FABLE: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene Site Rules 

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Preferred media for modding Fable TLC? (Modding Fable TLC)
Preferred media for modding Fable TLC? [message #71907] Sun, 20 May 2018 21:17 Go to next message
tracyduh is currently offline  tracyduh
I have seen during reading all sorts of posts and tutorials on modding Fable TLC that it is possible to mod with the Steam version, but a lot of people recommended just getting an original disk. I found disks with their original product keys on Ebay, but also found that the Microsoft website has one for sale. That one states on the label that it's a "Games for Windows PC DVD" (according to the chat assistant, it's designed to work for 64-bit systems even though it's a 32-bit game). Has anyone tried modding with the newer DVD version, would it make a difference that it's not the CD-ROM version?
Re: Preferred media for modding Fable TLC? [message #71908 is a reply to message #71907] Sun, 20 May 2018 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stoned_Villager is currently offline  Stoned_Villager
As far as I am aware, it's possible to mod with any version, including the Steam one. I don't remember if you have to do something specific to realize that you have a Steam version, but I haven't had any issues with mine and I have like 4 back-ups of it. But it always knows to edit the Steam version in my directory.

Long story short: Trial and error is an essential part of modding.

If you're looking for tools to actually mod the game, then here are some links:
Tutorials
Fable Explorer / Shadownet
ChocolateBox
ChocolateBox Guide

Edit: So, I looked into this a bit more and here is what I learned.

Most physical PC games now are made in a DVD format. The two most common types of readable disks nowadays are either Blu-ray or DVD.
Due to small storage space, most of the data for games used to be put on multiple CD Roms. A DVD version basically means that all of the data in the CD roms are compressed into one DVD.

I have no idea if a DVD-Version of Fable:TLC is a legitimate thing however, so becareful.

I own both a physical and steam version of the game (and an Xbox version of the original Fable, shame I no nothing about modding consoles), but it saves so much time to just use the steam version. Since the original PAL-version (of The Lost Chapters) had like 4 disks that you need to install. Which is actually a good example of a CD-Rom version and why games are sometimes later released on DVDs.

Just a big fan of the greatest game that was ever created...

[Updated on: Mon, 21 May 2018 16:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Preferred media for modding Fable TLC? [message #71909 is a reply to message #71907] Mon, 21 May 2018 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

I don't think the game install being on 4 CDs or 1 dvdrom is going to matter for you. Once the game is installed and playable, then you will mod only the files that are going to be on your hard drive, never files on the disks.
I don't know how Steam works, but if you go that route Stoned villager can help you.

Re: Preferred media for modding Fable TLC? [message #71910 is a reply to message #71907] Tue, 22 May 2018 00:44 Go to previous message
Stoned_Villager is currently offline  Stoned_Villager
Always happy to lend a hand Smile

Just a big fan of the greatest game that was ever created...
Previous Topic: Chocolate Box... Error?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 18 20:11:44 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00904 seconds