Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » Too much RAM?
icon9.gif  Too much RAM? [message #42213] Tue, 10 June 2008 15:04 Go to next message
donlac is currently offline  donlac
I am running Vista (Business x64) with 4 GB ram and a AMD quad core and Fable gives me the error:

Your system does not have enough RAM or virtual memory to run the game. Please close any addtional programs that may be running or increase your virtual memory settings. If you wish to add additional RAM, please contact your computer manufacturer for any necessary assistance.

and below it says:

Machine Info: 2100MHz, 0MB, 512MB nVidia (0x0622)

Does anyone have any idea why it does this and how I can get it to stop? If I just continue anyway it only uses around 100 megs of RAM and appears to be paging constantly causing a very stuttered gameplay unless I run in very small circles indoors Crying or Very Sad .

EDIT: I have tried clogging up all but around 1 GB of ram and it still has the problem. My brother runs the game fine on his machine (Vista x64, 2GB ram, I dont know what version of vista).

[Updated on: Tue, 10 June 2008 15:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Too much RAM? [message #42230 is a reply to message #42213] Tue, 10 June 2008 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raziel is currently offline  Raziel
look here.
i don't know what your problem is but the guide should help you.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 June 2008 22:19]

Re: Too much RAM? [message #42241 is a reply to message #42213] Wed, 11 June 2008 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already set the directory to wide open permissions, but I just tried taking ownership too and that didn't seem to have any effect.

I don't know if its normal but the loading bar (when loading from a save) only fills about half way. The other oddity is that after the autosave, the screen goes black for 3-4 seconds, then the sounds start, then a second or two later, an image appears.

EDIT: I just reinstalled the game using a CD copy (instead of the DVD one) and the warning screen went away, but I still get the same laggy performance (and if I run, the ground textures don't load by the time I get to them).

[Updated on: Wed, 11 June 2008 04:21]

Re: Too much RAM? [message #42266 is a reply to message #42241] Wed, 11 June 2008 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMarcoh is currently offline  JCMarcoh
sounds like a graphics card error, have you done all your updates? because all the ram in the world is useless without the horse power to back it up. plus, what series nvidia card?

JCMarcoh= John Cervantes Marcoh.
Fear my holy wrath. Well, more like holy indigestion, but still, fear it.
Re: Too much RAM? [message #42269 is a reply to message #42213] Wed, 11 June 2008 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really doubt its anything hardware related (at least in terms of not enough power) but in case I am missing something:

AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition
nVidia GeForce 9600 GT
4 GB Corsair DDR2 (Dual Channel)
Western Digital Raptor 150
Windows Vista Business x64

I have no trouble playing Mass Effect at mid to high settings, so I doubt it could be lack of HP.

I tried updating to the latest nVidia drivers this afternoon with no effect. The problem really appears to be that the game is just not making a large enough game cache and/or not populating it in time.

Let me know if I missed anything which could be relevant.

Thanks.
Re: Too much RAM? [message #42710 is a reply to message #42269] Sun, 15 June 2008 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geek is currently offline  Geek
well too much ram seems like a odd thing to happen

i had fable on my vista and it wasnt working well either lucky for me i had a old xp pc lieing around and it works great on it

are you runing a laptop?

ps. what did you pay for your pc?

[Updated on: Sun, 15 June 2008 14:42]

Re: Too much RAM? [message #42792 is a reply to message #42213] Mon, 16 June 2008 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an old XP machine too, I will try that whenever I get unlazy and get a video cable for it (my monitor has a DVI and a VGA input...but I only have a DVI cable which is now attached to the Vista box)

p.s. a little over a grand (everything except a new monitor/keyboard/mouse). I still need to get a storage drive (150 GB fills fast).
Re: Too much RAM? [message #42935 is a reply to message #42213] Tue, 17 June 2008 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I called Microsoft Games support (I know, I didn't even know they had one) and two hours of India tech support later, it works. The only down side is I have to perform a "Clean Boot" (KB331796) and set the system memory to 2 GB (BOOT -> Advanced Options... -> Maximum memory).

From my testing later I found that I don't need an entire clean boot. I will test more later and try to find out what exactly is conflicting. I know now that its not the memory as the problems continued when I tried just lowering the memory and nothing else.
Re: Too much RAM? [message #43171 is a reply to message #42213] Mon, 23 June 2008 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SonnoMaku is currently offline  SonnoMaku
I didn't read any of the other posts but I think the problem is your 64 bit operating system or just cause it's vista. Laughing
Re: Too much RAM? [message #43175 is a reply to message #42213] Tue, 24 June 2008 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I have narrowed it down to RAM and Avira AntiVir. If I set the amount of ram down to 2GB and disable the AntiVir Workstation executable. I am not sure if this disables antivirus (the services are still running) or just the frontend. The 64 bit OS could still be part of the problem but I have no way of proving that (can't have 4 GB of ram in Vista 32).
Re: Too much RAM? [message #43184 is a reply to message #43175] Tue, 24 June 2008 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
donlac wrote on Tue, 24 June 2008 11:32

can't have 4 GB of ram in Vista 32

Yes you can.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2008 21:42]

Re: Too much RAM? [message #43186 is a reply to message #42213] Wed, 25 June 2008 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes and no...Vista 32-bit with SP1 will report the whole 4 GB, but I haven't found anywhere that confirms it will be able to access all 4 GB of it. As http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605 explains, 32-bit OSes can only see a maximum of 4 GB of memory, however, included in that value is the memory used by your video card (as well as other memory on the motherboard). This limits the maximum memory to less than 4 GB (around 3.25 usually). SP1 supposedly fixes this, but the KB article just says it "reports" the installed value, not anything about using it. Also in that same KB article the workaround for using 4 GB of memory includes "An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used."
Re: Too much RAM? [message #43188 is a reply to message #42213] Wed, 25 June 2008 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satan

Administrator
You will never address the full 4gb as part of it is allocated to the system. All Vista does is change the used ram to installed, a purely cosmetic effect as the addressing is still the same.

Anyways:
x86 Vista Ultimate runs Fable just fine with 4gb ram installed.
x64 Vista Ultimate runs Fable just fine with 4gb ram installed.
x86 XP Professional runs Fable just fine with 4gb ram installed.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1398/satansigv5gu3.gif

There is nothing in the Void.
There is no point to it's being.
I wish there was a reason.
There is nothing in the Void,
But what we put there.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2008 07:23]

Re: Too much RAM? [message #43195 is a reply to message #42213] Wed, 25 June 2008 16:00 Go to previous message
That's not what I meant by using the whole 4 GB. Of course some will be used by the system, but in a 32-bit OS, the system can only address 4 GB, so the amount on your video card and any other amount built into the motherboard, daughterboards (with DMA), etc... are all subtracted from the 4 GB addressing, leaving you with empty (and unreachable) memory. With a 64-bit OS, you can page up to 2 exobytes, so the video card/motherboard/daughterboard/etc memory can be addressed in (a tiny fraction of) the extra space.

As to Fable running fine on x64 Vista w/4 GB of RAM, it might not have a problem on Ultimate, but it does on Business edition. As I pointed out before as well, Avira AntiVir seems to be conflicting with Fable in some manner as well. I did however try running the game with a "Clean Boot" and 4 GB of RAM and it still had a problem.
Previous Topic: so yea...
Next Topic: Help Installing Mods
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:20:32 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01398 seconds