Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Need help on modeling armor
icon9.gif  Need help on modeling armor [message #36255] Mon, 31 December 2007 08:29 Go to next message
Salamandr0 is currently offline  Salamandr0
Hey I am new to modding fable and I am just wondering if there is any tutorials on how to make a armor for fable and making it work in fable. If there is then I need it plz so I can start working on my mod. Ty.
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36258 is a reply to message #36255] Mon, 31 December 2007 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

the search is friendly

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36259 is a reply to message #36258] Mon, 31 December 2007 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Actually, I have searched for this myself.
There isn't much along the lines of armor. Weapons aren't a problem, but that's because...
Sean_s wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 17:47

weapons are easy as hell
As for armor, I have yet to see anything helpful for it, unless my own searching ability is failing me.

Edit: I did find this though, Linky!

And another Sean_s quote:
Sean_s wrote on Sat, 28 July 2007 14:26

Its not easy to make armor, its full of trial and error (even if you know what you're doing) and its a pain in the ass all together. Although I know you need a special hierarchy. Just wanted to tell you its not easy.

Oh, FYI, I can't make armor, I'm just telling you what someone who can said.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2007 11:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36264 is a reply to message #36255] Mon, 31 December 2007 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok. Well if anyone was successful in making a custom armor for fable plz tell me how because I want to do a mod where you can wear master chief armor (from halo) XD. Ty anyways.
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36265 is a reply to message #36264] Mon, 31 December 2007 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
I can't say I'm a fan of Halo, but you are certainly not alone in that.

There are a few people who can do this, it's not something we haven't been able to do, only that it's not easy so only a few people do it:
morerunes did some work recently, example;
crazybunny has done some stuff, example;
The legendary BlueTooth can, of course, example;
Ailia has done lots of stuff, example, there's armor too;

and a handful of others but I couldn't think of their names off the top of my head, so yeah...
but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anyone to make a guide.
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36400 is a reply to message #36255] Thu, 03 January 2008 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire

Administrator
Making clothing work in Fable requires an advanced understanding of modeling. And even then you have to fiddle with it until you can force it to work.

It's not for the weak of heart. And there is no easy tutorial.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36409 is a reply to message #36255] Thu, 03 January 2008 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darn, i know how to do some modeling in this program I have called 3ds max but I don't think I know how to do advance modeling. I was just going to like rip the model off of the halo game, then cut up the parts so it will be like the gloves, trousers, body armor, and head. But how do you import the armor so it will work?
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36449 is a reply to message #36255] Fri, 04 January 2008 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Hammerhoof is currently offline  Grant Hammerhoof

I'm not sure just how strict the rules here are about porting (considering there are some legal situations one might get involved in if one delves too deeply into porting and publicly releasing), but typically you'll find model files which could be imported into a program, and then exported in a different format.

The upshot of this is that you get the model, import it, and then export it in a format you can edit; edit it, and then export it again as a format that another game will read.

Now, where you'll find the model in the first place is a bit tricky. In most games, you'll find archive files that have models, sounds, textures, and other game components packaged within them.

First you'd need a program to extract the model file from the archive, as well as any textures associated with the model.
Second you'd be needing a program that can convert the model file into a format you can edit. Say the model is in '.model' format. You'll need a converter, plugin, or other tool to convert it into a format you can edit with a modeling program; say, '.max' in this case.
Thirdly, you would go about editing the mesh the way you want, or/and then export it in a format that another game uses, let's say '.mdl'.

Anyway, those are sort of the steps. There's a lot of work to be done in-between though, and even the process of following this outline will take a good deal of time, effort, and a bit of computer knowledge as well. However, if you've purchased 3ds Max, then you've got to have some experience, so I'm pretty sure you'll find your way.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/grant_hammerhoof/Grant_BuffBull_WesternSignature.png
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36454 is a reply to message #36255] Fri, 04 January 2008 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much, all that I need to get is the modeling programs for changing the format cause I got 3ds Max (7 to be exact). It is easy for me to get the model of master chief because me and my friends messed with the master chief model before (made him have wings, lol). Thank you and I will try to do that. What program can convert a .obj file into a .max file? then a .max to what ever fable takes? And it will be hard for me to do the texture because it shows the texture of the entire armor instead of just parts like fable is.
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36468 is a reply to message #36255] Fri, 04 January 2008 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Hammerhoof is currently offline  Grant Hammerhoof

Might take a look at Milkshape. It can import and export a good range of *file-types. I went ahead and bought it and it works well.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/grant_hammerhoof/Grant_BuffBull_WesternSignature.png

[Updated on: Fri, 04 January 2008 22:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36475 is a reply to message #36454] Sat, 05 January 2008 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Salamandr0 wrote on Fri, 04 January 2008 17:16

Thank you very much, all that I need to get is the modeling programs for changing the format cause I got 3ds Max (7 to be exact). It is easy for me to get the model of master chief because me and my friends messed with the master chief model before (made him have wings, lol). Thank you and I will try to do that. What program can convert a .obj file into a .max file? then a .max to what ever fable takes? And it will be hard for me to do the texture because it shows the texture of the entire armor instead of just parts like fable is.

Just use plugins for 3ds max, you can google for them.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: Need help on modeling armor [message #36477 is a reply to message #36475] Sat, 05 January 2008 04:57 Go to previous message
Satan

Administrator
maxplugins.de is always a good bet.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.
Previous Topic: Graphics Editing
Next Topic: CREATURE_HERO Help needed!
Goto Forum: