Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Definition Editing » them bones  () 1 Vote
them bones [message #46266] Wed, 15 October 2008 04:42
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

alright, I'm sure that you'll be happy to know I have further advanced fable modding, with the help of BayStone

a while back, I asked BayStone to make a names.bin interface for CBox, and he did, and I stopped modding. Now I'm back, and I went back to a test I had been wanting to do.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

1. Can new bone config files be used in the game? (not just edited)

2. Can non-human creatures have bone config files attached without any special syntax?

both questions revealed "Yes! Yes we can!"

I added a new bones file amethyst_hornet_set.bncfg (special note: the extension .bncfg is not important, I could have made it amethyst_hornet_set.omg_there's_a_giant_freakin'_cow_eating_ our_neibor's_house_this_sunday)

I'll explain the details of the bones file in a minute

I linked the bones file, by opening names.bin in CBox, adding a new entry, and the text I entered was just amethyst_hornet_set.bncfg

I took note of the offset, and saved names.bin

then I made a new CSkeletalMorphDef, linking to my new bones file, and poof, it appeared to work.

before I even started the game, I copied a bones file, and re-named it to what I needed it as, and then stripped it of it's group settings (leaving in the comments, due to being uncertain of the result of doing so), and then I looked at the hornet mesh I exported, found all the bones (near the bottom) and got rid of the bones listed in the bncfg file, and replaced them with the bones from the hornet mesh. I then did nothing else to the hornet mesh, and I did not re-import into fable files.

next, using CBox, I attached the CSkeletalMorphDef and the related CTC to my new wasp creature, and ran the game. The game did not crash, and I saw my wasp (as many tweaks as I still needed, it worked)

I went back to the bones file and changed the numbers from 1.0's to 2.0's and VOILA! a gigantic wasp flew in front of me! (don't forget to add Sub_movement_dummy into the mix, so you can change how high it flies)

I theorize that this technique can be used not just for creatures, but also for bows, and any other animated object (including a CHeroMorphDef on a tree with bones, may just make it possible to have a tree that grows with you. Make it some sort of house type object, with a sign that lets you "carve your name into the tree" (buy the "house"), you could carve your name into it, and when you got older it'd still be there XD

have fun! and just for kicks, check out my hornet:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/160/amethysthornetob1.th.jpghttp://img257.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2008 15:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Removing Scars
Next Topic: choose villagers??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:43:23 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01760 seconds