Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tutorials » Tutorial: Playing Fable, TLC and mod it on Linux!
icon14.gif  Tutorial: Playing Fable, TLC and mod it on Linux! [message #68979] Fri, 05 July 2013 12:35 Go to next message
Final-Z is currently offline  Final-Z
Hello!

So, just as the name of the thread suggest, This tutorial will allow Linux users to play Fable on a Linux platform.

I'm warning you now, it can be a long ride ^^

Depending on your linux version, This tutorial may or may not work. It has been tested on a Ubuntu 13.04: Raring Ringtail.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Installing the .Net Framework must be done BEFORE installing fable if you want to mod the game, or it will most likely crash, and everything will get complicated!

Index

Playing Fable!
1- Getting Wine (done)
2- Getting the .Net framework (done)
3- Installing Fable: TLC (done)

Modding Fable!
5- Fable Explorer (done)
6- Free Roam app (done)
____________________________________________________________ __

1- Getting Wine

First of all, you will need a program called Wine. This program will create directories in your linux system and implant various aspects of a Windows operating system, such as the registry.

*BE WARNED! Doing so will not only allow you to execute games, it will also allow windows viruses to infect your system! Wine is free of infection though, but get an anti-virus if you want to try it!*

There is many version of Wine, and many other similar programs, but just to keep things simple, we'll go with the latest version of Wine.

Here's the official Website, where you will have the full info!

-www.winehq.org

Now, let's get Wine downloaded and installed! There's two ways to get this done, the first being the simple one.

a) Open your package manager (Synaptic on 13.04)
b) search for the package wine-mono0.0.8
c) Download the beast ^^

The second idea is to get it directly on the package's website. This should not be necessary, do it only if there's a problem with the first one. I did not test it myself, since the first option worked great...

a) go to this website: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/wine-1.6-r c4.tar.bz2/download?use_mirror=iweb

b) Download it. It will be a tar.bz2 file, which you need to extract.

c) Once it is done, open it, go to the Tools folder and run install.sh

(make sure you are allowed to execute it by going into the file's properties, and selecting: Can be executed by -> Everyone)

Once it is done, look at your home folder. If there is a hidden folder named .wine, everything is good! Very Happy If this is the case, Wine is now installed and running.

If there is any issue, you can always send me a private message, and I'll be more than happy to help you.

There is also many websites that offer help, just take a look!

-> www.winehq.org/FAQ - Dedicated to wine
-> www.askubuntu.com - More of a general help forum, but there's still a lot of valuable knowledge there!

____________________________________________________________ _____

2-Getting the .Net Framework through Winetricks

* Winetricks? hey, what is that thing? *

-Winetricks is an app that allows you to install Windows stuff on your system, such as specific dlls aaaaand the Precious .Net Framework 2.0, which is necessary for FE (so it is also necessary to mod Fable)

There is no additionnal download to do. Winetricks is now installed with Wine, which was not the case about 2 weeks ago.

just go in your terminal and type this:

winetricks dotnet20

for 64bits OS, enter this instead:
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks dotnet20

this will create a 32bit windows entry for wine, and install the framework in it. (Fable will have to be install in .wine32 too!)

Now this is where it can get tricky. The download and install may be done correctly, but the .net framework is known to have problems on linux, and there is almost 1000 different possible errors.

So I can't really write a full workaround here. If it goes wrong, search the internet or PM me! Very Happy

The successful install of the framework will allow you to execute FE and mod Fable.
____________________________________________________________ _____

3- Installing Fable TLC

Now you can install Fable!

A) If you have trouble with the CD Drive:

-> You must tell Wine where to find your Cd Drive! Insert the Cd-rom first (obvious) In the Wine start menu, there is the option to configure Wine. Open it, and go to the drive tab. Now press the auto detect button, and search for a drive pointing to /media/your user name/your CD-Rom name.

If there is none, create a Drive with a letter of D or higher (A and B are floppy disc, and C is your hard drive) wich leads to /media/your user name/the CD-Rom name.

now it can find it, and everything's fine. But, there's another little problem. When the game ask you to change CDs, the directory name changes!

no big deal, just repeat the steps! the CD name folder does not always change automatically. Or at least it was the case with older version of Wine, I just moved to 1.6.4, so there is still testing to do Very Happy

B) Installing the game (Finally ^^)

If you can execute the CD

If you want Fable to work, you must place it in a correct directory within Wine's folder. It is pretty simple. In your home directory, there's a hidden folder called .wine (the dot is important)

Just install Fable with this configuration:

/home/your user name/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Fable - The Lost Chapters

Basically, it is the default installation folder of Fable on windows. The installer will read it as:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters.

