Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Need help with a texture
Need help with a texture [message #50711] Mon, 13 April 2009 13:27 Go to next message
Reznik is currently offline  Reznik
Ok, so I'm trying to retexture the bandit gloves and using FE I thought I had. Turns out I only retextured the object(like if they were laying on the ground) not the gloves you actually wear. So I'm wondering if somebody can help me figure out the name of the texture for the bandit gloves that appear on your hands.

From what I can tell the texture should start with TEXTURE_HERO_BANDITCAMP... but the only texture That I can find with that heading is the bandit helm.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 14:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help with a texture [message #50713 is a reply to message #50711] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
To find textures in FableExplorer, you can open the entry that has a graphic that uses them, then open the mesh entry from that root game.bin entry, then browse the materials for texture IDs. After a while you just kinda figure out where everything is though.
I'll do one for you.

game.bin >> OBJECT entries >> 3411 - OBJECT_HERO_BOOTS_BANDITCAMP.
With most non-clothing entries, you can go to the C8636B2E - Graphic listing of the root game.bin entry to find the mesh used.
But with clothing, hair, beards, mustaches and horns, you need to go to the CAppearanceModifierDef, so browse the CDefs to find the CAppearanceModifierDef.

In the CAppearanceModifierDef, you'll see an array labeled "Appearance Clothing M" that lists the mesh entries used. Clicking the links opens the mesh entry. Switch to the Materials tab in the mesh entry. This will list the submeshes in the left panel. Click on one of the submeshes to see information pertaining to it in the right panel. The value for Base Texture ID is the ID of the texture you want.

So I've opened MESH_HERO_BANDITCAMP_BOOT_L_01 by clicking the link in the CAppearanceModifierDef, switched to the Materials tab, clicked on the submesh labeled "Legs", and I see that the texture it uses is 1551.

Grab all of the IDs used by all of the meshes used by all of the root game.bin entries, then pull them from the game.bin.

There is still more to do, because like the guard suit, the bandit suit uses some of the same textures as the actual bandits. To edit these without editing the bandits as well, export the textures, edit them as you please, reimport them over the same textures (set alpha to 0 and such, note that even if it doesn't show changes, changes are made, the preview just hasn't refreshed, but you can force it to refresh by reopening the entry, or clicking Open then canceling the dialog. Rename the texture entries and click Apply Changes. When you're done, right-click the textures.big in FableExplorer and click Save Changes as BIG. Close and restart FableExplorer, right-click the textures.big again, and select Merge BIG. Load the freshly made BIG and the new and edited textures will appear at the bottom. There's still more to do though, you need to link the new textures to the mesh entries.

Go to the mesh entries the same way as before, through the OBJECT >> CAppearanceModifierDef and such. Go back to the Materials tab, and change the Base Texture ID to the texture ID of the new texture, which will be on the bottom of the textures.big, so easy to find to open and find the ID of the entry.

Now, one last note, for clothing that has dark, neutral and bright variants, the OBJECT entry will have a CTextureReplacementDef. This makes it very easy to grab the textures because the original (neutral) textures are listed as well as the textures used by the variant (dark or bright), and all you need to do is edit the textures listed in the CTextureReplacementDefs of the dark and bright variants.

And remember, always, always make backups, you will screw up.
Re: Need help with a texture [message #50716 is a reply to message #50713] Mon, 13 April 2009 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reznik is currently offline  Reznik
Oh ok, thanks John. A little more work than I thought but definatley doable. Also, I'm glad I waited for a response cause I didn't realize some of the bandit suit textures were linked to the npc bandits.

Re: Need help with a texture [message #50718 is a reply to message #50716] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Reznik wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 21:11

Oh ok, thanks John. A little more work than I thought but definatley doable.
Not a problem. And don't worry, this stuff is really easy to understand after a while, especially after you figure out where everything is and such.
Re: Need help with a texture [message #50744 is a reply to message #50718] Thu, 16 April 2009 01:35 Go to previous message
jwc2200 is currently offline  jwc2200

Administrator

If you don't mind some of the bandits having clothes that look like the hero's you can changes these:
Shirt, pants, boots and gloves:
TEXTURE_BANDIT_TORSO_B_04
TEXTURE_BANDIT_LEGS_A_04

Hat-hero only(it's an alpha, use DXT3 and leave the alpha as 1):
TEXTURE_HERO_BANDITCAMP_HEAD_NEUTRAL

Previous Topic: frostmourne
Next Topic: Blender Sword Template
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:19:11 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00997 seconds