Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Development » Tools » ChocolateBox
Re: ChocolateBox [message #42923 is a reply to message #41627] Tue, 17 June 2008 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Request: Camera control revision/addition.

I noticed that there are no keyboard controls for camera up/down movement. That'd make my day if it were to be added. If possible, relative up/down movement would be better, but absolute up/down is okay as well, as long as there's something of the sort in place. Something like Ctrl/Shift + W/Up or S/Down arrow.
[EDIT]
Absolute would be consistent and would probably be easier as well since the other keyboard camera controls are already absolute.

Also, I like how it can dump BBB archives, cool stuff. I was wondering if something of the sort can be made for BIG archives, specifically graphics.big/textures.big/frontend.big. Not sure how that would work out with the directories/file names and everything, but just thought I'd mention it.

Question: I just reformatted, reinstalled my setup (which should be the same) and recently picked up the latest version (I was one or two updates behind). Question is, were there some drastic changes that would affect speed in the last couple of updates? Because this newest one is much faster, near seamless, and I can't figure out if it's my end or changes in the app. If it was changes in the app, I'm very impressed. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 17 June 2008 18:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ChocolateBox [message #42924 is a reply to message #42923] Tue, 17 June 2008 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes is currently offline  morerunes

Administrator

oh yeah, forgot one request: an interface for names.bin so we can add entries manually if we wish

this would be handy for adding new bones files to the list, so I can make custom bones for custom creatures

"All of the work, and none of the play, will surely provide for a speedy decay"
Re: ChocolateBox [message #42949 is a reply to message #42923] Wed, 18 June 2008 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayStone is currently offline  BayStone
First post updated.

JohnDoe wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 22:54

Request: Camera control revision/addition.

I'll probably add that for the next one.

JohnDoe wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 22:54

Question: I just reformatted, reinstalled my setup (which should be the same) and recently picked up the latest version (I was one or two updates behind). Question is, were there some drastic changes that would affect speed in the last couple of updates? Because this newest one is much faster, near seamless, and I can't figure out if it's my end or changes in the app. If it was changes in the app, I'm very impressed. Smile

Optimization for speed. Very Happy

morerunes wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 23:36

oh yeah, forgot one request: an interface for names.bin

I'll look into it.

Axemagus wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 11:33

Maybe I missed a post somewhere, but I did search for anything about this. Some of the meshes when viewed in Chocolate Box or Fable Explorer have the textures all messed up. It looks like the tex coords are completely out of sync. For other models, everything works fine. Ideas?

You'll just have to learn to live with that. There are limitations to what we can do without any dev support. The important thing is that our imported models work properly.

Busy!

[Updated on: Wed, 18 June 2008 03:06]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #42958 is a reply to message #41627] Wed, 18 June 2008 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

sounds great, but is there a way to add helpers to imported obj's (I did try importing an obj, and seems to work great! It will really smooth out making stuff like statues and buildings)

Re: ChocolateBox [message #42960 is a reply to message #42958] Wed, 18 June 2008 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 18:44

sounds great, but is there a way to add helpers to imported obj's (I did try importing an obj, and seems to work great! It will really smooth out making stuff like statues and buildings)

No, not yet. That'll require object hierarchies and I haven't done that yet.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #42966 is a reply to message #41627] Wed, 18 June 2008 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
The New Fabled Ravrn wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 15:25

My question is simple, how do you rotate objects?
Excerpt: BayStone - Basic instructions for region editor

With the left mouse button you can move the object and with the right mouse button you can rotate it.
You'll see the red, green and blue arrows, right click and move to rotate. Note: each rotate the object on the axis it represents, will take some getting used to.
Re: ChocolateBox [message #42978 is a reply to message #41627] Wed, 18 June 2008 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
I'll throw in the possibility that it's minimized and you need to right-click it in the taskbar and select maximize.
Re: ChocolateBox [message #42982 is a reply to message #42978] Wed, 18 June 2008 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

there are some problems with the obj import

whenever I import this mesh (see attached) it appears fine in the preview window, but when in game one of the faces reversed normals on it

this happens to many meshes that I attempt to import, where one face has inverted normal data

also, it doesn't seem to import smoothing groups

(the obj's intended texture is 2727)

