Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Fable TLC » Discussion » Graphics Editing » Broken models aren't broken!!!
Broken models aren't broken!!! [message #51485] Fri, 29 May 2009 13:15 Go to next message
JohnDoe is currently offline  JohnDoe

Retired
Okay, so anyone who has ever toyed with models to any moderate extent knows that they can't do anything with the longsword models, Thunder's sword, and a few other things. I know why, and I have tested and proved this theory.

It's the name of the submesh. It's so damned crazy that such a little thing has had people stumped for so long.

Anything with the terms word, dword, or sword will appear to be borked. This is because these terms are used in data interpretation, so it misinterprets the label and breaks!

The fix is easy too. In FE, before exporting the model, switch over to the appropriate tab, click the appropriate submesh that is labeled as sword, and change the name! Apply changes, then export.

This happens to more than swords because LH devs have found it worthwhile to mislabel submeshes in other models in the graphics.big. The crossbow bolts, for example, are labeled as "mouth" if I remember correctly. So when a model fails to load in something, check the submesh names for any technical terms that might be screwing up the program you're using.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 03:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Broken models aren't broken!!! [message #51725 is a reply to message #51485] Thu, 04 June 2009 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

Damn. How stupid is that. All hail JohnDoe for leading us to the true path!

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: Broken models aren't broken!!! [message #52079 is a reply to message #51725] Mon, 15 June 2009 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Butts is currently offline  James Butts
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm Confused wtf, I think that's dumb!!!!! and it doesn't make too much sense.....

Dammit
Re: Broken models aren't broken!!! [message #52081 is a reply to message #52079] Mon, 15 June 2009 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Retired
James Butts wrote on Mon, 15 June 2009 21:35

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm Confused wtf, I think that's dumb!!!!! and it doesn't make too much sense.....
Yea it does. If you check out the top of any model, you'll see how it tells whatever program using it how to read the file. So if a data type is mentioned somewhere where it isn't supposed to be, such as sword, dword, word, int, sint, or any symbols like -, +, &, ^, =, *, etc., in such a way that it misinterprets is and doesn't recognize it as part of the name of the mesh, it gets all confuzzled and breaks.
Re: Broken models aren't broken!!! [message #52094 is a reply to message #52081] Tue, 16 June 2009 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldBoy is currently offline  OldBoy

Administrator

I think you should sticky this John, I would - but can't.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1640/48x48exit.png
this is not an exit.
Re: Broken models aren't broken!!! [message #52095 is a reply to message #52094] Tue, 16 June 2009 03:32 Go to previous message

Retired
OldBoy wrote on Tue, 16 June 2009 05:29

I think you should sticky this John, I would - but can't.
I wanted to, but I was afraid it would look like I was abusing the power to do so. But people will trust your judgment. Wink
Previous Topic: A Video, Making Weapons Work in Fable, The Easy Way
Next Topic: Custom Tattoo Post
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:42:08 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01418 seconds