Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Deleting Sub Meshes?
Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70441] Tue, 24 June 2014 06:49 Go to next message
Silva is currently offline  Silva
I have these 3 objects, however I want to get rid of the face mask on one of the hood/mask combination objects, so I have a hood, a mask and a hood/mask. Is there a way you can delete sub-meshes? What would be the best way to do this?

After I've successfully done that, i'm going to release the three as part of a pack, i'll give credit to the original makers of the objects and guides I've used as well as anyone who helps me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Realized that the image was too large to stand on its own, put in spoiler tags. -Moderator

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2014 18:34] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70443 is a reply to message #70441] Tue, 24 June 2014 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

You can't delete submeshes directly from FE. You have to remove them in a 3D modelling program(I would use 3DS Max, just so that you can keep all the skinweights and whatnot). If all you're looking to do is make a piece of the mesh no longer visible, however, you can convert the submesh's texture entirely into alpha, making that particular submesh transparent.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70446 is a reply to message #70441] Tue, 24 June 2014 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I can't change the opacity of the texture, because I would need to change the alpha of the face mask, which I use for the other two objects..

Can I add my own empty (or transparent) texture, and use that instead? (Or if someone wants to make a maskless hood for me, then that's cool too Smile )
Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70450 is a reply to message #70446] Tue, 24 June 2014 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You can add a new texture entirely to link to it, yes. Make a new entry by taking the texture you want to edit, and rename its entry. Once you've done that, load it into an FMP, and do not save and run Fable. Instead exit out of FE, then load the FMP. Now you'll have a new entry at the bottom of your Textures.big. Load your pure alpha texture into that entry, then link the submeshes you want to be invisible to that texture.

Hope I was clear enough, I tend to have a problem explaining this stuff, especially without FE up and running to use as a reference.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70452 is a reply to message #70450] Tue, 24 June 2014 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, made the new texture, however the mask turns white on the preview of the mesh, what I did was go on photoshop and make a blank image (turned a white image all the way to 0% opactity). Do I need to make put in that transparent pink colour used in some of the texture maps?

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2014 14:43]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70453 is a reply to message #70452] Tue, 24 June 2014 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No, you don't. Load the texture as DXT-3, with alpha set to 1.

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70455 is a reply to message #70453] Tue, 24 June 2014 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fantastic, going to attempt it now, that's the last piece of the puzzle, i've finally managed to make a hood item seperate from the masked hood that works when you spawn it in game (a LOT of name changing). I'm pretty proud of myself that I discovered through trial and error why certain things weren't working.

Reinstalling Fable so I can test it fresh, but i'll let you know when it's done, thanks for all the help. Going to release the Hood and Mask Package soon that contains a Mask, Hood and Masked Hood. Along with all the people who's objects/guides I used i'll definitely give you credit Smile

I know it's not fantastic for a first mod, but I couldn't be happier with the progress i've made and things i've learned ^_^

EDIT: Hmm, it still comes out as white on the Mesh, the transparent texture was imported as DXT3 and Alpha is set to 1, so i'm not sure where i'm going wrong, i'll try and figure it out but if the answer is obvious then please let me know Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2014 19:00]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70457 is a reply to message #70455] Tue, 24 June 2014 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It could be that FE's preview just doesn't want to render alpha. Have you tested it in-game?

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70458 is a reply to message #70457] Tue, 24 June 2014 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would love to, but now i'm getting a Zlib decompression error when attempting to open the fmp I made for my Alpha Texture and when trying to merge the Alpha texture with the rest of the pack.

Nothing ever wants to go right for me does it, one problem is solved and another appears :')

EDIT: After some searching, i've found I might need Fable Tools, but literally every link to a file link no longer works. I might not actually need it if it turns out there is another solution but that's the only answer i've found myself.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2014 19:41]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70459 is a reply to message #70458] Tue, 24 June 2014 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Zlib decompression error? Haven't heard of that one before. I think this has advanced to something a bit beyond the realm of my expertise. I will state that I haven't heard of Fable Tools before, except for maybe in passing reference. That said, chances are that it's an old tool that no longer exists on site.

