Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Level Scripting » Landscape Mesh Exporting
Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69489] Mon, 09 September 2013 07:39 Go to next message
CultOfByron is currently offline  CultOfByron
Hi there,

I'm curious as to whether it's possible to export any sort of meaningful landscape/terrain/heightmap data for use in other landscape rendering programs?

My aim for this would to be to explore the possibilities for an open, explorable Albion in another game engine, but without the actual game mechanics of Fable.

This is purely for my own education and I want to be sure of the limitations before I get too far into it!

I see that Chocolate Box can display the landscape mesh, can it also export it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

[Updated on: Mon, 09 September 2013 07:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69490 is a reply to message #69489] Mon, 09 September 2013 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

I would assume that all landscape meshes not stored in graphics.big would be stored in the .stb stuff, which is a pain in the ass to work through. By all accounts the .stb is a massive conglomeration of infuriatingly confusing hexadecimal code that makes little to no sense to anyone with an IQ above 50. Confused

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69491 is a reply to message #69490] Tue, 10 September 2013 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply - I'm trawling through graphics.big right now to see what's there. Lots of good stuff even if the actual landscapes aren't there.

I was hoping the dreaded ".stb" wouldn't be the answer but I guess I'll just have to plough on!

I'm surprised that the CBox region editor can see the landscapes if they're that hidden away.
Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69492 is a reply to message #69491] Tue, 10 September 2013 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Chances are that if the meshes are there, CBox just follows a link in the landscape object to its appropriate mesh.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69496 is a reply to message #69492] Wed, 11 September 2013 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those meshes have to be somewhere! Very Happy

From a couple of other threads around here, and the LEV file info on the Wiki, I gather that the heightmap data is somewhere in the LEV files.

I never thought it'd be easy to do this though so I'm trying to be methodical in working out how to get the landscape data "out". Chocolate Box does seem the best way into doing that at the moment,

I have Albion Explorer too, which has a world editor but I'm having problems running it so I'm not aware of it's full functionality.

Don't you just hate noob modders? Rolling Eyes
Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69497 is a reply to message #69496] Wed, 11 September 2013 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If I remember correctly, heightmaps are mostly handled through none other than the infamous .stb. Confused

Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69633 is a reply to message #69489] Wed, 23 October 2013 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ffflyaway is currently offline  ffflyaway
I'm surprised that the CBox region editor can see the landscapes if they're that hidden away.

Re: Landscape Mesh Exporting [message #69635 is a reply to message #69489] Wed, 23 October 2013 07:30 Go to previous message
The heightmap/field or terrain mesh information is located in the .lev files for each region, as well as the .stb. This information is gleaned from posts that other people have made and from the wiki on this site. Apologies, seems I was ahead of myself in my assumptions there.

So it must be possible to extract this in some form; either as a heightmap image or a mesh from which a heightmap image could be created. It could also be imported into a landscape generation program - which is my intention. I read in the Chocolate Box thread that Baystone can extract landscape meshes? (As evidenced by the Chocolate Box region editor.) http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=579 5&goto=69129#msg_69129

Since Chocolate Box and Albion Explorer can "see" the landscape mesh/heightmap information, then I imagine it's feasible to find a way to export this information in some usable format. If perhaps Baystone isn't interested in this thread, would it be possible to add an option to export meshes/heightmaps? How involved would this be?

[Updated on: Mon, 16 December 2013 05:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: The Hero's Cave
Next Topic: Is there a way to change voice of spawn NPC?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:15:57 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01354 seconds