Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » .X file format?
.X file format? [message #13812] Thu, 26 October 2006 14:31 Go to next message
Grunge is currently offline  Grunge
Just as a quick question, does anyone know of a plugin for 3DS Max 8 that supports import/export of .x file format?

Thanks in advance!

Current Projects:
Learning to do anything of use within Fable TLC
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #13814 is a reply to message #13812] Thu, 26 October 2006 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
Panda Direct X Export Plugin

Xporter v1.19 (Import/Export)

Both taken from Max Plugins

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.
Re: .X file format? [message #13869 is a reply to message #13814] Fri, 27 October 2006 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan, I owe you my soul on a silver platter for this. Thank you, it's greatly appreciated!

With any luck, I could be making some contributions to this site in some time.

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #13882 is a reply to message #13869] Fri, 27 October 2006 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augmented-Pickaxe is currently offline  Augmented-Pickaxe
I recommend exporting with Panda. Less problems.

Current Projects:
- Fable: A Hero's Journey
- A Kind of Evil: A true Fable
Re: .X file format? [message #13890 is a reply to message #13882] Sat, 28 October 2006 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Import with Xporter, Export with Panda. Got it. Smile

However, when I go to make a new entry in game.bin, it asks for a Data File, but doesn't sepcify a file type. I'm guessing it needs a .txt file written in Hex?

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #13900 is a reply to message #13890] Sat, 28 October 2006 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uhhh... Are you trying to import the mesh into Game.bin? If so, you are putting it in the wrong place. It needs to be in GRAPHICS.BIG> MBANK_ALL_MESH.

If you want to make a .bin entry, right click on the 'game.bin' and press new entry. Give it a type of 'OBJECT' then export header and sub-header data from another object into a txt file and then import into new entry.

Then modify it to suit.

Current Projects:

[Updated on: Sat, 28 October 2006 19:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .X file format? [message #13908 is a reply to message #13900] Sun, 29 October 2006 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not as stupid as I look. Razz

I've not tried importing the mesh yet, it was the header/sub header data it was asking for, and I didn't have a file to give it. I was creating the new entry in the game.bin, under OBJECT and then giving it the name (OBJECT_SABRE in this case).

Your help is greatly appreciated, Pickaxe, with any luck, you'll see that Sabre as a new weapon in a while.

EDIT: I'm having a little trouble getting the mesh in without having to replace something else... Or will I have to replace a mesh?

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)

[Updated on: Sun, 29 October 2006 05:24]

Re: .X file format? [message #13914 is a reply to message #13908] Sun, 29 October 2006 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chaos is currently offline  chaos
You have to use the subheader and entrydata of another weapon.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/korgoth-of-barbaria/chaos-1.jpg
Re: .X file format? [message #13917 is a reply to message #13914] Sun, 29 October 2006 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good news! I got it to spawn in game. Spawned it in the Guild Demon Door chest. However, there is one problem.

I have no idea how to texture the thing. Due to this, the model is invisible, only the lightning showing. Also, I think the hilt may not be held in his hand, just near it. I'm not sure yet, though.

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)

[Updated on: Sun, 29 October 2006 14:03]

Re: .X file format? [message #13944 is a reply to message #13917] Mon, 30 October 2006 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, what you need to do it use the UVW Unwrap modifier in 3DS MAX. Click on the model and scroll down the modifiers list till you find it. You will then have the option of using several types of mapping. I myself usually use pelt mapping. You can find tutorials on how to do this via tutorialized.com or a simple google search. Good luck.

PS. Don't forget to move the weapons helpers to suit the length and pivot of the weapon!

Current Projects:
Re: .X file format? [message #13945 is a reply to message #13944] Mon, 30 October 2006 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, thanks again Pickaxe. I've got the helpers in the right place (sort of), but it's difficult when I can't see anything but the Lightning Augment. Very Happy

I had some fun with the helpers at first, especially when the effect appeared on the Hero's arm. Well, with any luck, I'll get this texturing done, and you'll see a Sabre here in a while. Thanks again!

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #13946 is a reply to message #13945] Mon, 30 October 2006 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't get the UV's happening, then send the mesh (in MAX format) via a personal message and I'll do a slap-dash job of it... Probably wouldnt get round to doing it until early next week though.

Current Projects:
Re: .X file format? [message #13947 is a reply to message #13946] Mon, 30 October 2006 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's an exceedingly generous offer, Pickaxe, and it's greatly appreciated. I'll just slap down an all black texture, just to get it in game, do the tweaking of helpers, etc, then texture it for real.

Once again, thank you Pickaxe. Smile

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #13962 is a reply to message #13812] Wed, 01 November 2006 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demontamer069 is currently offline  demontamer069

Hey does anyone have a .x import/exporter for 3D Studio Max 9? So far I have only been able to find them for 8 and lower so I think I am kinda stuck. Anyone out there have a solution for this?
Re: .X file format? [message #13963 is a reply to message #13962] Wed, 01 November 2006 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could try and use the ones for 3DS 8, but I'm not sure about compatability and such. It may work, but there may be some bugs in it. Then again, it may not work at all. It's worth a shot, at least.

EDIT: Just thought I'd let you see how my Sabre is coming along. Got the UV mapping basics done, just got to put some detail, slap the texture into textures.big, and save it as a mod Smile

Ok, having severe problems getting the texture to work. I can't link it to the mesh, for some reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/GrungePiper/SabreSimple.png

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)

[Updated on: Wed, 01 November 2006 16:49]

Re: .X file format? [message #14160 is a reply to message #13963] Mon, 06 November 2006 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcopolo is currently offline  Marcopolo

that's a pretty good mesh, it's look better if you did a bumpmap too though

There once was a member of this land,
a humorous posting he planned,
but when he posted,
by mods he was toasted,
and now he has found himself banned.
Re: .X file format? [message #14165 is a reply to message #14160] Mon, 06 November 2006 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couldn't be bothered. It was just to try and get it in the game. But now I can't seem to link the texture... Odd. I'll keep trying.

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #14172 is a reply to message #14165] Tue, 07 November 2006 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure about the geometry of that model.. Might kick back an error when you try to wield it... To make a texture, create a new entry in TEXTURES.BIG>MAIN, then export header and sub-header data from another and then import it into the new entry.

Clcik open new and import new texture - Remember that the resolutioin must not excede 512x512px.

Go into the mesh entry, click the textures tab and put in the new texture ID, name, etc.

Current Projects:
Re: .X file format? [message #14180 is a reply to message #14172] Wed, 08 November 2006 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's the last bit I'm having trouble with. The texture won't link. The model is fine, albiet invisible ingame due to no texture, the texture is exactly 512x512, which is what is needed.
But, whenever I do try to link the texture, and click the "Apply Changes" button and close the window, it resets back to the default Base Texture ID of 0.

Current Projects:
New Weapon (Sabre)
Re: .X file format? [message #14216 is a reply to message #14180] Thu, 09 November 2006 18:13 Go to previous message
Click the bottom 'Apply Changes' button first, then the top one second.

Current Projects:
Previous Topic: Question about getting custom things
Next Topic: Biz to Big with Fable Tools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:28:39 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01342 seconds