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70462 is a reply to message #70441] Wed, 25 June 2014 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it might have been me making a stupid mistake again, I tried to save the file as an fmp when I should have compiled it as a BIG, I think it's sorted now, going to test everything pretty soon.

EDIT: Okay the fmp works correctly, and i've saved the texture as a BIG, however the opacity effect still isn't working, the mask is white in-game. Should it work if I put in a bmp that i made in photoshop with 0% opacity, because at the moment it doesn't seem to be? I'm pretty alright with photoshop but in confess I don't know how to make pure alpha images... i've tried finding ways via google but no luck up to now.

EDIT2: BAM! Think I might have possibly done it, I made an image with an alpha channel and saved it as a png rather than a bmp, the Mesh looks a little odd, but will have to see what it looks like in-game.

EDIT3: HAHAH Very Happy It works in game! So happy right now, planning on releasing this on the packages section in a minute, just making a few last minute fixes.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2014 12:20]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70463 is a reply to message #70462] Wed, 25 June 2014 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Alrighty, glad that got sorted out. Be sure to give credit to the original creator, whom, near as I can tell, is JohnDoe. Also, a mod like this would probably be better off in Objects rather than in Packages.

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70465 is a reply to message #70463] Wed, 25 June 2014 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, given credit where it's due, however i've literally just put the post on packages, oops, if a mod wants to move it then okie doke.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2014 14:09]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70517 is a reply to message #70441] Thu, 24 July 2014 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swanky_e
so i think it was Silva that i saw make a post about making curtain parts of clothing mesh invisible by editing the texture and coloring certain part you dont want to show up bright purple cuz that is the color the game uses for invisible textures ?

[Updated on: Sun, 24 May 2015 22:48]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70518 is a reply to message #70441] Thu, 24 July 2014 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Swanky,

I'm going to try and get around to helping you today a little later, i'll mess around with Fable Explorer and see If I can figure out what I did to make it work, at the moment try and see if this works:

Download the texture added in this post, I think Alpha Textures only work if you give it an opacity map manually rather than just changing the opacity or colour so thats what I did with this Texture, so it should work for you.

Add into it's own Texture Entry, or replace one you are okay with replacing. Make sure to make the Entry type DXT3 and then set the Alpha to 1 after you've imported it if it isn't already.

Then make the sub mesh graphic link to the texture ID and it might work, although it might not for definite as this all from mind, if it doesn't let me know and I'll go on Fable Explorer later and try to help you out.
Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70520 is a reply to message #70518] Thu, 24 July 2014 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swanky_e
i tried to do most of what you said the only program i have for retexturing is Paint.net , i used your texture with my retexture but the last step about linking the sub mesh i am not so sure on how to do , it still dosent work ill post again if i figure it out.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2014 18:57]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70526 is a reply to message #70520] Fri, 25 July 2014 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

Swanky_e wrote on Thu, 24 July 2014 20:55

the last step about linking the sub mesh

Go the graphics.big ALLMESHES and find the clothing piece you want and set the Texture ID there.Open the item, click Materials, then click on each material to change the "Base Texture ID".

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70527 is a reply to message #70526] Sat, 26 July 2014 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swanky_e
i tried it and the texture i am replacing is the dark plate armor shirt and shoulder pads , i made a copy of the your texture than superimposed it over with my retextures than i replaced the old dark plate i checked about the mesh ID thing but the only mesh that was listed was Floded Dark Plate and the ID where already the right ones , when i go to put the armor on in game it crashes but in FE is looks right.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 July 2014 03:25]

Re: Deleting Sub Meshes? [message #70529 is a reply to message #70527] Sun, 27 July 2014 10:31 Go to previous message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

be sure that the you set DXT to 3, and leave the alpha as 1.

Previous Topic: How to find the texture I want to edit?
Next Topic: Editing / creating enemies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:01:33 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01503 seconds