Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Site » General Discussion » Save mods and run fable question
icon5.gif  Save mods and run fable question [message #47321] Mon, 17 November 2008 13:16 Go to next message
SilverHineko is currently offline  SilverHineko

First off, I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question to anyone. And yes, I tried searching for the answer. That being said, thanks for any of your help and your time.

All right, First things first: When you use "Save mods and run fable" it literally saves the mods? So, I don't have to keep opening up Fable explorer and re-running them.

Let's say due to a part of stupidity on my part, lack of sleep and just general non thinking I re-open and save/run the same mods that were 'saved' from before about two or three times. Could this cause instability in the game? I noticed my fable crashed twice, unknown causes, perhaps some program (such as my IM being left logged on)screwed it up resulting in a crash or a random act of god.

Upon a good night of sleep I'm starting to think maybe redundant save/run did it. So, I guess I'm trying to see if my understanding is correct and I'm wondering what happens if you save/run the same mods too many times and its effects.

Also a shout out thanks to all you modders out there. Thanks for all your hard work!

[Updated on: Mon, 17 November 2008 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Save mods and run fable question [message #47325 is a reply to message #47321] Mon, 17 November 2008 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
SilverHineko wrote on Mon, 17 November 2008 15:16

When you use "Save mods and run fable" it literally saves the mods? So, I don't have to keep opening up Fable explorer and re-running them.
Right. FE opens the game archives, applies the mods (makes a series of changes as determined by the mod), then recompiles the edited archives, making the mods more or less a permanent change.

I re-open and save/run the same mods that were 'saved' from before about two or three times. Could this cause instability in the game?
It depends on the mod. The bin editing wouldn't at all pose a problem. The the textures and models could cause a problem, through corrupt entries. Still, this is fixable. Rename the new models, textures and text entries, apply changes each time you change the name, then use the mods again. If the mods were only definition edits, nothing to worry about, and the crashes are unrelated to that particular action, but it is still possible that you used a bad mod or that you used conflicting mods that would cause a crash. A list of the mods you used will help us quickly determine where to look for problems.

Also a shout out thanks to all you modders out there. Thanks for all your hard work!
Appreciation is always appreciated. Very Happy
Re: Save mods and run fable question [message #47327 is a reply to message #47325] Mon, 17 November 2008 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Phew, I was kinda worried about being chewed out. ^^"

I got them all from the definition edits section.

Here's what I had:

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3543& ;start=0&

The easy fable trainer mod: Bonus with FablePain and No Silver Key. All three were in use. The mods were running fine too, working like they should have. Was definitely happy to get a no age mod working. (It's why I came here =D)

http://fabletlcmod.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2304& ;start=0&

Also working. The sharigan eye mod. Was working too.

That's it. I only had those 4 .fmps up and running.

Eheh. Is it just me or are you famous around here JohnDoe? You're like on all the threads on here and stuff....Either way, to me you are. =P
Re: Save mods and run fable question [message #47328 is a reply to message #47327] Mon, 17 November 2008 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
SilverHineko wrote on Mon, 17 November 2008 16:20

I got them all from the definition edits section.
Yea, those will be fine. Those just overwrite the same entries so it's like copy and pasting the same thing over the same thing over the same thing (getting the repetitive effect in there I hope Smile).

The sharigan eye mod.
That one could potentially be a problem because of the texture, but in this case I think not, you'd notice right away and the crashes wouldn't be random.

Is it just me or are you famous around here JohnDoe? You're like on all the threads on here and stuff....Either way, to me you are. =P
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'd say I'm around top 25, maybe top 10. This includes those who are now inactive. Of the active members, definitely top 10. Cool

[Updated on: Mon, 17 November 2008 14:31]

Re: Save mods and run fable question [message #47331 is a reply to message #47328] Mon, 17 November 2008 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Do you recommend starting a new profile when using new mods? With patches they suggest starting a new game for it to go into effect, is that the same with these mods here?

Yes, crashes seem random, not like on a timer or anything. Not when I load or change something or enter X, I see no pattern so I'm assuming I just had some bad gaming luck. Will just have to save often.

I'd agree, in every part of the forums you're there. I wouldn't be too shocked if you were top 10. JohnDoe FTW!

** I don't like variations of my name, thanks though. **

[Updated on: Mon, 17 November 2008 15:01] by Moderator

Re: Save mods and run fable question [message #47333 is a reply to message #47331] Mon, 17 November 2008 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
Again, it depends on the mods. The ones that you used should be okay without a restart.
The crashes could be either a levels-related thing if you've done any editing with them, but even then it'd be specific to a certain region, so yea, back to what you said, it could be other programs, could be your set up, some weird string of code in your machine that is self aware and decides that it doesn't like Fable. I don't know.
Re: Save mods and run fable question [message #47334 is a reply to message #47333] Mon, 17 November 2008 15:31 Go to previous message

Err, sorry I misspelled your screen name.

>some weird string of code in your machine that is self aware and decides that it doesn't like Fable

But, I'm not on Vista. Neutral

Anyways, that's about it. This thread can be locked or something. Thanks you so much for the help. Questions solved. Another n00b saved by the powers of JohnDoe.
Previous Topic: problems downloading fe and mods
Next Topic: TLC mods
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:59:51 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01278 seconds