Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » .dds help
.dds help [message #42119] Sun, 08 June 2008 13:41 Go to next message
bezlyudnyivolk is currently offline  bezlyudnyivolk
how do u apply a dds from an exported model to the model in game can any one tell me?
Re: .dds help [message #42120 is a reply to message #42119] Sun, 08 June 2008 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Not sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll throw it all at you.

You load the image over the old texture.

In the graphics.big, you can find out which texture entries are used by switching over to the materials tab of an open model entry. By clicking the individual materials, you'll get information about each one, including what texture is used. Remember those numbers.
Open textures.big and find those entries (will require trial and error, open one, look at the ID number, see if you're too low or too high, keep looking).
Once you find them, open them and click "Open new". A new window should pop up, click browse and an open dialog should pop up. Change the filetype you're looking for to *.dds because by default it filters out anything that isn't a bitmap. Browse, find and select your image that is to be the new texture, click open.

Now, and this worth noting, if the image doesn't have any transparency (alpha, see-through, whatever you would like to call it) then leave it as DXT1. If it does, switch it to DXT3. The reason this is important is because DXT1 doesn't support alpha. Click open. You may not notice the change immediately, don't worry about that.

This next thing is also worth noting, and is very important. If the format was DXT1, change the alpha value 0. If it was DXT3, leave it as 1 (by default, it switches to 1 after loading a new texture).
Re: .dds help [message #42121 is a reply to message #42120] Sun, 08 June 2008 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks that helped

Well it seemed to work.
i imported the textures and changed the alpha to 0 but when i go to actions and save mods and load fable i get an error saying it cant access the textures.big and then it undos the imported textures. i tried changing it to DXT3 but that came up with the same error on both alpha 1 and 0. im still very much a noob so i would be thankful for any help.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 June 2008 17:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .dds help [message #42342 is a reply to message #42121] Thu, 12 June 2008 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

vista or xp?

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: .dds help [message #42354 is a reply to message #42119] Thu, 12 June 2008 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks to john i got around that problem but when i apply my modified textures to a weapon then either the game crashes when it tries to load the weapon or its a jibber jabber of rainbow colors. i've tried various modifications with both bitmaps and .dds's but so far no good and if anyone could give me the original nostro texture i would be grateful cuz somehow i lost mine. its [\BBBPROJECTS\FABLE1_5RELEASE\FABLE\RESOURCES\ART3\REGIONS\G RAVEYARD\VILLAGERS\TEXTURE\NOSTRO_ARMOUR_01.TGA] in the texture file about halfway down mixed in with the oldkingdom textures. thx for the help guys.
Re: .dds help [message #42356 is a reply to message #42119] Thu, 12 June 2008 20:01 Go to previous message
Satan

Administrator
Get the texture yourself. No original files will be given.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.
Previous Topic: mesh problems
Next Topic: First New Architecture for Fable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:21:45 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01196 seconds