Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » Fable Weapon Revamping
icon5.gif  Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 05:24 Go to next message
Gllen Nadix is currently offline  Gllen Nadix
Hello, I'm new to the Fable modding scene, but I have a fair bit of previous experience modding other games, and one thing I have done for almost every game I have modded is revamp the entire setup of the weapons. And I mean ALL of the weapons, every last one that comes in the game. I wish to do this for Fable:TLC as well.

However, I do not know what tools I will need in order to accomplish this.

I know I'll need Fable Explorer, and FreeRoam to relocate/place some of the weapons where I choose. And of course an image editing program to skin them. But besides that I don't know what I'll need.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to getting involved with the Fable modding community.

Most people fear death, but not I.
No, what I fear most is living forever.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16090 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Photoshop for textures. Modelling program (with .x import/export) for models.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16091 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kain is currently offline  Kain

hi!
one question before i answer:
do you want to make new textures or new weapons??
because if you want to make new weapons, you will need to make new models and and new textures.

if you "only" want to retexture the weapons, you have to download the FE, go to textures, search the weapons (i think they are more or less at the bottom) then open one of them with a doubleclick and then "save as". now you have the texture, edit it and then go to the texture in the FE, click "load" or sth. like this and open your edited texture. save it and its nearly finished. you have to make the "1" in alpha to "0".
i know, bad explanation, but i hope you will understand^^

btw: my assasin armour is updated.

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16094 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to make new weapons, not just textures, and I have photoshop, so that works out well for the textures.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16095 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
You will need 3Ds Max or similar to make new weapon models. There are import plugins available in the wiki.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16098 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, is that program free? Or inexpensive?
I don't have the money to blow on modding right now.
If it is free or cheap, where might I be able to get it?

Thanks again for all the help.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16100 is a reply to message #16098] Tue, 23 January 2007 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

You can get a 30-day trial, after that you'll have to sell your car (or something else) to get it since it's very expensive.

There is however a free modelling program called blender: http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

Don't know if there's an .x file importer/exporter though.
You'll need it for the models to import them into FE.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 January 2007 06:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16102 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you have said that you allready modded for some games...
which programmes have you used?

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16103 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 23 January 2007 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mostly just the Game-Specific unpackers, photoshop, notepad and various user-developed utilities. And my trusty Norton Ghost, for when I mess with things I shouldn't have messed with.

The 2-lb sledgehammer has come out quite a few times, and I actually shot my computer once after it literally burst into flames and crashed in horrible wailing screeches and became a new paperweight, but I'm not sure that large dents or bullet holes quite qualify as "development".

BTW, are there any tutorials on what files I'll have to mess with in FE, like where the models and textures are located, cause I tried doing a search and I always got either no results or too many to possibly sort through.

Thanks once more to all you guys and/or girls (and/or genderless sentient lifeforms) who have taken the time to help me get started on this project.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16104 is a reply to message #16103] Tue, 23 January 2007 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Gllen Nadix wrote on Tue, 23 January 2007 16:19

Mostly just the Game-Specific unpackers, photoshop, notepad and various user-developed utilities. And my trusty Norton Ghost, for when I mess with things I shouldn't have messed with.

The 2-lb sledgehammer has come out quite a few times, and I actually shot my computer once after it literally burst into flames and crashed in horrible wailing screeches and became a new paperweight, but I'm not sure that large dents or bullet holes quite qualify as "development".

BTW, are there any tutorials on what files I'll have to mess with in FE, like where the models and textures are located, cause I tried doing a search and I always got either no results or too many to possibly sort through.

Thanks once more to all you guys and/or girls (and/or genderless sentient lifeforms) who have taken the time to help me get started on this project.

Models are located in the graphics.big,
textures in the (surprise surprise!) textures.big,
effects in the effects.big,
text in the text.big...

But you can find everything in FableExplorer via the game.bin file the easiest way.
Just find the object you want to edit in the OBJECT list (weapons are somewhere at the end), and from there just follow the links...

Heres a .x file exporter for blender if you (or anyone else) plan to use it: http://projects.blender.org/projects/directxexporter/

this is not an exit.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16134 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 24 January 2007 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info, OldBoy, but one more question...

Is there a .x importer for blender?
If so, that would really make this a lot easier, just to be able to take models from the game and use them as bases to work from.

Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16135 is a reply to message #16134] Wed, 24 January 2007 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

I've done some searching, but no results so far.
Also I've posted the question on blender's support forum.

