Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Texture Problem
Texture Problem [message #38049] Fri, 15 February 2008 14:45 Go to next message
InsertNameHere is currently offline  InsertNameHere
I've made a texture and followed all the steps to make it and apply it to the game (it's an edit to the apprentice shirt) it all goes well until I click 'Save Mods And Run Fable' then nothing happens but Fable explorer crashing.

What can I do?

Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters?
Re: Texture Problem [message #38051 is a reply to message #38049] Fri, 15 February 2008 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Saying it crashes doesn't explain anything, but I'm going to guess that you aren't waiting long enough for FE to make the changes.

The textures.big is 508 MB. If the new texture has a different size than what the one it's replacing, a lot of work has to be done. Everything "below" that texture has to be adjusted to accommodate the changes you've made. That's up to 508 MB of data to be adjusted, that can take a long time, the exact amount of time depends on what you changed, how you changed it, and how fast your computer can sift through data.

So if you replace the very first texture with one that just has 1 additional byte (wouldn't happen, but for the sake of giving an example...), all 508 MB below that would have to be adjusted, moving everything over by one, and recalculating and writing the new offset of everything.

To answer your question of what you can do, you can wait, grab something to drink, watch TV for a few minutes, anything, because the only thing you can do is wait.
Re: Texture Problem [message #38059 is a reply to message #38051] Sat, 16 February 2008 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll give your idea a try.

It's genius Surprised

Thank you I'll see if it works, becuase I'm reinstalling Fable (I forgot to backup my files Razz )

Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters?
Re: Texture Problem [message #38379 is a reply to message #38051] Sun, 24 February 2008 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brambleclaw
I had a similar problem with retexturing the apprentice suit: First I opened the apprentice shirt in paint (yes I know paint is not very good but its the best i have) and when i fineshed, loaded it into FE, waited, went to graphics.big, opened the apprentice shirt and it looked fine but when i went into Fable went to put on the apprentice shirt the game crashed and since then even when I loaded the backup texture every time I went to wear the apprentice shirt the game crashed. Any ideas on how to make this not happen?
Re: Texture Problem [message #38383 is a reply to message #38379] Sun, 24 February 2008 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Make sure you're loading the texture as DXT1. By default, FE sets the alpha for the texture to 1, change it to 0. That should work.
Re: Texture Problem [message #38434 is a reply to message #38383] Tue, 26 February 2008 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NightmareMaker is currently offline  NightmareMaker

Most of the Texture problems are relaed to the default alpha change to 1 instead of 0.

JohnDoe told me that, and since then, I never had any more texture problems.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8827/signfighter8559026437ia.gif
*click to see my gallery* (or else die painfully)
Re: Texture Problem [message #38459 is a reply to message #38383] Wed, 27 February 2008 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brambleclaw
WOW I feel realy stupid Embarassed but thanks a lot it made me want to throw my comp at the wall when every texture I did on the apprentice suit was corrupt.
Re: Texture Problem [message #38486 is a reply to message #38049] Thu, 28 February 2008 10:23 Go to previous message
No need to reply I was just impatient and needed to wait.

Very Happy

Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters?
Previous Topic: changed guard uniform
Next Topic: Inaccessible Textures?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:54:56 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01134 seconds