I exported it the old fashion way through 3ds and imported the .x file into cbox however and this problem dissapears, so I know it's not the mesh
  • Attachment: pillar.obj
    (Size: 23.37KB, Downloaded 819 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 18 June 2008 21:42]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #43002 is a reply to message #41627] Thu, 19 June 2008 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
I think when you uninstalled Fable, the renamed FinalAlbion.wad remained. Reinstalling Fable put another FinalAlbion.wad in the mix. So Chocolate Box must think that because FinalAlbion.wad is there, the modding environment isn't setup properly, but it can't rename it to whatever it renames it to because there is already a FinalAlbion.wad renamed by Chocolate Box there. Solution: Delete one of them, doesn't matter which.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 June 2008 13:48]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #43003 is a reply to message #41627] Thu, 19 June 2008 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The New Fabled Ravrn wrote on Thu, 19 June 2008 22:19

Okay, i re-installed Fable to clean everything up and start on my
WIP. The first thing i did was go to pen-up CBox, it said...

"Your modding enviroment is not setup properly. Do you want
ChocolateBox to do it for you?"

And, like always, i clicked OK. Then it came up with an error
that said...

"Cannot Create a new file when that file already exists"
Then...

"Modding enviroment is not OK. Application will not exit"
Does CBox put a file in the Fable Folder?

Interesting. Why didn't this come up when I was testing it... Confused

Anyway, it's probably userst.ini. Change the UseLevelWAD line from the file manually, that might fix this issue.

A little preview of the next big thing:
index.php?t=getfile&id=6381&private=0

Any opinions?
  • Attachment: ob.JPG
    (Size: 33.68KB, Downloaded 2777 times)

Busy!

[Updated on: Thu, 19 June 2008 13:53]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #43191 is a reply to message #42982] Wed, 25 June 2008 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the support OldBoy. Smile

Busy!

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2008 08:55]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #43776 is a reply to message #41627] Tue, 08 July 2008 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First post updated.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #45008 is a reply to message #41627] Wed, 20 August 2008 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The New Fabled Ravrn wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 22:05

Baystone, is the Object Builder WIP? Cause when making armour, it still uses the same appearancemodifer. Not the actual link though, everything is normal, but in the CAMD, it shares the model with the original clothing.

This way, you have to make the graphics.bg entries, link them, and yeah, takes forever.

It's not really WIP, but it may be lacking something... but you gotta give me a little bit more. What are the steps?

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #45336 is a reply to message #41627] Wed, 03 September 2008 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the application path aka. where did you install it to?

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #45854 is a reply to message #41627] Tue, 30 September 2008 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes wrote on Mon, 29 September 2008 03:54

hey bay, you still working on loading and saving fmp files?

On a hiatus of sorts, I guess, I've been working on another project. I think it was working at least on some level in the latest released version. Or not?

Busy!

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2008 05:49]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #47004 is a reply to message #41627] Thu, 06 November 2008 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes wrote on Thu, 06 November 2008 04:54

Bug Report:

The object builder does not fix paths to self (so if I clone a weapon, some of the CDefs still point to OBJECT_[OTHER_SWORD], when it should point to OBJECT_[WHATEVER_I_PUT_IN_FOR_THE_CDEF_NAME_OVERRIDE]

If I remember right, that's not really a bug per se. I made it that way by choice. Why, I don't remember. Anywho, does it actually cause problems?

morerunes wrote on Thu, 06 November 2008 04:54

also, loading DXT1 images into textures.big sets the alpha to 1

What should it be?

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #47005 is a reply to message #47004] Fri, 07 November 2008 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
BayStone wrote on Fri, 07 November 2008 01:59

If I remember right, that's not really a bug per se. I made it that way by choice. Why, I don't remember. Anywho, does it actually cause problems?
It shouldn't, it can be considered "good practices" to have it match up, but I wouldn't consider it necessary.

