Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » Batch entry editing
Batch entry editing [message #70188] Sat, 29 March 2014 22:40 Go to next message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
This thread is to share my methods and to ask what yours is. Very simples.

I find myself in the non-unique position of editing a vast amount of entries, which even with help from FableExplorer and ChocolateBox is a very tedious task. Rather than open every entry to change a single boolean in each one, I've come up with a tiresome and still tedious way of doing this almost all at once.

1. Use ChocolateBox to dump the game.bin.
2. Delete all entries I'm not interested in.
3. Use an app like ntouch to change the created/accessed/modified dates of remaining files to the same, maybe midnight of 1/1/2000 (this makes sense later on).
3. Merge all remaining entries into a tarball.
4. Use Hex Workshop to open and export my tarball as text.
5. Modify it in Notepad2 or something similar so it's all just one line, and without all the hex and addresses. Save.
6. Open the new text document in Hex Workshop, add line breaks to the end of each entry to break them into individual lines.
7. Using the control CRCs as a guide, I can now use Notepad2 to mass edit every object entry, and because each line starts with the name of the entry being edited, I'm not going about it completely blindly.
8. When I'm finished editing, I remove line breaks from the tarball. Copy text, paste as hex into blank hex workshop document. Save as new tarball.
9. Extract contents of tarball and hope the character counts didn't get fubar'd. If successful, I have a bunch of edited entries.
10. Manually import the entries one at a time into game.bin using FableExplorer or ChocolateBox.

Somewhere in this, I have spent more time "saving" time. While this system has the benefit of being universal, error proof (when it comes to the actual editing), and complete as you can't miss any entries, it feels like it'd be faster if I just edited all the entries from within FableExplorer by hand. I can't tell which one is more monotonous.

Anyone else have their own system for doing this? Help me out, teach me a better/faster way. Unless ChocolateBox also has a "recompile" feature I'm unaware of...

Re: Batch entry editing [message #70194 is a reply to message #70188] Sun, 30 March 2014 11:54 Go to previous message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
Well, I feel like a fool.

There is a much easier way to batch edit and it simply never occurred to me.

1. Pack all entries to be batch edited into FMP.
2. Open FMP in hex editor.
3. Using control CRCs as guide, edit as you please (like, find replace DD23524E01 with DD23524E00 will prevent all entries from adding to a combat multiplier) - just keep the character counts the same within entries.
4. Save, load FMP.

So much easier. So. Much.

Still, if anyone else has a better solution, or even a crappy way of doing this to make me feel better about my prior method, let me know.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 March 2014 11:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Cbox Help (Won't open)
Next Topic: Re: FableExplorer - ShadowNet Builds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:18:27 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00992 seconds