Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » Fable Multiplayer
Fable Multiplayer [message #27791] Wed, 19 September 2007 05:46 Go to next message
allong is currently offline  allong
Now, as this is my first post please don't think I'm just an illiterate noob that would say "zomgz somone mack febel online!".

Now, I am aware that there was a thread (/Topic, whatever you call it) about if a multiplayer Fable was possible and some of you said no, well I am here with evidence of a multiplayer possibility.

GTA: San Andreas was mentioned in that topic and that's part of my evidence, GTA:SA was made single player and stayed like that until my good friends "kyeman" and "littlewhitey" discovered a way of de-compiling the GTA:SA files and inserting Winsoc dll's into the coding. Now, a quick explanation on the Soc.dll... It is a dll originally called "Simple Online Communication" that allows for online communication. Now, with that dll in hand and some basic coding inside the game files, it will provide the possibility to play Fable over a network whether it be WAN or LAN.

Please discuss...

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 September 2007 06:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #27834 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 19 September 2007 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HodgePodge is currently offline  HodgePodge
allong wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 07:46

Now, as this is my first post please don't think I'm just an illiterate noob that would say "zomgz somone mack febel online!".

Now, I am aware that there was a thread (/Topic, whatever you call it) about if a multiplayer Fable was possible and some of you said no, well I am here with evidence of a multiplayer possibility.

GTA: San Andreas was mentioned in that topic and that's part of my evidence, GTA:SA was made single player and stayed like that until my good friends "kyeman" and "littlewhitey" discovered a way of de-compiling the GTA:SA files and inserting Winsoc dll's into the coding. Now, a quick explanation on the Soc.dll... It is a dll originally called "Simple Online Communication" that allows for online communication. Now, with that dll in hand and some basic coding inside the game files, it will provide the possibility to play Fable over a network whether it be WAN or LAN.

Please discuss...

I'm sorry, but it won't work. What we do now is not nearly advanced enough to do what you're talking about, and we'd have to crack the exe to do it. And even after the exe is cracked, apps have to be developed to deal with altering it. So, in short, no.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x50/HawjPawj/PONG.gif
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #27963 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 19 September 2007 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
ShadowX630 wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 16:50

Crying or Very Sad Please.... for the love of God.... someone lock this! Crying or Very Sad

Or I can simply remove all the stupid bickering from this thread.

allong

Please discuss...

BlueTooth wrote on Tue, 31 July 2007 23:00

You can wish as much as you want. The reality is that there is no one in this community talented enough to do anything useful with the exe. Those that are talented don't have enough interest. And those with interest soon find out the reality that the exe is a mess of code.

With that said. If you happen to have assembly knowledge or know someone that does feel free to jump onto

irc.dynastynet.net/#fable
key:damnbots

And we can discuss some things.

sub_C05FD0 - zlib crc32 function
sub_CBFB7D - main scripts.bin script parser/engine (over 80kb of code in a SINGLE function...)
sub_CD52D0 - compiled script registering process( best place to add our own stuff into)

sub_5D1FC - hero stats function PC (maybe)
sub_5CE0E6 - hero stats display UI (maybe)
sub_409730 - Enum profile and game save files
sub_99AD80 - open file handler
sub_99A6A0 - open file
sub_4A21F0 - fablesav parser/loader
sub_40D350 - main profile loader, calls below
sub_40BCA0 - profile parser
sub_9F1D20 - boot.ini loader

We've also gone through a bunch of the quest code already and identified the base routines they use.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #27970 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 19 September 2007 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice. But as far as this might go, I may need to get approval from Lionhead Studios or something.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #27973 is a reply to message #27970] Thu, 20 September 2007 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
allong wrote on Thu, 20 September 2007 01:08

Very nice. But as far as this might go, I may need to get approval from Lionhead Studios or something.

All the original people involved have since been shifted around. I originally talked with Simon Carter, head developer, about it. He gave the ok to change things to our hearts content. But after being absorbed into Microsoft they cut off contact with the modding community. I'm sure this was due to our affiliations with xbox hacking.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #28655 is a reply to message #27791] Mon, 24 September 2007 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've thought of another way to do it, very similar to the way SA:MP does it. Have a program initiate a connection to a server that is selected, download the server details to a cache (Spawn position, account data) use memory addresses to set X,Y,Z and Map data.

