Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » CBox Stopped Working
CBox Stopped Working [message #67420] Thu, 11 October 2012 12:15 Go to next message
kyouki is currently offline  kyouki
As far as I've seen, I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I just downloaded Chocolate Box and went to open it and suddenly it won't work. I've tried running it in Compatability XPSP3 and As Admin and no results. Just a pop-up saying "Chocolate box has stopped working." Any help?
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67422 is a reply to message #67420] Thu, 11 October 2012 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lenop is currently offline  Lenop
I've found that ChocolateBox is kind of picky when it comes to how things are set up. I know of a few things that might be going on.

It didn't like that I had seemingly a million MSVC++ runtimes installed. Neither did anything else on my computer, really. So I just uninstalled all of them and downloaded and installed the very latest updates to 2005, 2008 and 2010, both x86 and x64. Everything runs much smoother after I did this. Here are the links.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2634 7
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2636 8
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2699 9

And I had some weird issues first trying to use ChocolateBox. It had already dumped the FinalAlbion.wad, but I had some problems and uninstalled/reinstalled Fable and I ended up having a FinalAlbion.wad and a renamed FinalAlbion.wad as well as a dumped set of LEV and TNG files, so ChocolateBox tried redumping and renaming the FinalAlbion.wad and couldn't, since there was already a file with the same name and it didn't know what to do and crashed.

Solution: Delete the dumped files, delete the renamed FinalAlbion.wad, and maybe dump the files yourself with FreeRoam if you want free roaming. Reading the forums here and there I see people talking about patching the userst.ini to not use the WAD file, that doesn't seem to be necessary but ChocolateBox wants that to be done too.

The last thing, I notice you said compatibility for XPSP3, so I'm assuming you're on Vista or Windows 7. I had problems with this too and followed this guide on these forums, worked everything out for me. Smile
http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=8110& ;start=0&

After you take care of these things, everything should work much, much better.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67426 is a reply to message #67422] Thu, 11 October 2012 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my idiot self just realized I hadn't downloaded the most recent version, but now I keep getting that Unhandled Exception dialog and it won't run anything, whether I hit continue or not.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67427 is a reply to message #67426] Thu, 11 October 2012 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Did you uninstall all of your MSVC++ runtimes? You really need to uninstall them, then reinstall the new ones.

Did you take care of the Vista/Windows 7 issue? That's another must-do.

Did you check to see if there was an issue with the FinalAlbion.wad renaming thing? Can't rename a file if the new name is already used by an existing file.

By most recent version, do you mean of ChocolateBox? If you follow the steps, just about anything should work just fine.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67428 is a reply to message #67427] Thu, 11 October 2012 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh dear, my bad for not explaining it. Yeah, I followed your steps and it still didn't work. Then I went back to the download page and realized I didn't have the most recent version. Then it started working but I keep getting this message for every little thing.

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The specified module could not be found. (Exceptioin from hresult:0x8007007e).
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67430 is a reply to message #67428] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Searching around the forums, I find that 0x8007007e means that you don't have the prerequisites. I'd go back and make sure you have the MSVC++ runtimes, DirectX runtimes, and whichever version of .NET is needed by ChocolateBox. Getting 3.5 or above should give you everything you need for any of the tools on this site. 4.0 or above is nice to have anyway, never know what else might need it.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67432 is a reply to message #67430] Thu, 11 October 2012 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have .NET 4 and my DirectX is up to date. I'm gonna redo the MSVC's again.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67433 is a reply to message #67432] Thu, 11 October 2012 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still nothing, man. That pop-up keeps showing. I only had 05-10 so I uninstalled them all then reinstalled them. I'm seriously up to date on it all.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67434 is a reply to message #67433] Thu, 11 October 2012 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've re-installed it, given all permissions, updated everything and nothing.
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67435 is a reply to message #67420] Thu, 11 October 2012 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry to hear that, and stumped as well. All I know is that the error means lacking prerequisites, for certain. So I know it has something to do with one of those things. I just wish I could help you. Sad
Re: CBox Stopped Working [message #67436 is a reply to message #67435] Thu, 11 October 2012 22:56 Go to previous message
Thanks anyways dude.
Previous Topic: Chocolate Box Region Editor
Next Topic: Fable TLC Anniversary?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:10:58 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01079 seconds