Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » You guys use a lot of software stuff, right?
You guys use a lot of software stuff, right? [message #70350] Mon, 28 April 2014 02:36 Go to next message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
tl;dr

Looking for a tool that can find a hex string across multiple files and output a list of matches to a text file OR Screen capture software that supports scrolling windows and has OCR functionality OR Screen capture software that doesn't suck and supports scrolling windows as well as a good OCR tool.

Budget: Up to $50.

I am currently looking for anything that can find a hex string across multiple files AND output a list of matches into a text file, something I can see and edit and do stuff with.

Right now I have Hex Editor Neo, super cool, it can do the search part rather effectively and because it can also do batch find/replace operations, it's getting a permanent spot in my utility belt. The problem is that it doesn't output the matches to text. It gives me a window with the text I need in it, but I can't do anything with that, no copy/paste or anything.

Short of that, screen capture software that can do scrolling windows and includes OCR functionality. I used to have such a tool. It was free, it was good, it was useful, it supported working with scrolling windows, and I forget the name of it and can't for the life of me find it again. The one I ended up with, TechSmith's SnagIt, notifies me after I waste my time that it can't do the operation and recommends I just copy and paste the text. If I could do that... /me strangles computer monitor

Short of that, two different tools, one that can do the screen capture of the scrolling window and one that can do the OCR operation.

While I obviously prefer good and free software, I understand that not all good software is free, so I'm willing to spend some money on this, not too much but enough for a good tool. I already dropped some money on HEN.

Re: You guys use a lot of software stuff, right? [message #70351 is a reply to message #70350] Mon, 28 April 2014 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
xxNick wrote on Mon, 28 April 2014 04:36

tl;dr

Looking for a tool that can find a hex string across multiple files and output a list of matches to a text file OR Screen capture software that supports scrolling windows and has OCR functionality OR Screen capture software that doesn't suck and supports scrolling windows as well as a good OCR tool.

Budget: Up to $50.

I am currently looking for anything that can find a hex string across multiple files AND output a list of matches into a text file, something I can see and edit and do stuff with.

Right now I have Hex Editor Neo, super cool, it can do the search part rather effectively and because it can also do batch find/replace operations, it's getting a permanent spot in my utility belt. The problem is that it doesn't output the matches to text. It gives me a window with the text I need in it, but I can't do anything with that, no copy/paste or anything.

Short of that, screen capture software that can do scrolling windows and includes OCR functionality. I used to have such a tool. It was free, it was good, it was useful, it supported working with scrolling windows, and I forget the name of it and can't for the life of me find it again. The one I ended up with, TechSmith's SnagIt, notifies me after I waste my time that it can't do the operation and recommends I just copy and paste the text. If I could do that... /me strangles computer monitor

Short of that, two different tools, one that can do the screen capture of the scrolling window and one that can do the OCR operation.

While I obviously prefer good and free software, I understand that not all good software is free, so I'm willing to spend some money on this, not too much but enough for a good tool. I already dropped some money on HEN.

Maybe grep or find? I've done it before with free programs. I just can't remember off hand.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: You guys use a lot of software stuff, right? [message #70352 is a reply to message #70351] Mon, 28 April 2014 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Mon, 28 April 2014 06:26

Maybe grep or find? I've done it before with free programs. I just can't remember off hand.

Grep. An incredibly useful tool I hadn't heard of until today. Exactly the sort of thing I needed, it's perfect. You've just saved me a countless number days doing mindless crap and I cannot thank you enough for that.

Re: You guys use a lot of software stuff, right? [message #70353 is a reply to message #70352] Mon, 28 April 2014 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
xxNick wrote on Mon, 28 April 2014 08:13

Keshire wrote on Mon, 28 April 2014 06:26

Grep. An incredibly useful tool I hadn't heard of until today. Exactly the sort of thing I needed, it's perfect. You've just saved me a countless number days doing mindless crap and I cannot thank you enough for that.

If you use nix, you can also use sed to replace.

http://vasir.net/blog/ubuntu/replace_string_in_multiple_file s

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: You guys use a lot of software stuff, right? [message #70354 is a reply to message #70353] Mon, 28 April 2014 10:38 Go to previous message
Keshire wrote on Mon, 28 April 2014 12:23

If you use nix, you can also use sed to replace.

http://vasir.net/blog/ubuntu/replace_string_in_multiple_file s

Came across it when looking for other things I could use grep for. Just blows my mind I hadn't heard of these things before. I'm usually on top of my game when it comes to utilities of this very specific nature. These exact things could have greatly aided me in my years as a misguided youth doing shit by hand.

Also blowing my mind, why did I not ask here first? But yea. It's done, it took me less than a minute to get what I needed, in entirety, all my searches be done as well as a few more I felt like tossing in afterward, which I should probably say is an additional thing currently blowing my mind.

My own time-saving solutions just make things harder and, ironically, take longer. So. I know I was already stalking you and stuff. But. Yep. Now I'm definitely going to nag you for information of this sort when I come across similar bottlenecks. Smile

Previous Topic: How the whole fable modding thing got started
Next Topic: I made a youtubes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:52:47 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00964 seconds