, 11 October 2012 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange
the armor rating of zero multiplied by the weapon damage of what ever...

so if my armor is rated 50 I will get hit with 50 times the damage?... that is hard to believe. Oh well... not important. I am not going to be modding any thing any way.
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67417 is a reply to message #67377] Thu, 11 October 2012 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Sativarg wrote on Thu, 04 October 2012 23:22

Well actually dividing by zero would just no be allowed.

I dunno, Nicomon divided by zero and survived. XD

Seriously though, good job y'all.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67418 is a reply to message #67376] Thu, 11 October 2012 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sup, brahs?

Just thought I'd clear this up. Zero would be a multiplier, as the armour values for each piece is decided by multiplying the ArmourPercentage value by a number that is different for each set of armour, which I'm not quite sure where to find yet.

Still, it's simple once you work out the values for each armour set. These are:

No clothing = 384.5
Dress = 416
Villager = 500
Apprentice = 500
Will User = 500
(Fire) Assassin = 500
Bandit = 526
Leather = 666
Guard = 588
Chainmail = 833.3
Platemail = 1000

I still need to check the Archon's armour, but I'm assuming it'll be 1000 like the plate. The various bonus hats that don't have a "set" have various values, I can post them if anyone likes too. Very Happy

So, say I wanted all the shirts in the game to have 200 armour, I could use these numbers to sort out the armour values easily. Just take the number value for the armour set you're changing, divide it by the armour value you want in game, and, voila! The result is what you put in the ArmourPercentage array.

So... ArmourPercentage = SetValue/InGameValue

The game always rounds down though, so run your number back through a calculator to make sure it goes above the value you want. Also, some of the armour sets can be a little weird. For example, even though the Platemail set's value is definitely 1000, it sometimes rounds numbers down by an extra digit for some reason.

For example, entering 0.35 for a plate piece should give you 350, but for some reason it gives you 349. Simply enough though, just change it to something like 0.3501, which the game realises is definitely above 350.

Phew, that was long-winded. Rolling Eyes
Well, hope this is of some help to people who were a little confused about how the armour values work. If we can just find this SetValue array I'll be happy. Very Happy

"Great quote that is both philosophical and quality banter." - Some legendary person
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67421 is a reply to message #67418] Thu, 11 October 2012 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK thanks primavista
When I saw "I found that if an armor value is reduced to zero then you become invulnerable. Not even that you take to damage; no, hits just bounce off without even phasing the hero."

I was kinda saying the damage from an attack might be equal to the armor value being deducted from weapon and weapon skill values when struck.

I did not make that at all clear in my first post in this thread. Sorry. I was trying to say the only way I knew of for an armor value (from a set of whole numbers) of zero to make one invincible or un-hitable is if zero was the divisor, some how, in an equation that determines the damage sustained when hit while wearing a given armor.

Any way I am way off topic so I better stop spamming.

Re: Armour value discovery [message #67423 is a reply to message #67418] Thu, 11 October 2012 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh man prima, you so smart, I like it. Very Happy
I was snooping around and found these values you're looking for to be in the CAppearanceModifierDef of each armour OBJECT entry. Thing is, they're constant. For each entry, they're the same for each type. Helmets and hats are 0.1, gloves are 0.1, shirts are 0.4, pants are 0.35 and boots are 0.05. It'd be a pain in the ass to rework these values as each one is in its own entry. Confused
As for the decimals being off here and there, floating point issues. Fable is really weird about that, at least in how it does the graphics.big stuff. I'm not sure if other floats are custom but I wouldn't be surprised.
Re: Armour value discovery [message #67424 is a reply to message #67423] Thu, 11 October 2012 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, those ones you found (ArmourPercentage) are the values that you multiply by this hidden armour set value to get the in-game number. Very Happy

So that's the box you change to change the armour values. See how all the torso pieces are 0.4 by default? That's why the Villager shirt has an armour value of 200 (0.4*500=200), while the Leather shirt has a value of 266 (0.4*666=266.4).

I don't know why they decided to do it that way; I'm no programmer, but surely it's easier to have one single value for each piece of armour that decides its value than having to numbers that play off one another? Very Happy

So it's pretty easy to change all the armour values. I changed the armour value of every piece of clothing in the game, and it literally only took my half an hour including working out all the set values. Simple stuff!

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2012 15:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Armour value discovery [message #67425 is a reply to message #67424] Thu, 11 October 2012 15:12 Go to previous message
Oh I see, I misunderstood but now I get it. That's going to be useful info. Smile
Previous Topic: Anyone interested?
Next Topic: Reproducing the hero.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:27:49 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01479 seconds