Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable Anniversary » Development » Tools » Fable Explorer Version Switcher
Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71487] Mon, 29 August 2016 14:38 Go to next message
lawofzero is currently offline  lawofzero
EDITED: I don't know what I was thinking with the messy tools that I uploaded, here is a much more simple approach.
- Put FEMan.bat into your Fable Explorer directory
- Edit your config.xml to have the Fable Explorer directory as your Fable directory
- Edit FEMan.bat with the paths to your games
- You will need to manage your own def.xml

Once you've followed these steps, running FEMan.bat does the following:
1.) Creates symlinks to the Fable TLC files needed in the FE folder
2.) Removes all symlinks
3.) Sets up FE to edit Fable TLC when you launch it
4.) Sets up FE to edit Fable Anniversary Chicken difficulty when you launch it
5.) Sets up FE to edit Fable Anniversary Heroic difficulty when you launch it

No files are moved or renamed, symlinks are used completely. TLC files are opened when you want to edit Anniversary, make sure you stick to editing the four anniversary bin files.
  • Attachment: FEMan.bat
    (Size: 3.06KB, Downloaded 778 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2016 04:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71491 is a reply to message #71487] Tue, 30 August 2016 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sparrow
Would you mind sharing the script? Your batch file fails the most basic security scans.

Are you shpongled?
Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71492 is a reply to message #71491] Tue, 30 August 2016 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's quite odd, here is the script:

Toggle Spoiler
Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71493 is a reply to message #71492] Tue, 30 August 2016 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sparrow
It's harmless. Good script. I'll try it soon. Thanks for this. I planned on creating similar scripts but it seemed like a complete waste of time. This forum doesn't get many visitors besides those pesky ad-bots, but great work!

Are you shpongled?

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2016 14:30]

Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71494 is a reply to message #71493] Tue, 30 August 2016 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a pity about the low activity but also understandable. The more I look at this Anniversary edition, the more it seems like the whole entire reason for it was to port it to an engine that can run on the Xbox. Absolutely nothing has changed, even things that I consider to bugs are all still in place, they 'ported' it to UE with the absolute minimal effort required. So I've been wondering if I should just work on that grand Fable TLC mod I've always wanted to work on instead, seeing as modding TLC is already easy and trouble free and it's the exact same game in basically every way. The 9gb 'modding DLC' doesn't seem worth it to me either but I'll have to get hold of it sooner or later.

There is potential too though, for example the difficulty selection between chicken and heroic could serve as a way to have a mod manager in game if I could find how to edit it. The layer of UE presents new opportunities that Fable TLC doesn't have, I think. Apologies for the essay, I can go on a bit.
Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71517 is a reply to message #71494] Wed, 07 September 2016 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sparrow
lawofzero wrote on Tue, 30 August 2016 17:52

The 9gb 'modding DLC' doesn't seem worth it to me either but I'll have to get hold of it sooner or later.

There is potential too though, for example the difficulty selection between chicken and heroic could serve as a way to have a mod manager in game if I could find how to edit it. The layer of UE presents new opportunities that Fable TLC doesn't have, I think. Apologies for the essay, I can go on a bit.

Do you have limited internet? Maybe consider starting the download and pausing and resume a little each month, lol. I don't know much about Unreal Engine but I wouldn't mind if you elaborated on the new opportunities it brings that FTLC lacks. Sharing information regarding the modding of FTLC and FA is much appreciated by me, if no one else.

Are you shpongled?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 17:44]

Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71520 is a reply to message #71487] Thu, 08 September 2016 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sparrow
I did everything correctly, yet when I launch FE, it loads the original Fable TLC files. The symlinks are installed and link to the correct directory. I just think FE isn't using them. Of course the script was ran in and the symlinks installed in the same directory as in the config.xml
Here's the application settings I have in my config.xml
config.xml

<FableExplorer>
<ApplicationSettings>
<UseRegistry>FALSE</UseRegistry>
<RegistryPath>SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft Games\\Fable\\1.0</RegistryPath>
<InstallDirectory>C:\Program Files\ShadowNet</InstallDirectory>
<InternalSplash>FALSE</InternalSplash>
<SplashFileName>Shadow Net.jpg</SplashFileName>
</ApplicationSettings>
</FableExplorer>

Currently, I have something in the works which utilizes this script. I'll share.
FEMan.bat

This is certainly not the final draft, but linked here is a setup I created using this script. I'd appreciate some testing.
It only uses "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fable Anniversary"
If your directory is different, you can't use this setup. Correct me if I'm wrong but symlinks could potentially be installed to these directories to link to your actual directory. A .bat should be included that achieves this. The modified script has been converted to .exe to require admin privileges to run.

Are you shpongled?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 18:37]

Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71521 is a reply to message #71487] Wed, 14 September 2016 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies for disappearing, will be away from my computer until early next month and I have been battling to log in from my phone because of the malware/phishing warning (I've actually downloaded another, less secure browser specially for this now). The script was working fine for me, I've been going through every single entry in tlc and anniversary so that I can document every error that still exists in the def.xml for all versions and perhaps work on an unofficial anniversary patch for TLC. But if the issue is permissions, go ahead and do what is necessary for it to work correctly.

I also managed to find not so legal (and far more convenient) means of getting hold of the modding DLC so that is covered now too. I suspect that most of the content from that DLC is already in our game files in compressed form so I also hope to come up with a script that will allow people to get the modding stuff without the 9gb download.

I wish I could dedicate time to this and stick to it but life isn't so simple at the moment. When I am back home and at my PC I will jump straight back into this.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2016 04:46]

Re: Fable Explorer Version Switcher [message #71524 is a reply to message #71521] Thu, 15 September 2016 03:05 Go to previous message
Sparrow
Well I couldn't figure out why FE wasn't using my specified directory in config.xml so I said fuck this shit and installed the symlinks to the default Fable TLC directory. I just posted my edited version of your FE Version Switcher. I would appreciate it if you would check it out next month or whenever you get the chance. & Sounds like a lot of work. I haven't been able to get the modding DLC. Would be cool if I could utilize those tools. But good luck with the def.xml.

Are you shpongled?
Previous Topic: Fable Anniversary Mod Enabler
Next Topic: CBox World Editor Working on Fable Anniversary!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:23:26 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01440 seconds