Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Requests » BayStone's Lev tool
BayStone's Lev tool [message #70252] Sun, 06 April 2014 09:51 Go to next message
CultOfByron is currently offline  CultOfByron
I was just browsing the old fablemod.com site and this one on archive.org and stumbled upon this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060131012023/http://fabletlcmo d.com/?id=5

The fifth post down (by BayStone) is particularly interesting but I cannot find the download link in the archive or on the current site.

Does anyone have this Lev tool and if so would you be willing to re-upload it?

Much appreciation in advance Wink
Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70253 is a reply to message #70252] Sun, 06 April 2014 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Wasn't this grouped into Albion Explorer?

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70254 is a reply to message #70252] Sun, 06 April 2014 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
Yes, this is AlbionExplorer before it was called AlbionExplorer. Where Freeroam would blanket patch the levs to change all cells in the maps to be walkable and allow the camera to pass over, AlbionExplorer allows painting walkable/nonwalkable areas, for a more selective edit.

Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70255 is a reply to message #70252] Mon, 07 April 2014 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

This creates the walkarea bitmap integrated with the heightfield from LookoutPoint.lev.

"levmodder LookoutPoint.lev output.lev test.bmp w"

In my bleary-eyed post-nightshiftedness I may have misinterpreted the functionality of the lev tool.

I read it as being similar to the B&W Lnd tool whereby you can effectively "dump" the heightfield as a .bmp or .raw

Maybe there is a way to do this and I'm, in my inexperience, just not seeing it.
Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70256 is a reply to message #70252] Mon, 07 April 2014 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
I'm not sure either offhand. But it looks like that post may have gotten caught in a board purge.

I managed to find the abandoned file in the forums root though.

This may be an older version, the original post is linked to a file ID of 141.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071011133444/http://fabletlcmo d.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=214&start=0&
  • Attachment: 140.atch.zip
    (Size: 166.72KB, Downloaded 511 times)

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70257 is a reply to message #70256] Mon, 07 April 2014 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh, thank you!

I'll have a proper session with this at the weekend but from first looks this is exactly what I need.

:notworthy: Wink

Update:

The Levbmp tool:

On the whole it's been a great help - as before I only had the bmps generated by Albion Explorer as a reference, but these have proven to be problematic. Each bmp is rendered along the whole spectrum of black to white, whereas the bmps dumped by Levbmp are coherent along the whole height spectrum of Albion heightmaps.

Examples:

Heightmap in AE: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byronturrell/14110136933
Same Heightmap as a levbmp output: index.php?t=getfile&id=11554&private=0

Problems I've experienced due to the fact that this appears to be the early version:

Some .levs cause Levbmp to crash - particularly horizontally rectangular ones. The length and width of vertically rectangular heightmaps are switched so while some of it renders correctly, the bmp repeats the first part:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/byronturrell/14090107645/

So while I can use these as a definitive height reference to adjust the AE heightmaps, only the fully square ones are usable as-is. I guess this is nothing more sinister than levbmp calling the horizontal and vertical values in the .lev file in the wrong order.

If the most recent version of levbmp does materialise, that'd be great and would certainly correct for some of my more idiosyncratic adaptations of AE heightmaps.

However, as I've said elsewhere, it's been a great learning experience regarding heightmaps in general, as well as how the Fable levels were put together.

I now have a virtually complete Albion as a heightmap and am currently trying to integrate this into the map as seen in game.

I will probably focus on Witchwood Island since that's the most complete and least huge complete landmass in the game.

(Having problems embedding more than one image.)

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2014 10:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70364 is a reply to message #70257] Mon, 05 May 2014 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what I've done so far. (Apologies for double post but it's the only way I can upload a second file.)

If there's any interest I can upload the psd file with all the maps as separate layers, perhaps others will get better results but this is an early WIP.

The psd file is about 40mb as is so I'll probably have to upload elsewhere unless I can get that file size down!

Doesn't include Witchwood, Hook Coast or Northern Wastes yet.

Warning: Image below is 2000x2000!

[Updated on: Mon, 05 May 2014 06:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: BayStone's Lev tool [message #70365 is a reply to message #70364] Mon, 05 May 2014 08:12 Go to previous message
xxNick is currently offline  xxNick
Very cool. Very cool indeed.

CultOfByron wrote on Mon, 05 May 2014 08:43

The psd file is about 40mb as is so I'll probably have to upload elsewhere unless I can get that file size down!

7-zip. I always preferred it over rar and zip. Set to a high level of compression it should bring that filesize down drastically, definitely within the 20mb limit here.

Previous Topic: Gift of youth @ Avo's Temple
Next Topic: Lady Grey likes Evil Char's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:12:25 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01139 seconds