Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Tools Discussion » FE froze... (i did search through the forum)
FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #39987] Sat, 12 April 2008 18:09 Go to next message
daemon1129 is currently offline  daemon1129
Ok, I just got FE, and i used the installer to install it, when i run it, it said "Error loading Graphics.BIG", then i used the setup pather to change my directory to the right one, the same problem...

Now i am not the admin of my laptop, plus he disabled the REGEDIT for my account, so can anyone help me with this problem? And I got XP, if that matters.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #39988 is a reply to message #39987] Sat, 12 April 2008 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Install Fable in My Documents or somewhere that doesn't require admin permissions. Problem solved.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40000 is a reply to message #39987] Sat, 12 April 2008 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do I have to reinstall fable again? or can I just move it there instead?

EDIT: K it doesnt work, the same problem happens again...

Since i'm not the Admin, I install the game thru a different PC and installed it into my external Harddrive, so there won't be a register in the my laptop. Is that why FE can't find the files?

[Updated on: Sat, 12 April 2008 22:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40001 is a reply to message #40000] Sat, 12 April 2008 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
daemon1129 wrote on Sat, 12 April 2008 23:48

Do I have to reinstall fable again? or can I just move it there instead?
I recommend reinstalling it.
daemon1129 wrote on Sat, 12 April 2008 23:48

EDIT: K it doesnt work, the same problem happens again...

Since i'm not the Admin, I install the game thru a different PC and installed it into my external Harddrive, so there won't be a register in the my laptop. Is that why FE can't find the files?
FE needs to know where the files are to auto-load them, but you can still manually open each one using File|Open and bypass the errors by pressing the space bar for each one. Thinking on it, a FE.ini or something of the sort would be good for things like this.

..\data\graphics\graphics.big
..\data\graphics\pc\textures.big
..\data\graphics\pc\frontend.big
..\data\lang\English\text.big*
..\data\Misc\pc\effects.big
..\data\Levels\FinalAlbion_RT.stb
..\data\Levels\FinalAlbion.wad**
..\data\CompiledDefs\names.bin
..\data\CompiledDefs\script.bin
..\data\CompiledDefs\frontend.bin
..\data\CompiledDefs\game.bin

* This is assuming you have the English version, if not, adjust as needed.

** This is assuming you still have the .WAD file, if you've already extracted it with AE/FreeRoam, then there is no need to load it in FE.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40018 is a reply to message #39987] Sun, 13 April 2008 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am I suppose to make that FE.ini file myself? if so i made one with ONLY the following lines;

D:\Games\FABLE\data\graphics\graphics.big
D:\Games\FABLE\data\graphics\pc\textures.big
D:\Games\FABLE\data\graphics\pc\frontend.big
D:\Games\FABLE\data\lang\English\text.big
D:\Games\FABLE\data\Misc\pc\effects.big
D:\Games\FABLE\data\Levels\FinalAlbion_RT.stb
D:\Games\FABLE\data\CompiledDefs\names.bin
D:\Games\FABLE\data\CompiledDefs\script.bin
D:\Games\FABLE\data\CompiledDefs\frontend.bin
D:\Games\FABLE\data\CompiledDefs\game.bin

Now this time it saids Error Loading textures.big...

EDIT: ok stupid me, press space bar once, and now i understand what you mean by by passing it... so ingore the Error loading textures.big. Now that i can get into FE, i still hope to be able to automatically load all the files, but if thats impossible in my case, then don't worry about.

One more thing, can you tell me briefly what exactly do i need to open to edit, for example, Weapon's damage? Do i need to open all the files in order to tweak some aspect of the game? or just the one that matters? Thanks once again.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2008 09:12]

Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40019 is a reply to message #40018] Sun, 13 April 2008 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
daemon1129 wrote on Sun, 13 April 2008 11:04

Am I suppose to make that FE.ini file myself? if so i made one with ONLY the following lines;
Heh, no. You can't do anything about it on your end, as FE's not setup to use such a file. I was just pointing out that it'd be a good idea.

Now this time it saids Error Loading textures.big...

EDIT: ok stupid me, press space bar once, and now i understand what you mean by by passing it... so ingore the Error loading textures.big. Now that i can get into FE, i still hope to be able to automatically load all the files, but if thats impossible in my case, then don't worry about.
Glad you figured out what I meant with the errors. No, unless it's got a key in the registry you're out of luck when it comes to auto-loading, as FE won't know where the files are and it assumes that they're in C:\Program Files\.. (restricted to limited accounts).

One more thing, can you tell me briefly what exactly do i need to open to edit, for example, Weapon's damage? Do i need to open all the files in order to tweak some aspect of the game? or just the one that matters? Thanks once again.
For weapon damage, open names.bin first, then game.bin.
The game.bin requires that the names.bin be open, and as a good practices thing, have the first thing you open always be names.bin, because I'm sure it is needed for other files as well.
Other than that, there are no dependencies, but the graphics.big won't display textured models in the model preview window if the textures.big file isn't open (no textures.big = models with no textures).

Weapon damage is controlled by the game.bin.
I had a pretty awesome tutorial (with pics!) some time ago, but the pictures have since been deleted by my host (those bastards). It's not a hard thing to do, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Note of warning: The save file is a data-sucking prick, if you already have the weapon for which you changed the damage, you'll need to toss/sell the weapon and grab/buy it again. Same thing with weapon augments. If you don't have it, you don't have to worry about that.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40020 is a reply to message #40019] Sun, 13 April 2008 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, so after i edit the weapon, i have to sell it and buy it again or something, in that case, does weapons like Sword of aeons works in the same way?

