Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » Need help with FE: beta 4. I swear I looked first!
icon5.gif  Need help with FE: beta 4. I swear I looked first! [message #18013] Wed, 11 April 2007 23:02 Go to next message
Wyldfire is currently offline  Wyldfire
Okay, I played Fable: TLC through a long time ago and I had some fun doing a few basic mods (add a chest here, change the way a statue's facing there, etc). I recently decided to start playing the game again and wanted to try adding a few custom items and editing the stats on a few existing ones I really like the looks of so they perform better, but I had deleted Fable Explorer while I was cleaning up a big swathe of disk space a while ago.

That being said, I can't get the newest version to work. Satan's installer gives me an error saying "FableExplorer.exe has encountered an error..." when I try to launch, even after updating the def file from the .zip while the raw .zip file download run from a folder on my desktop gives me the following error:

System.NullReferenceException

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I've read the forums and I can't seem to find a relevant answer to the situation. I've already reinstalled the latest DirX and .Net packages, and I'm using the PC version of Fable (duh, but I wanted to be explicit). The only thing I could think might be a problem is that Fable is installed to a drive other than C:, but that wasn't an issue with the previous version. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling FE (and AE, which is giving me similar problems), and I have no clue.

I'm going to try completely removing .Net 2.0 and reinstalling it instead of just running a 'repair' option after posting this, but could you please post ideas under the assumption that that won't work?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Update! [message #18112 is a reply to message #18013] Fri, 13 April 2007 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling .Net Framework and it still isn't working. I'd really appreciate a response to this, even if it's someone saying they have no clue what's going on or for me to sod off or something, 'cause it feels like this place is a ghost town when it comes to FE problems.
Re: Update! [message #18113 is a reply to message #18112] Fri, 13 April 2007 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andymac525 is currently offline  andymac525
i'm not completely sure but i don't think u can have both at the same time. i use only fable explorer and i didn't have any problems getting it installed.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/andymac525/thGandalf.gif
Re: Update! [message #18120 is a reply to message #18113] Sat, 14 April 2007 01:16 Go to previous message
andymac525 wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 19:54

i'm not completely sure but i don't think u can have both at the same time. i use only fable explorer and i didn't have any problems getting it installed.

Tried uninstalling one and then the other. Still nothing. Arugh. I tried the .Net 2.0 thing again out of desperation and noticed something I missed before in my sugar-deprived haze. It was actually saying that it couldn't uninstall the Framework because it might make other programs stop working. Any idea on how to find out which ones that would be so I can PROPERLY do a remove/reinstall?

EDIT: Okay, I feel stupid. Very, very stupid. I'd totally missed a post by Hunter in the Beta 3 thread talking about having a registry key needing to be set to the game's install directory, and that's what was giving me the error. Future seekers, look here: http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=750 &goto=7097#msg_10105

Be sure not to put the actual 'Fable.exe' or any " marks in the path, and to add the final / on the directory, or you'll get more errors.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 April 2007 21:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: slight problem....
Next Topic: I can't use fable explorer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:15:48 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01351 seconds