So if there's any news, you'll be the first to know.

this is not an exit.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16136 is a reply to message #16135] Wed, 24 January 2007 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much, OldBoy, glad to hear I'm not just being a nuisance. Very Happy

OH! IDEA Idea Is there a way to convert files from .x to another format, such as any format blender uses? Or could somebody with 3D Max Import a .x file and save it as a format blender can open? Because I know I've seen an importer for 3D Max somewhere on this site...

Anyways, thanks again and thank you to anyone with 3D Max who would be willing to do that for me

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2007 06:12]

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16137 is a reply to message #16136] Wed, 24 January 2007 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

There's another freeware 3d editing app called DeleD.
There are .x importers and exporters available for the app.

DeleD:
Overview.
Download
importers and exporters

Never used it so can't help you on how-to's.

this is not an exit.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16139 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 24 January 2007 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy, you are my personal Fable Modding Jesus! Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help you've given me.

BTW, check out the Smithing Skill Idea I came up with and tell me what you think:

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1807& ;start=0&

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16144 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 24 January 2007 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

can you post some screens of the work you have done for other games?
thaanks

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16147 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 24 January 2007 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I could. But will I? Probably not. Simply because I don't want to have to sort through all the many different mods, or switch around those that I left modded, or try and find them on my old hard drive, or search through the abyssal pit that my current hard drive has become. I may post some eventually, but not right now.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16149 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 24 January 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hm, ok, then i will just wait for your first fable weapon.

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16151 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 24 January 2007 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That will not be a long wait, the Smithing Skill is going to include my weapon Revamp, and I should be able to get them out moderately soon. Depending on how difficult this will actually be.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16189 is a reply to message #16134] Fri, 26 January 2007 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Gllen Nadix wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 14:11

Thanks for the info, OldBoy, but one more question...

Is there a .x importer for blender?
If so, that would really make this a lot easier, just to be able to take models from the game and use them as bases to work from.

Thanks again for all your help.

Just found out:

Blender can import .x file by default (at least build 2.42 can).

In Blender you go -file- -import- -direct x-

this is not an exit.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16190 is a reply to message #16087] Fri, 26 January 2007 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, thanks again OldBoy!

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16193 is a reply to message #16087] Fri, 26 January 2007 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

have you allready begun with your work?

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16195 is a reply to message #16087] Fri, 26 January 2007 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I just set up the doors on the forge and workbench.

Haven't made the areas yet, but my latest model for how it would work should be functional.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16285 is a reply to message #16087] Mon, 29 January 2007 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
I wouldn't bother making models that need clipping. Physics model's aren't supported yet. This also includes buildings.

That's why weapons and clothing are the models of choice.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16291 is a reply to message #16285] Mon, 29 January 2007 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlueTooth wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 16:07

I wouldn't bother making models that need clipping. Physics model's aren't supported yet. This also includes buildings.

That's why weapons and clothing are the models of choice.

I don't understand what that means. I'm not making new models for anything, other than the weapons. I'm just applying scripts to already existing items that are in the game. Well, theoretically. I can't seem to get the teleport working right and apparently there is no way to get the actual smithing working as I intended, at least not until you gods of fable modding figure out how to activate cutscenes anywhere, and relay that information to us (us being the community at large.)

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16296 is a reply to message #16195] Mon, 29 January 2007 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
Gllen Nadix wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 17:44

I just set up the doors on the forge and workbench.

Misunderstanding on my part.

You'll have to be specific on the teleport issue.

There is no way to currently trigger 'new' cutscenes.
You can use the existing triggers to hi-jack a useless cutscene. Such as the Bowerstone Town intro.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16301 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 30 January 2007 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So could I just have it run a cutscene that already exists, but modify what that cutscene does?

Also, another question...
Where the *expletive deleted at request of mother* are the stupid textures for the weapons? I looked in textures.big but there were many that weren't there. Is there a way to access them through game.bin, and if so, how!? Sorry, I'm just a little frustrated over this.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2007 07:17]

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16321 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 31 January 2007 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
If you find the OBJECT_ entry for the weapon you should be able to find the texture from there.

I can't remember if there is a specific texture link in there but if there isn't you can find the texture id used by opening the model link in the OBJECT entry and then finding the ID on one of the tabs there.

Hope that helps.

But what we put there.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16322 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 31 January 2007 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the input Satan Twisted Evil .

I just figured it out by making a previously requested mod (Whisper Brooch Mask) and I got it working.

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16340 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 31 January 2007 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
Ya. Follow the object to the model, the model itself has a materials tab on it with the texture file id.

Not many people know this. But the "view data" button has a box that you can use to look up files by using the file id.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16343 is a reply to message #16087] Thu, 01 February 2007 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

will you release this mod seperated from the "smithing" mod?

and when do you think will there be the first results of your work / screenshots?

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16348 is a reply to message #16087] Thu, 01 February 2007 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right now I'm working on making a realistic looking Katana. I want to base it on LastSlash's work. But nobody will convert it to .x for me, and I can't open .max files. Oh well.

I might also make the greatsword more like a real two-handed sword, and give it an actual point, It will be similar to the bastard sword in the GWP, only not quite as high-quality since ailia is obviously a much better modeler and photoshopitizer than I am. Most of my mods for other games were primarily scripting, not modeling. But I'm learning.

Additionally, I'm going to try and make it so that you need a certain level of physique to use certain weapons based on their weight and damage lvl. And the same with bows and your Accuracy.

And the list goes on... I'm going to rework the Augmentations to make them more useful for their situation, but make the weapon less effective for other purposes. Flame/Lightning increases damage against Flame/Lightning-vulnerables but decreases damage angainst anyone else. Mana/Health/Experience would decrease damage against all enemies but also work better for gaining Mana/Health/Experience. This would coincide with the addition of many more types of augments and the removal of some others.

Along the same lines, weapons would be more flexible in what they could do (That is, weapons would have more augmentation slots.)

Another idea I had is a mod where every weapon is a legendary weapon. You would start of with the stick, and not ever get an Iron Longsword like you usually do. However, there would be many more legenedaries, and they would each have interesting histories and abilities.

Please comment on these ideas, I'd like to know which ones people would like to see, and if any are beyond the reach what the modding community can do--such as the physique/accuracy requirements--I'd like to be informed of such.

And to answer your questions, Kain, I'll be doing this separate, but will merge them when they are both done (you'll be able to get them both separate, but will also be able to get them as one, eventually). And I'll post a beta as soon as I finish my first few things (Weapons and Augments). I'll post screenshots as soon as I get anything actually done (probably the new and altered augments). BTW, the Smithing mod is on hold until the devs figure out how to edit and start scripts on command, as that is the only way to get it working as I intended, and the only realisitic alternative would be easy to use as a cheat for the game by means of smithing infinite weapons and selling them (Fable won't take away the items needed if its not in a cutscene).

[Updated on: Thu, 01 February 2007 09:15]

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16360 is a reply to message #16087] Thu, 01 February 2007 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the thing with the Augmentations sounds really nice! and good.
im looking forward to you mod.

the only legendary weapons mod, i think it would be fun, but it would be a lot of work i think.

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16364 is a reply to message #16087] Thu, 01 February 2007 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK then, thanks for the feedback. Just so everyone knows, I've taken the model from LastSlash's Katana (downloaded 3DS Max trial for just that purpose) and have mapped it and gotten it in game, along with my nice bright red, blue, green and yellow texure for it.

I've also remodeled the Greatsword, now it does not seem like a club as much or more than the Greatmace, and it actually has a pointy tip now.

But, I have a question for those with more knowledge than I on these matters. How do I add Helpers to the model of the LastSlash Katana? And they are called Helpers, aren't they? You know, the things that make the hero hold the sword right, because right now he's holding it around the guard and its blade is facing towards the hero's left side.

After this I'll post screenies of the Katana (Once I texture it) and the new Greatsword design (As soon as I get the time to screeny it).

[Updated on: Thu, 01 February 2007 16:01]

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16635 is a reply to message #16087] Tue, 13 February 2007 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

how is your work going on?

my life is hard:

Im German.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16654 is a reply to message #16087] Wed, 14 February 2007 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
What you usually do is export an existing weapon model, delete the mesh and keep the helpers.

Then when you import or create your new mesh the helpers are available and just need relocating.

But what we put there.
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16690 is a reply to message #16654] Sun, 18 February 2007 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solus is currently offline  Solus
i hope when ur mod is done u could release it to the public(i hope its not a huge file) Smile Rolling Eyes Very Happy

______________/___ _
/ ______________/ (_)
/ /__/
/___/

[Updated on: Sun, 25 February 2007 21:39] by Moderator

Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16695 is a reply to message #16690] Sun, 18 February 2007 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chaos is currently offline  chaos
Harbringer is the most interesting.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/korgoth-of-barbaria/chaos-1.jpg
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16700 is a reply to message #16087] Mon, 19 February 2007 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Hammerhoof is currently offline  Grant Hammerhoof

Aye; I agree.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/grant_hammerhoof/Grant_BuffBull_WesternSignature.png
Re: Fable Weapon Revamping [message #16818 is a reply to message #16087] Sat, 24 February 2007 03:26 Go to previous message

just wanted to know if you are still working on this mod?

my life is hard:

Im German.
Previous Topic: Model Switching
Next Topic: modding help plzz hurry
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:56:37 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01541 seconds