And that's precisely what we want. Failling to install it in it's default directory will cause trouble to Fable Explorer, so you will have to edit the windows registry and... You definitely don't want that.

Everything should work the same as it does on Windows. Now if you go on the said directory, your game is there, and you can execute it like normal! But there is still some configuration to do.

Aaaand the step C is there for you! Very Happy

last note: Changing the lighting intensity can be annoying, since it applys the canges to your desktop too even after the game is closed. The same is true for the game's resolution.

C) Configuring Wine

Open the same app that allowed you to configure the drives. go to the Applications Tab, and then do this:

- Click on ''Add application'' if Fable:TLC is not yet present.
- now navigate to your fable folder, and select Fable.exe

This allows you to create specifics configuration for Fable and other games you have. It can be very useful, since not all game are handled in the same way in Wine...

This is my configuration, it works pretty good on my system, but it could be different on yours!

-Go to the display tab (could be inexact, My wine is in french)

- check the second and third options only. The fourth one is not necessary, as it may cause problems. If you need it on, set the resolution to your native settings. It is not really important, but gives better results.

Maybe I'll add more info later, if necessary.

Modding Fable! (yeah!)
____________________________________________________________ ____

Fable Explorer:

Just get it from this site (no, really?!) and if the .Net Framework installation succeded, you will have no problem using it. Again, Fable must be installed in

/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Fable - The Lost Chapters

in 64bits OS, replace the /.wine part by /.wine32

It should now be running nice and smooth! ^^
I need to test it further, I have not done much with it yet...

Free Roam App:

Same thing, but there is two known bugs, which are caused only by linux, not Wine or the App itself. So those bugs may or may not be present on your system.

bug #1: files won't appear in the search menu. If you try to select FinalAlbion.wad in your levels folder, it won't appear, but is still there. just write it's name, open the correct folder and open the file!

bug #2: There's an odd one. The app cannot find the right directory to extract the files, so no matter where you tell it to extract the files, it will just say: I'll extract here, then! and extract all files in the FreeRoam.exe actual folder.

Plus, all the files are renamed, which forces you to rename them all one by one, which is... VERY ANNOYING! no jokes, it is a real pain :/

Sooo, If you truly want to have that free roam mod... There's an fmp file! *run away*

Here we are! Fable is running, Fable Explorer is operational, what else could we want?

Have a good day Very Happy
Re: Tutorial: Playing Fable, TLC and mod it on Linux! [message #68980 is a reply to message #68979] Fri, 05 July 2013 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

Thanks for sharing the fix to the problems you had. Hopefully any one else who has the problem will search and find this great looking tutorial. I can only say it looks great, I don't understand it well enough to say it is great, lol.

Re: Tutorial: Playing Fable, TLC and mod it on Linux! [message #68990 is a reply to message #68980] Sat, 06 July 2013 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

Sweet tutorial, if I get a chance I'll try it out and let you know if I get it working.

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Tutorial: Playing Fable, TLC and mod it on Linux! [message #68993 is a reply to message #68979] Sat, 06 July 2013 12:21 Go to previous message
Final-Z is currently offline  Final-Z
Thanks everyone! ^^

I'm afraid I got some bad news:

FE does not fully works yet. There is a big problem that partially breaks it.

It does not crash, or whatever, but whenever a defenition entry is selected, nothing happen. he right section of FE displays nothing, even if it looks like FE is loading something.

This means one using linux cannot mod Fable on his own or create fmps, but can load them correctly.

It does not look like's there is a workaround for this problem, it's all within WINE's code, so unless a further release fixes that, there's nothing we can do! :/

So that's it. :3

EDIT:
Great news! There has been an update some days ago on ubuntu, and guess what?

Both the Free roam app and FE works at 100%, no bugs. My FE works even better than on my former windows system, on which I never could install the new item packs 2.5, and now boom! worked like a charm.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 July 2013 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Porting Skyrim Objects
Next Topic: [Weapons] Change weapon damage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:26:19 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01453 seconds