So if FE cant find the registry, it will load the files with the default directory in C:\Program files? then if i move my fable to there with the exact same as location, wouldn't it fix the problem?
I would wish to give it a try, but can you tell me the directory of it?

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2008 09:44]

Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40021 is a reply to message #40020] Sun, 13 April 2008 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Bleh, legendary weapons are a pain because you can't just sell them anywhere. I think you can donate them though, charity shop in SnowSpire (or you can spawn a charity shop, or change a CShopDef of a shop you haven't been to or "seen" yet in such a way that they'll buy the sword from you). You then have to either buy it back or re-spawn it.

daemon1129 wrote on Sun, 13 April 2008 11:40

So if FE cant find the registry, it will load the files with the default directory in C:\Program files? then if i move my fable to there with the exact same as location, wouldn't it fix the problem?
I would wish to give it a try, but can you tell me the directory of it?
Default install directory is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fable - The Lost Chapters\
Wouldn't matter though, limited account means Program Files = off limits. So yea, you could install Fable there, but FE wouldn't be able to make changes.

*** Added what the archives are, so you'll know which ones to open for which edits. ***

graphics.big -
Holds models and animations. If the textures.big is open, the models will be textured in the preview frame. If you've got a copy of Blender/3DS/other 3D app handy, you can easily make static models. No support for collision or dynamic models. Animated models are tricky, but can be done. Not a whole lot of support for animations. If you do any model editing here, start with static. You can also make meshes glow, give them bump/spec maps, and with some editing in the textures.big, you can make them translucent/transparent.

textures.big -
Holds textures. This is the place to go for recoloring stuff. With some texture edits you can also change the alpha to make them translucent/transparent on models supporting such things.

frontend.big -
Can't quite remember, believe I only ever opened this once. I thing it's textures.

text.big -
Holds all the text stuff that Fable uses. Here you can edit the text, or add your own.

effects.big -
Wii! Fun stuff. Though you can't really do anything with the stuff in here, it gives you a list of all of the effects Fable uses, like vomit! waterfalls! sunbeams! butterflies! much, much more. This is especially fun with using particle emitters in .TNGs, endless amusement.

FinalAlbion_RT.stb -
Don't touch, this thing's a monster.

FinalAlbion.wad -
This holds the .LEVs and .TNGs. The .TNGs hold level scripts, .LEVs hold map data such as length/width of the map, height of each cell in the map, walkpaths, NPC navigation data, other stuff too, but you'll need to extract the .WAD with FreeRoam to edit the .LEVs (using Albion Explorer).

names.bin -
Holds a lengthy list of everything, absolutely everything. Is needed for some other files to open.

script.bin -
Holds script information for cutscenes, regions and the main script.

frontend.bin -
Like the other frontend, I don't remember what this is. Just guessing here, but perhaps it's user interface?

game.bin -
All of the game definitions in Fable. Weapon/armor/creature/anything properties can be edited here.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2008 09:50]

Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40022 is a reply to message #40021] Sun, 13 April 2008 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay thanks for the help there, but i just open the game.bin and name.bin, all i can see in FE is the Directory of it on the top left hand corner, but there is nothing for me to do, i try double clicking it, or what ever, nothing...did i something that i forgot to do?
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40023 is a reply to message #40022] Sun, 13 April 2008 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Open FE.
Click File|Open.
Open the archives as you so choose.

Note: .BINs are called Bin Archives, .BIGs are called BIG archives, and the .WAD and the .STB are called BBB Archives.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40028 is a reply to message #40023] Sun, 13 April 2008 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did, nothing happens, here is a sreenie of itindex.php?t=getfile&id=5810&private=0

NO BMPS !!!

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2008 12:13] by Moderator

Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40029 is a reply to message #40028] Sun, 13 April 2008 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
That means it's opened. Try double-clicking on one of them. Laughing
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40031 is a reply to message #40029] Sun, 13 April 2008 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No luck... i tried to double click it, my laptop seems to respond with a second of lag and nothing happened... it stays the same
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40041 is a reply to message #40031] Sun, 13 April 2008 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
You double-click on the directory in the top left hand corner, that's how you open the archive. That's how I open the archives.

You may just need to give it time, it's not instant as FE has to do a lot of work, and on a laptop it's sure to take a while longer.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40073 is a reply to message #40041] Mon, 14 April 2008 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No seriously, it just doesnt open, nothing happened. I tried so may times and it never show up, i even waited for 15mins and nothing show up... any idea why?
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40074 is a reply to message #40073] Mon, 14 April 2008 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
If you're trying to open names.bin, it doesn't open.

Find the one that says game.bin, double-click it. If your computer doesn't seem like it's doing anything, double-click it again. Then just wait.

That's all I can tell you, that's all there is to that problem.
Re: FE froze... (i did search through the forum) [message #40076 is a reply to message #40074] Mon, 14 April 2008 18:33 Go to previous message
well i guess i'll have to give up on modding Fable, well, maybe until i got my own laptop that i can use here...
Previous Topic: UPDATING XBOX DEF.XML FILE
Next Topic: freeroam help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:52:14 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01410 seconds