Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Texture Alpha Issues
Texture Alpha Issues [message #45170] Thu, 28 August 2008 02:14 Go to next message
Grant Hammerhoof is currently offline  Grant Hammerhoof

Howdy to you folks here at Fable TLC Mod Scene once again, heh. Anywho, I'm trying to remove the shoulder pads from the Bandit Vest, as well as the necklace and such by modifying the texture file, and applying an alpha channel to make all but the vest itself completely transparent.

I opened the Bandit Vest, modified it, confined it to a single layer, added a fifth channel (Alpha), set the alpha channel to black, but then cut-out the bandit vest and made it white. I saved it as .tga 24 bits/pixel.
In Fable Explorer, I then opened the texture entry, and used the [Open] function to overwrite the default with my texture. I opened it as DXT3, and made sure that the "Alpha" setting was set to 1 in the preview window. I then [Applied Changes], save and ran Fable, and encounter this little issue:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/grant_hammerhoof/grant_bvtexexpl.jpg

Now, in the Preview window (back in Fable Explorer), I know that alpha in a texture image is displayed as purple (RGB, 255 0 255), and will make mention that despite enabling alpha channels both in the image and the preview window, it obviously isn't working, as the background is solid white instead.

And now, I realized after this that the .tga file I was saving wasn't saving the alpha channel. Well, okay. I just tried .png as well, but am getting the same issue; it's deleting my alpha channel.

So why am I using .tga and .png, and not .dds? Well, I try to save a .dds file with an alpha channel and it says "Too Many Channels to Import (5)". I deleted the alpha channel manually after this, but made sure the image was still on a transparent background, and saved the image as DXT3. I then loaded it as DXT3, made sure alpha was enabled--and ran into the little problem again.

So my main question is what is your working technique for getting alpha channels to work in images/textures in-game?

*P.S. I did try DXT1, but no go--it's an issue with saving the file; it literally deletes the alpha channel from the image. I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for image/texture editing.

Thanks for taking a look.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/grant_hammerhoof/Grant_BuffBull_WesternSignature.png

[Updated on: Thu, 28 August 2008 02:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Texture Alpha Issues [message #45171 is a reply to message #45170] Thu, 28 August 2008 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

you need to enable alpha in the model

just find the model, open it, go to the material tab, click on each peice changing "material alpha enabled" to 1

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: Texture Alpha Issues [message #45173 is a reply to message #45170] Thu, 28 August 2008 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Hammerhoof is currently offline  Grant Hammerhoof

Huzzah!! Heh, glad it was a simple thing to be sure! Thanks a bundle Morerunes!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/grant_hammerhoof/Grant_BuffBull_WesternSignature.png
Re: Texture Alpha Issues [message #45174 is a reply to message #45173] Thu, 28 August 2008 14:45 Go to previous message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

no problem ^_^

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Previous Topic: Confused.
Next Topic: Mesh Previews
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:49:06 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01850 seconds