DXT3 textures use alpha, DXT1 textures don't. While not really a bug, in FE, importing with either DXT1 or DXT3 set the alpha flag to 1 by default. This was inherited by CBox.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 November 2008 00:57]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #47471 is a reply to message #41627] Sat, 22 November 2008 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EternalNoob
Hey, when you build this program, you need to make sure you build it as an x86 program, that way it will run properly on x64 systems.

I am assuming you built it in "Any CPU" mode, which tells it to run as a x64 program on 64bit machines, and as an x86 program on 32bit machines, this doesn't work with some libraries(ie, managed DirectX, etc,.). So it CTD's as soon as I start it.

The easiest fix is to find a Microsoft tool called Corflags.exe, you just need to run this command on the program("Corflags ChocolateBox.exe /32BIT+"), and it will change the CPU mode to x86, or better yet, just rebuild it with this in mind. (Ie, change the "Platform Target" to x86, should be under project settings, or config manager.(May not be available in the free versions of some .Net languages, so you would have to manually edit the build files, or use corflags..))

This discussion goes over the topic, ninth post from top.
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/TechOff/410567-C-Detect-32-b it-or-64-bit-OS/
---

Edit 1: The program works pretty good, I like it a lot, it makes doing stuff a lot easier, I did notice one little hitch with teleport markers, moving the teleport pad, doesn't move the marker, it stays wherever you originally placed the pad. (And a few times it forgot my rotational data, even though I saved it, so you might want to check that out.. I think it was the green axis, or the red one.. But it wasn't the Z(blue) axis, it works fine..)

Edit 2: I don't know if this is allowed or not, but just to be helpful, here is the .exe of CBox, I simply ran Corflags on it to make it run under x64 properly, if posting this is a problem, let me know, and I will remove it.. This will only fix the problem of the .exe not working at all, on an x64 system. Nothing else.

Whether you think you can, or can't, you're right.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 November 2008 23:12]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #47809 is a reply to message #41627] Mon, 08 December 2008 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OrionSR wrote on Fri, 05 December 2008 22:47

Is there a method to extend the functionality of CBox so that it is possible to add contents to things besides Chests, Barrels, and Digging and Fishing spots? CBox can display the contents of Scarecrows, Bookcases, and Cabinets but adding items appears to require manual editing.

You'll need to edit tngdefinitions.xml file in the data folder.

EternalNoob wrote on Sat, 22 November 2008 21:51

Hey, when you build this program, you need to make sure you build it as an x86 program, that way it will run properly on x64 systems.

I am assuming you built it in "Any CPU" mode, which tells it to run as a x64 program on 64bit machines, and as an x86 program on 32bit machines, this doesn't work with some libraries(ie, managed DirectX, etc,.). So it CTD's as soon as I start it.

Oh, that is it. Thanks for the fix.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #48140 is a reply to message #41627] Sun, 28 December 2008 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a heads up if people are still using this, some of the crashes relating to object deletion happen when you select (aka click) one object more than once.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #48756 is a reply to message #41627] Thu, 22 January 2009 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
I've a couple more suggestions. I've actually been thinking about these for a while, but I haven't gotten around to mentioning them until I posted this, and thought it worthwhile to bring it up.

Would it be possible to have CBox read into the models for certain helpers, namely:
HDMY_CREATEBUILDING-any BUILDING entry
HDMY_CREATEOBJECT-any OBJECT entry

and have the meshes assigned to those entries be shown as well? The point of origin, the place where the meshes would spawn in relation to the tng coordinates for the base model, is given by the position and rotation of the helper.

Another thing to mention, some game.bin entries have a CMultiStaticMeshDef giving it more than one mesh. I've noticed this especially for buildings. In CBox, only the mesh for the game.bin entry for the tng definition is shown, meaning only the interior or exterior would be shown. If possible, having CBox look into the entries that have the CMultiStaticMeshDef and throwing in the other meshes would fix this.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 January 2009 10:58]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #48762 is a reply to message #41627] Thu, 22 January 2009 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
ChocolateBox needs a specific environment to work properly.

It extracts the levs/tngs from the FinalAlbion.wad file, then renames the FinalAlbion.wad file. By doing this, Fable uses the levs/tngs instead and CBox can easily edit make level edits to individual files. It also edits the userst.ini file, changing UseLevelWAD TRUE; to UseLevelWAD FALSE;. Though this is an unnecessary edit, it's classic, timeless, and has been done for eons, so I'm guessing it's tradition or somesuch.