And if possible inject code of creating NPC's that represent a dummy of another player and then receive packets from the server that will make certain NPC id's move in synchronization with the player it represents.

And I also have a question, is it possible to actually inject Fable code into the game and make the code run real-time? Confused

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #28657 is a reply to message #28655] Mon, 24 September 2007 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
allong wrote on Mon, 24 September 2007 03:25

I've thought of another way to do it, very similar to the way SA:MP does it. Have a program initiate a connection to a server that is selected, download the server details to a cache (Spawn position, account data) use memory addresses to set X,Y,Z and Map data.

And if possible inject code of creating NPC's that represent a dummy of another player and then receive packets from the server that will make certain NPC id's move in synchronization with the player it represents.

And I also have a question, is it possible to actually inject Fable code into the game and make the code run real-time? Confused

When I talked to the SA:MP guys this is what they relayed to me a while ago.

Kye Bitossi

You want to know how to instance characters/actors,
how the game moves them, how the game applies animations etc.

The most basic syncing can be done by finding the position vectors
and syncing them across the network. You'll need ways
to disable in single player logic such as the generation of some
entities etc.

As for running fable code in real-time. I don't know. But Silver might.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #28680 is a reply to message #27791] Mon, 24 September 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
allong wrote on Mon, 24 September 2007 03:25

is it possible to actually inject Fable code into the game and make the code run real-time? Confused

Possibly I would think. But given how the game is already I have to think that it would get messy very quickly.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #29453 is a reply to message #28680] Wed, 26 September 2007 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan wrote on Tue, 25 September 2007 01:35

Possibly I would think. But given how the game is already I have to think that it would get messy very quickly.

So theres a possibilty of injecting code ?

How would that be done though, memory/address editing or some sort of internal code rewriting? Because if this were to be possible externally, you could just simply inject position codes for the player and NPC's... Right?

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30159 is a reply to message #27791] Sun, 30 September 2007 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sniperdesign
you want to do that? learn C++ fast but still i have tried to crack the exe and got no-where so far with it.

\"Wednesday we sacrifice virgin chickens and take their blood,
Thursday we annoint ourselves with said blood,
Friday is poker night.\" : overheard from a shadow-worshiper
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30167 is a reply to message #29453] Sun, 30 September 2007 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have? Please do share your methods Smile

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30168 is a reply to message #27791] Sun, 30 September 2007 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sniperdesign
like i said i tryed but no dice i couldn't be bothered the second time because it was 100% failure

\"Wednesday we sacrifice virgin chickens and take their blood,
Thursday we annoint ourselves with said blood,
Friday is poker night.\" : overheard from a shadow-worshiper
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30426 is a reply to message #27791] Tue, 02 October 2007 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chaos is currently offline  chaos
Busting the exe is more important because we can mess with quests and spells.

I'd personally like to put the kraken in hook coast Rolling Eyes

If we had multiplayer it should be very limited(ex: fight along side or against another player in the arena)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/korgoth-of-barbaria/chaos-1.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 02 October 2007 20:11]

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30478 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 03 October 2007 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

I agree, right now fable is too easy, multiplayer wouldn't be very fun, I would much rather change the UI of the game then have an all out dual with my friend. (although both is nice Rolling Eyes )

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30483 is a reply to message #30478] Wed, 03 October 2007 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
morerunes wrote on Wed, 03 October 2007 06:24

I agree, right now fable is too easy, multiplayer wouldn't be very fun, I would much rather change the UI of the game then have an all out dual with my friend. (although both is nice Rolling Eyes )

Quit complaining and have at it then.

frontend.bin->
game.bin->UI

There should only be a few entries that are borked and unusable.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30485 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 03 October 2007 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, i'm getting replies by the second...

To deal with people editing the game files then we could just export some of the original files and save as a backup FMP and then download another FMP from the server.

@Chaos:
Thats a very nice idea, arena PvPing Very Happy

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30489 is a reply to message #30485] Wed, 03 October 2007 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
allong wrote on Wed, 03 October 2007 06:35

Wow, i'm getting replies by the second...

