Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Inaccessible Textures?
icon5.gif  Inaccessible Textures? [message #38483] Thu, 28 February 2008 09:42 Go to next message
AaronH is currently offline  AaronH
I'm working on a pretty unusual project. I'm trying to black out the entire world around my character. Think of it like a character showcase.

I'm happy to position myself in any non-hostile environment in the game, but I need to get rid of absolutely everything around him.

So far I've made pretty reasonable progress using the starting town to test things out. I've fried most of the landscape and flora, and a lot of the alpha effects like the clouds, moon, leaves, sunbeams, etc.

After scouring all of the textures.big file, there still seem to be some things unaccounted for or inaccessible. I'm not sure if I'm just having trouble locating them, or if they'd be stored in another location. In addition, some files (such as: GRAPHIC_ATMOSPHERIC_SKY_MORNING/MIDDAY/EVENING/MIDNIGHT) prompt me with an error inside FE and won't let me adjust the file. Is this a file format or size issue? Is there a different version of FE I could use to work around it?

Right now I'm looking at a few specific items:

Distant (Low-Res?) Landscape Textures -
Even after blacking out all of the Landscape-related textures I could find, these still show up on hills far away from my character. Definitely confused by this one.

Sky -
As explained above, these files return an error prompt. FE lists a folder structure within the .big file, including the file name. Is there any way to access the file by going around FE, and if so how difficult would it be?

Lighting/Fog -
Some of the fog I should still be able to remove. I saw it, but hadn't touched it yet. After everything's black, the only thing that will offer a third dimension is this gray matter.

Grass -
Similar to the Sky, some of the flora seems busted. I'm still looking at one bush and 2-3 types of tan grass in the starting area.

An alternative to some of this would be to find a location in the game that used a different flora or sky.

I know it sounds crazy, and it probably is, but I'm going to keep plugging away. Any additional insight is helpful and appreciated. =)
Re: Inaccessible Textures? [message #38488 is a reply to message #38483] Thu, 28 February 2008 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Some texture entries act weird in the latest FE. Earlier version of FE can handle it though.
Re: Inaccessible Textures? [message #38499 is a reply to message #38488] Thu, 28 February 2008 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AaronH is currently offline  AaronH
Thanks for the reply, I'll try to hunt down an earlier version to make things easier.

As a side note, I found something of a workaround for that issue in my case specifically.

If you Export the Sub Header and Entry data from one of the entries that does work properly and Import those to one that is having problems it seems to duplicate the image used in the prior case. The game appears to reference the symbol name and ID to place the file. This works okay for me because I'm just using solid black images and can copy from one to the next.

Thought it might be of interest, though, maybe help narrow the problem down a bit for future users.

That should take care of my sky and my flora, but I'm still drawing blanks for the lo-res distant landscape textures and haven't even started to drill into the shadow and lighting effects. Anyone have any ideas here, particularly about those landscape textures?

PS - Your morbid smiley avatar is mildly disturbing to me.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2008 14:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Inaccessible Textures? [message #38501 is a reply to message #38499] Thu, 28 February 2008 14:55 Go to previous message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
An easy way of finding out where the flora textures are would be to look at a model entry for a tree, flipping to the materials tab, click an item on the list and you'll find a texture ID number labeled "Base Texture ID". Landscape stuff should be labeled in the textures.big as "LANDSCAPE_SOMETHING_OR_OTHER".

Only from experience can one bleed from the eyes.
Before blood, it is merely tears.
Previous Topic: Texture Problem
Next Topic: X file import problem. Help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:43:20 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00970 seconds