The list of problems ChocolateBox can experience when setting up the modding environment is short and common.

Too many FinalAlbions
Simple yet complex
Edit: Glad you got it working. I'll just leave this here in case anyone else needs it.

In fact, suggestion #3 for BayStone today:
If CBox could be made to look for _FinalAlbion.wad, as well as the FinalAlbion directory, in addition to the FinalAlbion.wad, could it be made to figure out that all that's going on is an excess file? This would stop a lot of future headaches.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2009 10:21]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #48825 is a reply to message #48762] Sun, 25 January 2009 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll see what I can do.

EDIT:

JohnDoe wrote on Thu, 22 January 2009 19:36

Another thing to mention, some game.bin entries have a CMultiStaticMeshDef giving it more than one mesh. I've noticed this especially for buildings. In CBox, only the mesh for the game.bin entry for the tng definition is shown, meaning only the interior or exterior would be shown. If possible, having CBox look into the entries that have the CMultiStaticMeshDef and throwing in the other meshes would fix this.

CBox loads both the interior and exterior when it notices that the object has that CMultiStaticMeshDef, but the interior is only shown when the camera is inside its bounding volume.

Busy!

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2009 03:28]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #48894 is a reply to message #48825] Sat, 31 January 2009 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alomst there...

index.php?t=getfile&id=7290&private=0
  • Attachment: test.jpg
    (Size: 107.65KB, Downloaded 2738 times)

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #48919 is a reply to message #48894] Mon, 02 February 2009 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, an update of sorts. I'm not updating the first post, 'cause this isn't really final... call it Beta or something. It might work just fine, it might not. If it doesn't, it's an f'ing shame. Rolling Eyes

If we were living in Theory this would work just fine and it would fix most of the issues mentioned in this thread. Laughing

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #48921 is a reply to message #48919] Mon, 02 February 2009 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
It looks and works just fine for me. I even tried a few typical user errors mentioned throughout the thread and didn't have a problem, good work. Smile
I also wanted to work in a string theory joke, but couldn't think of one that would both fit and be funny.
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50252 is a reply to message #41627] Mon, 23 March 2009 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
I've a request.

James Butts actually brought this one to my attention. When trying to spawn items to filler maps, CBox tosses an error. This is because there is no quest section for CBox to put the tng item in. The tngs will just say "Version 2;" or something like that.

Could CBox be made to add a NULL quest section to such tngs? It's a small, but it's still something to be desired. Smile
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50262 is a reply to message #50252] Mon, 23 March 2009 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe wrote on Mon, 23 March 2009 09:58

I've a request.

James Butts actually brought this one to my attention. When trying to spawn items to filler maps, CBox tosses an error. This is because there is no quest section for CBox to put the tng item in. The tngs will just say "Version 2;" or something like that.

Could CBox be made to add a NULL quest section to such tngs? It's a small, but it's still something to be desired. Smile

Oh, right, of course. I'll fix that.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50315 is a reply to message #50262] Wed, 25 March 2009 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fixes. Like that one above. I think. Very Happy

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50357 is a reply to message #41627] Thu, 26 March 2009 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Butts wrote on Thu, 26 March 2009 20:53

I just noticed a sort of glitch thingy, sometimes, when you've saved and closed cbox, then go to open the level again, it may have some items wrongly placed, sometimes all the way across
the map, and when I go in game, it is also out of place, and once the item goes through this glitch, it's misplace every time you open it and close it, I don't know if you've noticed or looked into it at all, but it is a terribly annoying glitch, and strongly interferes with my modding progress.

I think'll need a little bit more information. What kind of objects are these, are they children of other objects, where does this happen, etc.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50391 is a reply to message #41627] Sat, 28 March 2009 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thor23 wrote on Sat, 28 March 2009 21:09

I tried using this program for the first time and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded a mod package and loaded it into ChocolateBox, then I clicked "Apply" (I also tried clicking "Get Modified" on my second attempt), then I clicked "Save and run Fable". So the game starts normally, but when I try to load a saved game or start a new game, it crashes.