To deal with people editing the game files then we could just export some of the original files and save as a backup FMP and then download another FMP from the server.

@Chaos:
Thats a very nice idea, arena PvPing Very Happy

Just run a crc check on the game files.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30490 is a reply to message #30483] Wed, 03 October 2007 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
morerunes wrote on Wed, 03 October 2007 06:37

can I really add new things to it? like a cheats menu that would apply mods on the click?

1)FE loads mods on a click
2)You'll never ever be able to do it while the game is running. It locks directx so you'd be unable to touch the archives.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30492 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 03 October 2007 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Memory editing something like that would be very hard and i wouldn't suggest doing it without a cracked exe that could properly parse code/data.

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30535 is a reply to message #27791] Wed, 03 October 2007 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean_s is currently offline  Sean_s
Blue has a modified exe, he made it so he can more then two body guards, nifty huh?

New? Or looking for information? Look here before posting.
Help the community by adding this to your sig!

Assistant for Conquest
By the way, call me Searyan
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30672 is a reply to message #27791] Thu, 04 October 2007 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NEOCHIKEN is currently offline  NEOCHIKEN
first of all if multiplayer can be achieved then go for it this would totally reinvent the game and if we cracked the exe im sure it would be possible to make the game harder and have more point to it making it more fun to play online if we can achieve multiplayer it is a sign that we can achieve anything in this game

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2309/cloudstrifesigle5.png
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30730 is a reply to message #30672] Thu, 04 October 2007 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HodgePodge is currently offline  HodgePodge
And like Blue said, hardly anybody in this community, save a few especially skilled people, could do anything worth doing with a cracked exe. Not to mention the fact that new tools would have to be written for dealing with it...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x50/HawjPawj/PONG.gif
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #30811 is a reply to message #27791] Thu, 04 October 2007 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
If I have to cleanse this thread of stupidity again people will be banned. This would be the second warning.

If you don't have Coding or Assembly knowledge then keep your opinions to yourself.

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=44
Quote:

1. If a topic makes no sense to you, do not ask broad questions about it. We have a lot of developer posts that will make no sense to someone who doesn't know how to program or has not taken the time to explore the game files.

The topic at hand is "How to do it", not if it can be done.

Fable treats the player as a special NPC. The exe will assign the player a special script type, and a special movement type. It's very likely that both can be hooked into and controlled. It's just a matter of finding the sub-routines and writing the network code.

The work required to hook the quest scripts is not for a few individuals. You'd need a fairly knowledgeable team of people.

This all relies on how good your knowledge of assembly is.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2007 20:54]

Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #31586 is a reply to message #27791] Thu, 11 October 2007 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator
An addendum to this. Since I had some thoughts on the matter.

A couple things that will need to be done is synchronizing.

Player Spawning
Player Position
Player Animation
And Possibly Player Input (for opening chests and such).

The function for the first&Second can probably be found by searching for the coordinates of the holysite that the player spawns at. Since it's essentially the marker.

The Third can probably be found by watching the file id's that get accessed from the graphics.big

The Fourth I'm sure should be easy to deal with as well.

From there what you want is a server/client hook that will spawn a player on each client and sync the position/action of the others.

So crack open your IDA Pro and get started. Wink

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #31700 is a reply to message #31586] Sat, 13 October 2007 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sepheroth479 is currently offline  sepheroth479

BlueTooth wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 22:47

Player Spawning
Player Position
Player Animation

The function for the first&Second can probably be found by searching for the coordinates of the holysite that the player spawns at. Since it's essentially the marker.

The Third can probably be found by watching the file id's that get accessed from the graphics.big

From there what you want is a server/client hook that will spawn a player on each client and sync the position/action of the others.

Oh my god did he just double post?

I looked up to him as a heroe..

WHYYY?????!?!?!!!?
Re: Fable Multiplayer [message #31702 is a reply to message #31700] Sat, 13 October 2007 07:35 Go to previous message

Administrator
sepheroth479 wrote on Sat, 13 October 2007 08:32

BlueTooth wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 22:47

Player Spawning
Player Position
Player Animation

Oh my god did he just double post?

I looked up to him as a heroe..

WHYYY?????!?!?!!!?

Neutral

2 weeks isn't doesn't excuse me from double posting? XD

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.