Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK
icon13.gif  compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24723] Mon, 20 August 2007 21:00 Go to next message
joelsmith is currently offline  joelsmith
Can anybody please help me? I was trying to put a new copy of game.bin into the compileddefs directory and stupid, stupid Windows Vista 'Helped' me with a mere brush of the mouse by automatically copying "game.bin" over all 5 of the files in the directory.

I was just renaming it, and the files are still there, but they all are now game(1).bin, game(2).bin, game(3).bin, etc.

If anyone can just list the contents of the directory, or know where I can find the names of these 5 files, I can rename them back. I can't get to the original data on the disk without reloading Fable..........thanks if anyone is out there.

Embarassed

Embarassed Shocked Twisted Evil Confused Shocked
Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24728 is a reply to message #24723] Mon, 20 August 2007 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean_s is currently offline  Sean_s
frontend.bin 69kb

game.bin Veritable size, though larger then 974 and normally less then a mega bit

names.bin around 388kb or a little more

script.bin normally 151kb

One more reason for me not to get Vista Razz.

New? Or looking for information? Look here before posting.
Help the community by adding this to your sig!

Assistant for Conquest
By the way, call me Searyan
Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24730 is a reply to message #24723] Mon, 20 August 2007 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks you're a life-saver! Cool

It's bloody murder renaming files in Vista. For some reason you can't hi-lite the filenames, at least on my version.....I ended up renaming everything several times over before I got it right.

Vista- like renting an Iraqi oil tanker to get to the corner drug store.

I have been trying to do the "easy old age removal" mod using the Fable Explorer.

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1372& ;amp ;start=0&

Because I'll have enough fun watching my own body age in the mirror........no need to have to watch my cyberhero go down the hill too.
Unfortunately the 'easy picture examples' are unloadable. When I delete the arrays Fable just won't load at all. Still have to figure out exactly how that is done........

[Updated on: Mon, 20 August 2007 22:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24734 is a reply to message #24723] Tue, 21 August 2007 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
If you use Vista badly then that will happen, the same renaming convention was used in XP. I've been using Vista for quite a while now and have never had an problems.

More often than not an error like that is pure PEBCAK

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.
Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24737 is a reply to message #24723] Tue, 21 August 2007 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still don't want vista (although I still wish they would have mailed it to me like they were suppose to!) Really all I've heard is bad rep from it, and XP is more program friendly.

Assistant for Conquest
Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24739 is a reply to message #24723] Tue, 21 August 2007 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
Most complaints about Vista were said of XP when it was new. Compatibility with old programs is always an issue with a new OS. You can't expect all old apps to work with new software.

But what we put there.
Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24740 is a reply to message #24723] Tue, 21 August 2007 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess, not much I can do though, Dell never sent me the copy that was suppose to come with my computer...

Assistant for Conquest
Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24758 is a reply to message #24723] Tue, 21 August 2007 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm an old school computer guy, been a computer support tech for decades.
I don't like top heavy OSs that help you along with everything especially with wild mouse clicks. In this case just moving the arrow over the files can hilite them all accidentally and somewhere in between the endless barrage of security popups, it applies rename to all.
Whatever happened to good old fashioned "rename" on a command line, and enter? I though that was easy enough.

I think Windows isn't needed at all to list and run stuff on your computer, probably the last person on earth that still thinks that.
Oh well.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 August 2007 08:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: compileddefs directory VISTA ATTACK [message #24777 is a reply to message #24723] Tue, 21 August 2007 15:18 Go to previous message
Satan

Administrator
Moving the arrow does not select anything. Clicking on an item selects and click & drag selects multiple items, this is the same as xp and indeed most os software.

But what we put there.
Previous Topic: old effect with new sound?
Next Topic: Easy Age removal "wrinkle"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:29:04 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01134 seconds