Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Requests » Request - Separate controls for block/roll
icon1.gif  Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70153] Sun, 23 March 2014 07:57 Go to next message
John is currently offline  John
Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to separate the controls for block and roll, similar to Fable 2/3. I find it very annoying when you are attacking in a direction, hit the block key and roll instead of blocking the attack.

I did look through about every page in the mod section, but if I missed a mod like this then I am sorry.

Also new to the modding scene. I am wondering if it is possible to make/change animations for the game, and if there is a tutorial around here if someone knows. I know the game is old, but despite it maybe not being as fleshed out and whatnot as other games, I played it fairly young and it was a great game to have growing up.

Thanks for any help!

Enjoy being DEAD! You sack of Bricks!
Re: Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70154 is a reply to message #70153] Sun, 23 March 2014 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Alright, for the block/roll thing... Not possible.

You can swap animations about in the game, but I'd reccomend you get a little more experience under your belt before trying it. Still, if you want to give it a shot, you'll need Fable Explorer and Silverback's CAppearanceDef app. As for making new animations, I'm not entirely certain. If I remember correctly, it's possible, but hard as balls for you to get anything to work correctly.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70155 is a reply to message #70154] Sun, 23 March 2014 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
asmcint wrote on Sun, 23 March 2014 13:19

Alright, for the block/roll thing... Not possible.

You can swap animations about in the game, but I'd reccomend you get a little more experience under your belt before trying it. Still, if you want to give it a shot, you'll need Fable Explorer and Silverback's CAppearanceDef app. As for making new animations, I'm not entirely certain. If I remember correctly, it's possible, but hard as balls for you to get anything to work correctly.

Might do some good to go back through the defs and see if this is possible now.

We've also gotten the format of how the animations are added into the animationdef. So it should be a bit more easier to figure it out.

I think this might be doable.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70156 is a reply to message #70155] Sun, 23 March 2014 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint

Huh. If that's the case, maybe we can get some slightly more historically accurate animations into the game.

Read the site rules, as well as individual thread rules, stickies and announcements, and use search, or you will have smartassy or exasperated ownage rained down upon you by the site's crack team of mods and admins. Also, you can find all you need to get started on modding here.
Re: Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70159 is a reply to message #70156] Mon, 24 March 2014 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
asmcint wrote on Sun, 23 March 2014 20:59

Huh. If that's the case, maybe we can get some slightly more historically accurate animations into the game.

I did some brief looking around, and this looks like it might be a bit complicated to get setup.

There isn't a game action for rolling. Just blocking, and I'm not sure how they assign the game actions to the anim actions. I'd assume your best bet is to hijack a game action and find which anim action it's assigned to.

pc_controls.def
Controls.Add(CActionInputControl(GAME_ACTION_BLOCK, CONTROLLER_MOUSE, MOUSE_BUTTON_MIDDLE_CONTROL));

some CAppearanceDef entry examples
		Animation.StartGroup("SWORD");
			Animation.Add("ST_IDLE",					ANIM_HERO_COMBAT_IDLE_1_1);
			Animation.Add("ST_IDLE_SUBTLE",				ANIM_HERO_COMBAT_IDLE_1_1);
			Animation.Add("ST_WALK",					ANIM_HERO_WALK_WITH_SWORD, Flags(ANIM_FLAG_PRELOAD), TransTime(7));
			Animation.Add("ST_JOG",						ANIM_HERO_JOG_WITH_SWORD, Flags(ANIM_FLAG_PRELOAD), TransTime(7));
			Animation.Add("ST_RUN",						ANIM_HERO_RUN_WITH_SWORD, Flags(ANIM_FLAG_PRELOAD), TransTime(7));
			Animation.Add("ST_SPRINT",					ANIM_HERO_SPRINT_WITH_SWORD_01, Flags(ANIM_FLAG_PRELOAD), TransTime(7));

Animation.Add("ST_SNEAK",	ANIM_HERO_SNEAK_WITH_SWORD, Flags(ANIM_FLAG_PRELOAD), TransTime(5));

Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_FRONT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_FRONT_RECOIL_1_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_FRONT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_FRONT_RECOIL_2_1);		
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_FRONT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_FRONT_RECOIL_3_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_LEFT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_LEFT_RECOIL_1_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_LEFT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_LEFT_RECOIL_2_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_RIGHT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_RIGHT_RECOIL_1_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_RIGHT_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_RIGHT_RECOIL_2_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_BACK_RESPONSE",		ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_BACK_RECOIL_1_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_START",				ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_FRONT_1_1);
			Animation.AddCombat("BLOCK_FINISH",				ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_FRONT_1_1);
			Animation.Add("BLOCK_IDLE", ANIM_HERO_BLOCK_FRONT_1_1, TransTime(1));

**snipped the end of that off**

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70196 is a reply to message #70153] Sun, 30 March 2014 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
Looked into this. Speccing the CAppearanceDef isn't doable in xml. Keshire and other dev types are already going to know this. This post is for people who might be wondering why the CAppearanceDef isn't editable within FableExplorer.

You'd need a language capable of case handling. Most unfortunate, but knowing how they pieced it all together does mean that editing the animations won't involve as much crossing of fingers as people will have a better understanding of what they're doing. Curious if Silverback's tool can benefit from the data though.

Edit: Nope. No external definitions like the def.xml.
It's those flags. You have cases 0-5, each with flags that determine how the rest of it is going to go. You could work up a very, very hackish way of working it but because those flags are the same number between cases but different data... For example, cases 2, 4 and 5 all have the 0 flag, but those 0 flags are all different (also, case 5 flag 0 is just crazy, it has it's own flag!). That would be hard to spec in any language, but xml just doesn't have the case handling needed to make it happen.
If all the cases and flags were different numbers and 4 bytes, you could set up controls in xml and set it up like a hacked together entry definition.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 March 2014 22:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Request - Separate controls for block/roll [message #70200 is a reply to message #70196] Mon, 31 March 2014 05:46 Go to previous message

Administrator
xxNick wrote on Sun, 30 March 2014 21:51

Looked into this. Speccing the CAppearanceDef isn't doable in xml. Keshire and other dev types are already going to know this. This post is for people who might be wondering why the CAppearanceDef isn't editable within FableExplorer.

You'd need a language capable of case handling. Most unfortunate, but knowing how they pieced it all together does mean that editing the animations won't involve as much crossing of fingers as people will have a better understanding of what they're doing. Curious if Silverback's tool can benefit from the data though.

Edit: Nope. No external definitions like the def.xml.
It's those flags. You have cases 0-5, each with flags that determine how the rest of it is going to go. You could work up a very, very hackish way of working it but because those flags are the same number between cases but different data... For example, cases 2, 4 and 5 all have the 0 flag, but those 0 flags are all different (also, case 5 flag 0 is just crazy, it has it's own flag!). That would be hard to spec in any language, but xml just doesn't have the case handling needed to make it happen.
If all the cases and flags were different numbers and 4 bytes, you could set up controls in xml and set it up like a hacked together entry definition.

Ya it's a pain. These were all the ones I've seen so far. And when I say optional, it's means those animations can contain some, or all of the listed arguments.
    <!-- CAppearanceDef -->
    <!-- I'm not sure this can be done via xml 

Animation.SetDefaultDelay(int)

Animation.Add(link, link)
    Animation.AddCombat(link, link)

//With optionals
    Animation.Add(link, link, Flags(bitwise??),TransTime(int), Delay(int))
    Animation.AddCombat(link, link, Combo(int, int), Handedness(link, link), Recoil(link), CombatMisc(bool, bool), TargetOffset(float, float), StrikeResponseAnim(link), NextAnimFilter(link));

Animation.StartGroup(link)
      // and any number of the Animation members
    Animation.EndGroup()
    -->

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 March 2014 05:47]

Report message to a moderator