Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » General Mod Discussion » Question about Making new weapons
Question about Making new weapons [message #40165] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:22 Go to next message
Youkai is currently offline  Youkai
Ok, here's the deal.

I have a friend who has recently acquired a copy of Maya and he's capable of creating weapon meshes and such.

A question I'd like to ask, well, rather, there's two quextions:

A: How is the position of the hand on the weapon decided? (SO that I don't end up having a guy holding a weapon by the blade)

B: How do I bind a mesh to a Fable Weapon using Fable Explorer?
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40166 is a reply to message #40165] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Weapons are easy once the concepts are grasped.

A. There needs to be a helper dummy that is positioned and rotated to where the Hero is to hold it. I believe it's called HDMY_WEAPON_FOCUS_01, though it's been a while since I last looked at a weapon so I'm not entirely sure on this.
B. Not sure what you mean by "bind", but the process is simple enough.

You export a weapon model from the graphics.big using FE.
You import it to your 3D app (in this case, Maya).
You then import your new weapon model.
After making sure the new weapon model is set and rotated at 0,0,0, you rearrange the new model to line up with the Fable weapon model (move/rotate the vertices, not the mesh itself).
Rearrange the helpers as desired, their positions and names will indicate what they're for.
Parent the new model to whatever the parent of the Fable weapon model is (so that they're siblings).
Delete the Fable weapon model and export as directx.
Import into Fable, assign textures, the rest is game.bin stuff.

While it looks like a lot, it's actually quite simple.

Learning resources:
Boom and boom.
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40167 is a reply to message #40166] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 10:36

Weapons are easy once the concepts are grasped.

A. There needs to be a helper dummy that is positioned and rotated to where the Hero is to hold it. I believe it's called HDMY_WEAPON_FOCUS_01, though it's been a while since I last looked at a weapon so I'm not entirely sure on this.

?How would I send this dummy then to my friend?
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40168 is a reply to message #40167] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
You would send a weapon model to your friend.
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40169 is a reply to message #40165] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright

Where would I find this HDMY_WEAPON_FOCUS_01?
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40170 is a reply to message #40169] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
It's a part of the model.
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40171 is a reply to message #40165] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XD
Well, now I just feel like an idiot.
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40172 is a reply to message #40165] Fri, 18 April 2008 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where in the model?
and is it the Object or the mesh where it's found?
Re: Question about Making new weapons [message #40173 is a reply to message #40172] Fri, 18 April 2008 11:17 Go to previous message

Retired
A helper is nothing more than a point in 3D space, so technically it's not part of the mesh at all. It's an orphaned helper, and is only used for how it's to work with Fable (where augments start, where the Hero holds it, etc). It's included in the .X file that you export from FE.
Previous Topic: Harnesh The Power of Shadownet (A Challenge Thread)
Next Topic: Camera Wiggle?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 11:39:22 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01286 seconds