Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Rigging ranged weapons?
Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44088] Sun, 20 July 2008 03:17 Go to next message
DarkArcz is currently offline  DarkArcz

I've been looking into fable modding for the past week (and downloading stuff from this forum for the past month), and I've come across dozens of guides teaching me how to do stuff like make sticks, or roughly popsicle shaped weapons. My game is now littered with the spawn of my horribly simple creations (not that I mind, stabbing the Guildmaster with a cylinder was pretty entertaining). A day ago, I got interested in the idea of making some ranged weapons, specifically weapons that work like the crossbows or repeater crossbows in Fable (trying to make a rifle, and perhaps a crossbow or two). But I hear say that ranged weapons require rigging for animations. I quote morerunes from a comment on YouTube;

Quote:

no problem, in the uv/image editor, just select everything and go to uvs>>mirror>>y axis

I haven't figured out how to do bows yet, because the bows require you to rig them for animations, but you would need to make the shot creation dummy helper (I can't remember where that is supposed to be, I'll have to take a look some time)

If you want to, you are welcome to try it yourself, but first you need to know which bones to weight and stuff, and you need to know where each bone goes.

Quote:

nah, the only ranged things you wouldn't have to rig is throwing objects (don't ask me how ot make, never tried)

I gather from the latter quote that crossbows/repeaters need to rigged too. However, I haven't the slightest idea on how to do it. Nor do I know how to make a "shot creation dummy helper" (unless its the same as making augment helpers). And Googling the terms hasn't turned up any useful results either.

I know a few dudes over here have made ranged weapon mods that work like crossbows/repeaters (BlueTooth's Arquebus, a shotgun), so can anybody guide me through the process? Or atleast redirect me to a tutorial I could follow?

No sigs here, move along.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 July 2008 03:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44092 is a reply to message #44088] Sun, 20 July 2008 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
DarkArcz wrote on Sun, 20 July 2008 05:17

I gather from the latter quote that crossbows/repeaters need to rigged too.
Crossbows require no rigging.
Export a model and work off of that, so that you don't need to create any helpers, they're already there.
Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44095 is a reply to message #44092] Sun, 20 July 2008 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Waspp is currently offline  Waspp

What about bows?

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/_-Waspp-_/Wasppnews ig2-1.jpg
Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44096 is a reply to message #44095] Sun, 20 July 2008 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Yes for bows, no for crossbows, yes for pump action crossbows, no for throwable objects.
Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44130 is a reply to message #44096] Sun, 20 July 2008 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks, JohnDoe. I'll just go ahead and work off a crossbow for now. I suppose somebody could lock this topic now, since I wouldn't need to rig the weapon I'm about to make anyway. Though if somebody has info to add on rigging, I'd be glad to hear of it too.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 July 2008 23:00]

Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44171 is a reply to message #44130] Tue, 22 July 2008 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ah, there was one question I forgot to ask. I'm doing this all in Blender, so I needed to open up a crossbow in Notepad to note down the helpers I need to create. What is the function of HDMY_COUNTER_PLACEMENT and where is it normally located in a crossbow? I asume that HDMY_SHOT_CREATION_DUMMY would be where arrows fire out of ingame?

Edit: Ooops, din't mean to double post. Sorry 'bout that, could somebody delete the previous post?

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2008 00:35]

Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44174 is a reply to message #44171] Tue, 22 July 2008 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

yes, the shot creation dummy is where the arrow appears when you shoot. It might be sideways it you don't do it correctly, so make sure the z axis it pointing the direction that the arrow fires (it seems the z axis is kind of like the pointer for direction, so make an empty, and rotate it -90 degrees on the appropriate axis, and the z should point away from the crossbow

sorry for misleading you, I thought a crossbow would need to be rigged

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Rigging ranged weapons? [message #44189 is a reply to message #44088] Wed, 23 July 2008 01:06 Go to previous message

Nah, its OK. I think I got the helpers alright in the end. My arrows din't fire backwards, for one. I still have no idea what HDMY_COUNTER_PLACEMENT is supposed to be - I just placed it somewhere close to the shot dummy helper. I din't seem to have too much trouble with it, though. The biggest problem I had was with the mesh itself. It was invisible most of the time, and tiny. But I'll follow the tips you gave me on the topic I posted in the WIP section tomorrow, and see if that works out.

Previous Topic: Hair removal
Next Topic: Help with new item texture =P
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 21:16:00 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01730 seconds