Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Requests » Quest Select
Quest Select [message #42185] Tue, 10 June 2008 11:45 Go to next message
mattgrizz is currently offline  mattgrizz
Hi everybody,

I'm new here and have a question regarding a possible Fable mod.

I'm a grad student trying to conduct a social-scientific experiment for my thesis using Fable: TLC for PC. For the experiment, I'd like to be able to save a particular state in the game for loading later. Specifically, I'd like to be able to load the game directly to the "Quest start" screens for both the "Save Orchard Farm" quest and the "Attack Orchard Farm" quest (see attachment).index.php?t=getfile&id=6252&private=0

I've done some searching on here, but haven't been able to find something that would allow me to save a particular state in the game or load a particular quest at will.

If there's anybody here who can help, I'd be really grateful and acknowledge your help in the thesis.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew
  • Attachment: Picture 2.png
    (Size: 342.37KB, Downloaded 775 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 10 June 2008 12:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Quest Select [message #42192 is a reply to message #42185] Tue, 10 June 2008 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
That's interesting.

I don't think there's software out there that can pull this off, but if there is, it'd likely be something along the lines of a save state system, if you've ever used an emulator, you'll know what this is. In fact, I'd put my money on it not being possible except through emulation. I've never heard about it being done on PC games before though...
Re: Quest Select [message #42200 is a reply to message #42192] Tue, 10 June 2008 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

get a virtual machine, (vm ware works nice), and run fable on it, and when you are ready to stop, just close the virtual machine and it should automatically save-state

it'll run real slow though

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Quest Select [message #42202 is a reply to message #42185] Tue, 10 June 2008 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the savestate idea is exactly what I'm thinking of.

VM isn't bad idea, but I'm concerned about speed. I want it to be a seamless experience.

Would this work? Have Fable running under two user accounts in windows, and switch back and forth between them. So for example, play the game up until the Quest start screen, switch to the other user account and have the subjects go through the training at the guild in the other instance of fable. Then when I need the subject to complete the quest, I just switch back to the other account with fable at the quest start screen?
Re: Quest Select [message #42211 is a reply to message #42202] Tue, 10 June 2008 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
Ehh... why wouldn't a normal world save work? If the plan is to save within quests then it won't work of course.

But mI'm not quite getting what this is about. Embarassed

To jump to the quest screen itself, teleporters might do the trick. Confused

Busy!

[Updated on: Tue, 10 June 2008 14:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Quest Select [message #42212 is a reply to message #42185] Tue, 10 June 2008 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The New Fabled Ravrn
No, he means hero saving. If you HeroSave in the middle of a quest, what can you do to load it at the
quest start screen, not having to manually go there yourself.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9329/newim.gif http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4678/rulesq.gif
Re: Quest Select [message #42244 is a reply to message #42212] Wed, 11 June 2008 08:34 Go to previous message
morerunes, that's exactly what I mean.

I was hoping there would be a way to do this (it would save me hours of time, since I'm running about 135 subjects), but it sounds like it's impossible right now. Once I get my PC back, I'm going to try the multiple users idea and see if that works.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Previous Topic: Items in a Chest
Next Topic: QESTION ABOUT MAZE MOD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:05:45 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00957 seconds