I recommend using FableExplorer for the mod package stuff. There may still be a few things CBox doesn't do properly when it comes to FMPs.

Also, the "Get Modified" button is for building FMPs rather than applying them.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50420 is a reply to message #50391] Sun, 29 March 2009 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Feature Request: Object Replacement

Say I place an object, and get it positioned just right, and then I realize I used the quest item version, or the fence I used doesn't match the fences around it. I'd just select all the pieces, and up next to where it says what object it is, I'd just click the change button and select an item. Poof, maybe at most I would just have to move the objects a little to make up for differences in size.

Re: ChocolateBox [message #50743 is a reply to message #41627] Wed, 15 April 2009 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DarkenedSoul wrote on Sun, 12 April 2009 19:26

Bug report: If you use the region editor, finish and save, then save and run fable, once you've closed fable, if you open the region editor back up, the window you view the region in is just a black box. Meaning you can't view regions anymore until you restart the software.

More a feature than a bug actually. Very Happy It's because of DirectX and my lack of willpower to start dealing with lost surfaces. Rolling Eyes

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50762 is a reply to message #50743] Fri, 17 April 2009 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Another cool feature would be a tng cleaner, that would search the tng files for errors and spawned objects that don't exist (so if you edited it manually and typed it in wrong, instead of crashing the game it would be removed when the tng got cleaned)

--EDIT--

Also, I cannot seem to use the restore function on files after backing them up from within CBox

[Updated on: Mon, 20 April 2009 13:56]

Re: ChocolateBox [message #50838 is a reply to message #50762] Wed, 22 April 2009 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Administrator

Here's an alternate tng definitions file for CBox to display Cameras and Camera Splines and edit them. Good for messing with cutscenes. Just put it in the data folder in the CBox folder.

Re: ChocolateBox [message #50841 is a reply to message #50762] Wed, 22 April 2009 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morerunes wrote on Sat, 18 April 2009 09:21

Another cool feature would be a tng cleaner, that would search the tng files for errors and spawned objects that don't exist (so if you edited it manually and typed it in wrong, instead of crashing the game it would be removed when the tng got cleaned)

I'm not sure I want to write to code to fix problems that other people make on their own. Smile I'll try to fix problems that I make, but...

morerunes wrote on Sat, 18 April 2009 09:21

Also, I cannot seem to use the restore function on files after backing them up from within CBox

"Seem to use" as in what?

Good job on the definitions.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #50863 is a reply to message #50841] Wed, 22 April 2009 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
morerunes wrote on Wed, 22 April 2009 06:26

Here's an alternate tng definitions file for CBox to display Cameras and Camera Splines and edit them. Good for messing with cutscenes. Just put it in the data folder in the CBox folder.
Way to go. Smile
I've been meaning to put some time into that myself, for TrackNodes and Things and various other scripts, as well as finishing off the CTC definitions.
BayStone wrote on Wed, 22 April 2009 07:54

I'm not sure I want to write to code to fix problems that other people make on their own. Smile I'll try to fix problems that I make, but...
Agreed. Very Happy
Re: ChocolateBox [message #52376 is a reply to message #50863] Mon, 29 June 2009 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Thread pruned for the billionth time.

New rule - If your problem/question/suggestion/commentary is related to a mod, post in the thread for the mod. Only post in the thread for the tool if your problem/question/suggestion/commentary is related to the tool. Anyone who continues to post mod problems in the FE/CBox threads will have their posts deleted, not moved.
Re: ChocolateBox [message #52675 is a reply to message #41627] Fri, 10 July 2009 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another one of these beta updates.

Busy!
Re: ChocolateBox [message #52957 is a reply to message #52675] Tue, 21 July 2009 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
nicomon is currently offline  nicomon
Bug report: whenever you move something on the blue or red axis, it also moves slightly on the green, too.

I divided by zero and survived.
Two of Diamonds, people. This is important.
Previous Topic: Script to allow modification of Fable
Next Topic: Xporter for 3ds Max 2008-2015
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:17:16 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01729 seconds